What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

RufusRex

Post Whore
Why move frizz. I thought his attack was good last night he threatened more than anyone else yes he mucked up the last pass but is the best I’ve seen him running where he should be for years

Because my opinion is that Friz in the middle and Ford on the edge makes the team stronger than Graham in the middle and Friz on the edge.

For all Friz's work on the edge the tigers steam rolled us up the middle with ease.

possm

Coach
I'm happy to leave Lomax at FB. Sailor is the only other viable option and he's not up to it defensively.

Was a shame we lost Rava, he was looking like our best attacking option before he went off. TBH, what we started with last night looks to be our strongest backline, unless we can somehow fast track Saab and turn Rava into a centre.

Ideally we should just bite the bullet and get an established FB (like AJ from Souths), stick Lomax in at right centre, and suddenly our backline is not so crap.
There are many options available however, if we do not have cap space left, we will have to find the solution from within.

Fuimaono played well last night however, in my opinion he would be even more valuable off the bench.

Ravalawa seems to have bulked up during the off season and on his performance last night, I'd say he is our best available right centre while ever Lomax is at fullback. So, Saab to the right wing and Pereira to have a better game in round 2.

We desperately need to make some changes in the halves as well. While I think Norman should be dropped, at this stage I'd really like to see Hunt to 9 until McInnes returns and Clune to halfback. I want to see if this makes a difference to Norman's game or not. In any case, if Clune kills it at halfback then when McInnes returns, Hunt to 6 and Norman dropped to CC.

possm

Coach
Why move frizz. I thought his attack was good last night he threatened more than anyone else yes he mucked up the last pass but is the best I’ve seen him running where he should be for years
Pereira should have stepped inside to take a pass from Frizell and race to the line or promote the ball further to his right. Instead he stayed outside on line that was well and truely covered by the Tigers defence.

sa1nt5

Juniors
Competent at fullback. Defensively very good and seemed to be everywhere in support, even if our other players dont know how to offload. I liked the grubber for a try, if was a touch long but maybe a quicker winger gets there. He deserves to keep the fullback jersey this year both on his play so far and the fact that there's simply noone better at the club, but he's not a natural there.

I'd be looking at bringing Ramsey in via the wing this year with an eye to put Lomax back to centre next year, or at the very least these 2 can compete for the jersey.
To be fair Tedesco has runs in the board—
Dally M Fullback Of The Year
2016, 2019
RLPA Player of the Year
Brad Fittler Medal
2018, 2019
Dally M Player Of The Year
Peter Frilingos Memorial Award
Wally Lewis Medal
2019 stars: tackle busts (124), line breaks (25) and average running metres (187). He ran for 204 metres against Penrith and had an off day in defence, one he has in the bank if a fullback can have an account that is.

If Lomax was everywhere in support I’ll have to have another look as I missed that, Friz may have got to the line himself when he threw a dud pass but Lomax should have been there, no where else, our second row are wrecking machines who attract defenders like flies to shit.
Everything else he done was good enough and he will take it on board and train more on these things, but his positional play in attack should be ingrained through 10 years of playing the game.
Mary shouldn’t have to tell him that if Friz or Tariq get the ball, he as the fullback has to be coming fast on the inside, to put the defence in two minds as to help stop our edge forwards, who both have an offload, and are handful for any 2 defenders alone or to hang off and risk an offload.
In saying Mary shouldn’t have to, it is inconceivable he didn’t reinforce the point to young Zac, he probably didn’t.

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
I think we saw glimpses of what we can do with Friz on the edge running at smaller defenders.

But it all goes to shit unless the centres and wingers can go with him.

What I saw on the weekend certainly wasn't Creagh, Cooper and Bmoz.

RufusRex

Post Whore
I think we saw glimpses of what we can do with Friz on the edge running at smaller defenders.

Derek Zoolander cant run right .. That left angle is perfect now for getting on the outside of an edge player and into the gap between edge forward and centre/half

possm

Coach

Once our Club realizes that success is built on a strong, tallented and experienced coach who understands the importance of high standards, discipline, and producing game plans that are geared to the strengths of his players we may one again be on the road toward greatness. Bennett is a prime example of such a coach at the Dragons (2010). Harry Bath (1977-1979) was another.

In my opinion Flanagan has the ability to do the same; the only problem is that the old boys club may install Dean Young into the head coach role for pure polical reasons.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Because my opinion is that Friz in the middle and Ford on the edge makes the team stronger than Graham in the middle and Friz on the edge.

For all Friz's work on the edge the tigers steam rolled us up the middle with ease.
Why weaken his best position. We need more middle players then. Ford is not a proven edge player at that level. Back up sure or benchman initially. We should drop Graham I agree and target some middles to buy pronto. Kerr Vaughan Lawrie for 13, Merrin, Buy 2 cheapie middles until lower grade players develop or ready just like Tigers did
We are more potent if we Leave our edges right where they are.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Why weaken his best position. We need more middle players then. Ford is not a proven edge player at that level. Back up sure or benchman initially. We should drop Graham I agree and target some middles to buy pronto. Kerr Vaughan Lawrie for 13, Merrin, Buy 2 cheapie middles until lower grade players develop or ready just like Tigers did
We are more potent if we Leave our edges right where they are.

Because up until last night Friz played up the middle anyway.

BLM01

First Grade
Pereira should have stepped inside to take a pass from Frizell and race to the line or promote the ball further to his right. Instead he stayed outside on line that was well and truely covered by the Tigers defence.
Because Frizz was always going to run through the gap outside his man at that angle close to the sideline. I don’t see Periera had any choice and if Friz hit the man with the pass like he should of we score
We need to practice our A and passing the ball at speed. We are the worst team in the comp at this part or the game or the simple draw and pass.
I’d have to watch it again

BLM01

First Grade
Because up until last night Friz played up the middle anyway.
Yeh with no affectt to our game plans and attack style. He is an edge player beast and his best Attacking game for us for ages was last night Except for that last pass as he is out of practice thx to Mary.

blacksafake

First Grade
He couldn’t keep up.

j0nesy

Bench
I can’t believe that some people are writing off Lomax after one NRL game at fullback. Sure the kid dropped a couple of highballs (in wet and windy conditions). Give the kid a bit of a go, it’s not like we have any eligible replacements knocking the door down and it’s not like we’re competing seriously for the premiership this season. Let’s see how he goes this season, if it doesn’t work out then Ramsey may be ready next season and Lomax can return to the centres.

Walpole

Juniors
So Lomax gets shafted after one game. Bet none of you saw that coming.

It's pretty hard to give a shit what happens with the Dragons at the moment. I guess it'll just be another 80 minutes of them waiting to be beaten, the likes of Norman and Lafai stumbling around like they've never played the game before, Benny Hunt looking like he's on the verge of tears, James Graham screaming at everyone while rattling off half a dozen 5 metre hit-ups etc. etc. etc.

Old Timer

Coach
So Lomax gets shafted after one game. Bet none of you saw that coming.

It's pretty hard to give a shit what happens with the Dragons at the moment. I guess it'll just be another 80 minutes of them waiting to be beaten, the likes of Norman and Lafai stumbling around like they've never played the game before, Benny Hunt looking like he's on the verge of tears, James Graham screaming at everyone while rattling off half a dozen 5 metre hit-ups etc. etc. etc.
LMFAO and cried at the same time.
The JG comment so vivid it is scary.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Frizell should have run over the top of the fullback and trusted Lomax to kick the goal imo.