What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

COVID-19

Vozzy

Juniors
What I want to know is isn't it just as likely if not more likely for a player to catch it when they are away from footy. Like if Cam Smith went shopping in Melbourne or to the beach whatever he would more likely catch it that way rather than teams playing at isolated stadiums.

What I want to know is isn't it just as likely if not more likely for a player to catch it when they are away from footy. Like if Cam Smith went shopping in Melbourne or to the beach whatever he would more likely catch it that way rather than teams playing at isolated stadiums.

I suppose that all players and officials and transporters would need to be isolated for 14 days and then taken to the secret oval, isolated again and the games commence.

And then when players get injured...

Catering....

hotels staff?

They won’t be living in tents. Not our ugly playing lot. Some of them wouldn’t be seen very ill driving a Camry.

Im afraid the only reasonable solution is to abandon the season.

Anything else is a logistical nightmare.

Footy will have to wait.

Full time players may have to be stood down and have to claim the unemployment.

Players on massive contracts will have to forgive and forget. They will lose expensive houses and nice cars. So be it.

During the last recession, gambling and alcohol did pretty well.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade

If you play rugby league you definitely aren't socially distancing yourself. You shouldn't be shaking hands with anyone let along tackling them and wrestling them to the ground.

cerberus

Coach
I suppose that all players and officials and transporters would need to be isolated for 14 days and then taken to the secret oval, isolated again and the games commence.

And then when players get injured...

Catering....

hotels staff?

They won’t be living in tents. Not our ugly playing lot. Some of them wouldn’t be seen very ill driving a Camry.

Im afraid the only reasonable solution is to abandon the season.

Anything else is a logistical nightmare.

Footy will have to wait.

Full time players may have to be stood down and have to claim the unemployment.

Players on massive contracts will have to forgive and forget. They will lose expensive houses and nice cars. So be it.

During the last recession, gambling and alcohol did pretty well.

people need hope . people need football even without crowds.
there must be some thing . the risk is lowest to youth , if the players are isolated to themselves
then the risk is low and only requires isolation if a player is infected 3 weeks (like brooks)

this is the balance society needs to make .
there must be a semblance of normality . football is the mania we need

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors

Shouldn’t the players isolate themselves so to make the game go ahead instead of possibly going under?
Surely it’s in their best interests

Tiger05

First Grade
people need hope . people need football even without crowds.
there must be some thing . the risk is lowest to youth , if the players are isolated to themselves
then the risk is low and only requires isolation if a player is infected 3 weeks (like brooks)

this is the balance society needs to make .
there must be a semblance of normality . football is the mania we need

The question is how do you do this and how do we change the rules for a couple of hundred people in society. I'd love to see the footy go ahead like this and I don't think the risk is too bad to the players. There could though be a massive risk to the players parents and grandparents etc.

There would also have to be some form of monitoring and care provided if they get really sick. One thing I think people aren't getting is that some people cop this bad despite their age.

This isolation business can’t work at all.

it’s going to take thousands of people in a remote area to supply goods and services to players and staff. They will need to contact the outside world all the time.

Food deliveries, pharma etc- you name it. No room for scores of league and personal doctors etc.

And any and every delivery person etc could have the virus.

The nrl think the game can be isolated? Ffs.

Do they think advertisers will have the money to buy slots on tv?

We might see maccas have to close it’s indoor restaurants soon. Boxes for cash and cards
instead of people at the drive thru. etc.

Entrepreneurs will be looking for ways to keep retail stores open.

We need 20,000 intensive care beds ( at the absolute minimum) more than we need a season of league.

We need the toughest rules possible, like now. I mean we need to make the Chinese Wuhan lockdown look like an Olympic opening ceremony.

Rations and all that if we need it.

There is a rumour that the city of Sydney, the cbd, will be cordoned off soon. Let’s see.

Good to be in the top 4 for a moment. Been awhile...

Last edited:

cerberus

Coach
The question is how do you do this and how do we change the rules for a couple of hundred people in society. I'd love to see the footy go ahead like this and I don't think the risk is too bad to the players. There could though be a massive risk to the players parents and grandparents etc.

There would also have to be some form of monitoring and care provided if they get really sick. One thing I think people aren't getting is that some people cop this bad despite their age.

in our current situation there are no examples
all teams have doctors as primary staff
grandmama maybe needs to watch from home , but is probably already circulating with the family

in our current environment mental health is as important as physical health

in our current situation there are no examples
all teams have doctors as primary staff
grandmama maybe needs to watch from home , but is probably already circulating with the family

This idea cannot meet its objectives in any shape, way or form.

NRL in 2020 will be extended off season and we need to come to grips with it.

A lot of players don’t really want to play under these circumstances. That’s fair enough too, I wouldn’t want to either.

Theres no social distancing etiquette in rugby league or at home.

cerberus

Coach
This idea cannot meet its objectives in any shape, way or form.

why ? i think most guys want/need to earn in their limited nrl career
NRL in 2020 will be extended off season and we need to come to grips with it.
why . we have a 100 years of learning on 1918 .
we know how shit works
A lot of players don’t really want to play.

cool , drop out . and they should receive a residual payment

cerberus

Coach
guys like tsp are of the highest quality and should be headed as the best among us

my proposition is that the mental health of our community is as important as its physical
health . we need to take some risks in this regard. to protect peoples mental health

football is that thing

1. There’s too many physical links to other people. This thing can be transmitted easily by people who aren’t showing any symptoms at all.

2. I’m not sure what you mean, but this is a pandemic killing people indiscriminately. We don’t know enough about it to save everyone who gets it. We haven’t learnt much at all. It took us forever to stop the influx of it.

3. I agree!

I agree about your mental health notes. That’s a big part of the puzzle to solve and in all seriousness, people will miss the routine of the season and it’s other attributes we are trained to love.

But we are already conditioned into off-seasons and some people will claim a large wad of federal dollars or other special resources into our game is “ sportist”

And some people don’t like the sport and they won’t get the benefits intended by nrl top up isolation playing etc.

Some people will be very pleased for no league. They think we are uncouth and pathetic.

Plus, and this is tough and not very p.c or caring but we have to put the resources into saving the physical body, because one cannot be depressed if one is dead. So given the acute choice...

And your point may be that some people, they will choose death over life without certain things. A lot of people made that choice on the Titanic and in war etc. Not everyone is self interested, true.

But will people suicide over no nrl? Hmmm.

There could be some indirect deaths from suicide with no league.

Not alone, but in combination with losing jobs, relationship pressures, adjusting to impoverishment etc. no hope somebody said. I can see that.

Unchartered waters Cerberus.

But yes, Mental Health is of critical importance in all facets of our lives.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
The NRL have already stated that they will stay on track as long as they can.

There are many thousands of people involved in getting all sport ready each week, if they are not getting paid, like everyone else, then the economy is at risk of collapse.

It should not be taken lightly, but as has been mentioned, we haven't really experienced this type of thing in our life times, but it should not be rushed, but controlled. Some people will unfortunately contact the virus, but they may have anyway.

Stay safe.

Tiger05

First Grade

I disagree. We need to handle this pandemic professionally. It's going to pass soon enough. It can either be horrific like in Italy or we can take precautionary measures to minimize the impact of the virus on the health of society.

I think that this is up to us and we can do it.

Das Hassler

Bench
A good first step would be 50k fines for ANY ex player now commentator offering any advice of "what they think is just fine n dandy".....example..Sam Burgess...a proven dickhead at large when he so chooses....Sam we dont need she"ll be right advice from proven dickheads....you know nothing...you're not a health professional. ...Please just SHUT THE F CK UP! plus you...joey and the rest of the ex's aren't out there are you? Cameron Smith IS!

I don't do social media. ...anybody ..please feel free to cut n n past into anywhere you like

Das Hassler

Bench
A view from the farside....i was due for open heart surgery in the next few days and it's just been cancelled....the hospitals will not open anyone up apart from the most dire cases for fear of virus infection . (Quote) "we cant know who may be unknowingly carrying it around the place and we cannot take the chance of opening you up". Well...the only time i would be opened up i'd have a surgical team above me....that's how dangerous this is.
BTW....The way a person dies from this is not a pleasant way to go

Tigerm

First Grade
A view from the farside....i was due for open heart surgery in the next few days and it's just been cancelled....the hospitals will not open anyone up apart from the most dire cases for fear of virus infection . (Quote) "we cant know who may be unknowingly carrying it around the place and we cannot take the chance of opening you up". Well...the only time i would be opened up i'd have a surgical team above me....that's how dangerous this is.
BTW....The way a person dies from this is not a pleasant way to go
Good to hear you are not a dire patient???...I thought they were surgicalled up with face masks, gloves etc? Stay safe.

I know this can be serious, but put into perspective, last year (2019) the flu killed 61,200 people world wide, approx. 1500 per year in Australia. This current virus, since first emerging in Wuhan in Dec 2019, as of March 16, coronavirus has killed 7,079 people worldwide (though number does move around depending who you read), these things unfortunately come and go. Take precautions (by all means) but you should be confident we will ride this out.
Stay calm & stay safe.

However, if people are worried. I have heard you can't get it, if you don't breathe:)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...ead-coronavirus-how-many-infected-coronavirus
https://time.com/5610878/2018-2019-flu-season/

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
I know this can be serious, but put into perspective, last year (2019) the flu killed 61,200 people world wide, approx. 1500 per year in Australia. This current virus, since Dec 2019 has killed 2,761 WW, these things unfortunately come and go. Take precautions (by all means) but you should be confident we will ride this out. Stay calm & stay safe.

I agree with all of this but we need to be really careful because this can blow up. Europe is screwed already. I reckon the US will be screwed as well.

I expect the death toll of COVID-19 will surpass the flu this season but I hope I'm wrong.

Tigerm

First Grade
I agree with all of this but we need to be really careful because this can blow up. Europe is screwed already. I reckon the US will be screwed as well.

I expect the death toll of COVID-19 will surpass the flu this season but I hope I'm wrong.
Looks like China is receding (if they are being truthful), so there is hope it will not be as bad.

I changed to COVD-19 deaths to date, it seems to change every time you read something. The new figure I quoted was the highest one that I have seen..

cerberus

Coach
I disagree. We need to handle this pandemic professionally. It's going to pass soon enough. It can either be horrific like in Italy or we can take precautionary measures to minimize the impact of the virus on the health of society.

I think that this is up to us and we can do it.
Yes you need a balance . Previous
Examples show us this will take another 4 months .
In 12 months time we will have a baby boom . Think about it .
Shit is gunna change real quick .
Sport is a calming infulence .

Latest posts