What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Generalzod

Immortal
My daughter is doing her masters of education at uni Wollongong, as of next semester all classes are on line...

jim_57

Staff member
Regarding the Warriors, could they use as many players who are willing to stay as possible including NSW Cup players? Then just rotate the rest going home then coming back after a month or so with their family.

I know it's all probably redundant if the comp gets postponed anyway, that and they'll be lucky to win any more games this season with an ever changing half reserve grade squad.

franklin2323

Immortal
Here is something interesting

Large flu studies where a big group of people are followed around and tested for the flu show it's way more common and mild than people think.

Like 70% of people with the flu either show no symptoms at all or very mild cold like symptoms

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu

Here is an example of one such study

So it's probably closer to a million a year at a minimum get infected with influenza if your numbers are right for what was reported.

People only get tested if it's a flu that's kicking their arse

I don’t go if I have the flu. If a week later I am still sick then will. I am sure others are the same

BunniesMan

Immortal
Not a good look having an organisation with a billion dollar contract whinge about getting government handouts when the government is flat out trying to avoid the health system collapsing in the coming months. Footy is a low priority.

Besides, any bank in the country would happily give the NRL a loan. As good as gold guarantee that they will have countless years of TV revenue into the future once this passes.

Jatz15

Juniors
Not everyone needs to be hospitalised with COVID-19 either. Infact plenty probably wouldn't get tested in normal circumstances
And if that vaccine isn't available until next year?
You would think the aim is Northern Hemisphere winter we can't put everything on hold until then
Its a pandemic. Nobody is immune, it spreads exponentially, there isnt a vaccine for the vulnerable. If flu put the same percentage of people in intensive care that Covid 19 does, and all 100 000 cases occurred over a 2 month period, then you bet, they would shut everything down.

If you have a bad car accident in a fortnight, do you want a hospital to have a bed for you, or you ok with getting your intensive care in the car park?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe one of the good things to come out of this will be the NRL and clubs realising that pssing away all the money they earn every year isnt a great strategy. It shouldn't cost $28mill a year to run a club and it shouldn't cost the NRL $500mill a year to run the comp. Reign it in and build yourself a buffer for future difficult times.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys mentioned they are chartering flights for the clubs this weekend. Makes sense, travel aside the players would have to be some of the lowest risk people in the country. Chartering flights takes away even more for the risk for them.

Pommy

Coach
Maybe one of the good things to come out of this will be the NRL and clubs realising that pssing away all the money they earn every year isnt a great strategy. It shouldn't cost $28mill a year to run a club and it shouldn't cost the NRL $500mill a year to run the comp. Reign it in and build yourself a buffer for future difficult times.

what are you basing your figures on? What should it cost and how do you come to those figures?

franklin2323

Immortal
Its a pandemic. Nobody is immune, it spreads exponentially, there isnt a vaccine for the vulnerable. If flu put the same percentage of people in intensive care that Covid 19 does, and all 100 000 cases occurred over a 2 month period, then you bet, they would shut everything down.

If you have a bad car accident in a fortnight, do you want a hospital to have a bed for you, or you ok with getting your intensive care in the car park?

According to that tracker thing online 7% of cases go to intensive care. Given we have 350 cases (so far) the numbers are still very low across the population.

Awareness would be up. I would imagine International travel down. No reason to see why the places needs to shut down for even a month

franklin2323

Immortal
Vlandys mentioned they are chartering flights for the clubs this weekend. Makes sense, travel aside the players would have to be some of the lowest risk people in the country. Chartering flights takes away even more for the risk for them.

It is why I am fine with them playing