What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Quicksilver

Bench
More blow back for Vlandys

With $200 million taxpayers could fund 2000 more ventilators for hospitals - or provide generous support to the NRL ("Catastrophic", March 16). Apart from the huge amount of money sunk into three stadiums by the NSW government for the benefit of a number of football codes and the recent revelation of $12 million sports funding into a building not destined to be a sports centre at Penrith, there is another elephant in the room. The NRL football clubs are backed by wealthy, licensed clubs, which could foot the bill for subsidising a competition, and supported by management and the players, who are yet to tell us how much of their exorbitant annual salaries they intend to sacrifice. Penrith Panthers not only owns its mega local premises but also has assets in Newcastle and Port Stephens, licensed and with hundreds of poker machines. The players of some clubs earn more than $1 million a year. Australia wouldn’t be Australia without football? Peter V’landys must be joking. Australia wouldn’t be Australia without governments whose responsibility is for the health and wellbeing of its citizens. - Valerie Reynolds, Greenwich

So COVID-19 might signal the end of the NRL. As a vulnerable 82-year-old, I totally understand your worries and sympathise with the stress you must all be feeling. - Patricia Dunn, Gerringong

Is there no limit to the avarice of the football codes? They get billions of dollars of taxpayers' money for new stadiums, often built on public open space, while other forms of entertainment have to buy their own land and build their own facilities.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...come-before-rugby-league-20200316-p54aek.html

I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with Val Reynolds from Greenwich not getting on the bus.

franklin2323

Immortal
So they have a target date - but as information comes in they adjust.

The NHL were against allowing players to return to their homes. But now are doing so.
The NBA had a target date, but have already revised that to be much later.

You can't just 'get rid of the byes' unless you are also banning representative football. If it is all about the money - the NRL won't cancel Origin.

You are severely underestimating the extent and severity of this issues. No sport has a set date to return, and most are offering times that the situation will be reassessed.

Wow you are a glass half full person

https://www.nevermanagealone.com/20...ned-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-fantasy-fpl

Europe where it is out of control

Italiy - Serie A Apr 3 return date
Spain postponed 2 rounds no crowd until April 15
Germany still going to empty staduims
MSL - 30 day banning
EPL being reviewed Apr 3

IPL April 15

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...l-due-to-coronavirus/articleshow/74609776.cms

Outdoor sports are planning to be out a month or so. Yet here will go 3 months?

franklin2323

Immortal
It is that. But it is also a sign how seriously the people are taking it. We didn't see stories of this in Italy 2 weeks ago (did we?).
People aren't doing unnecessary things I think people are staying at home if they have any cold symptoms. etc.

That is it. Take a break by all means but education should make the spread be no where near as bad as they predict

Frailty

First Grade

https://www.nevermanagealone.com/20...ned-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-fantasy-fpl

MSL - 30 day banning
EPL being reviewed Apr 3

IPL April 15

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...l-due-to-coronavirus/articleshow/74609776.cms

Want to have a stab at how many of those sports are actually back on those dates?

You'll be lucky if it is one.

franklin2323

Immortal
Want to have a stab at how many of those sports are actually back on those dates?

You'll be lucky if it is one.

Hard to say being outside they might be right but IPL will given how big cricket is. It would be the travel and enclosed spaces that is the issue. Hence the NHL aiming for 60 days

Pommy

Coach

MSL - 30 day banning
EPL being reviewed Apr 3

IPL April 15

Nobody expects any of those leagues to start again on those dates. In the UK they’re not even expecting the virus to peak until early May.

sempmrh

Juniors
What we are seeing in the shops is a disgrace. Fuelled by the media and their fearmongering
Speaking from the perspective of someone who works for one of the big retailers, it's been like Christmas Eve every day - probably even bigger. In the past three days alone we've done almost the equivalent of a full week's trade. I just don't get it - people are buying anything and everything that isn't bolted down. If everyone just got an extra item or two of each of the essentials to keep in the cupboard the shelves wouldn't be perpetually empty. If you're stuck in the house for a couple of weeks you don't need to live in luxury - you'll survive. Calm the f**k down. Some people have it worse than you.

We've gone past the initial phase of panic buying. Now people are panic buying because they don't want the supposed 'real' panic buyers to clear everything out. It's not a supply issue causing the shelves to be empty - it's an irrational demand issue.

Springs09

Juniors
In the last 4 days, coronavirus cases have doubled in Australia, the graph has gone skywards. [Source]. Will be interesting to see how this pans out now that the restrictions are in place.

And yes, the curve is flattening in some countries. Not just China. In each case there were early protective measures.

I prefer to call it cautious optimism. The panic stations approach from some isn't helping things imo.

They have doubled in the last 4 days, but they doubled much quicker in other countries at the same stage.

How would it put us in a worse position than Italy when they have 27,000 cases and went from 400 to 12,000 in 2 weeks not 3?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Speaking from the perspective of someone who works for one of the big retailers, it's been like Christmas Eve every day - probably even bigger. In the past three days alone we've done almost the equivalent of a full week's trade. I just don't get it - people are buying anything and everything that isn't bolted down. If everyone just got an extra item or two of each of the essentials to keep in the cupboard the shelves wouldn't be perpetually empty. If you're stuck in the house for a couple of weeks you don't need to live in luxury - you'll survive. Calm the f**k down. Some people have it worse than you.

We've gone past the initial phase of panic buying. Now people are panic buying because they don't want the supposed 'real' panic buyers to clear everything out. It's not a supply issue causing the shelves to be empty - it's an irrational demand issue.

It is nuts and totally irrational but that's the stupidity of humans for you. For one of the most evolved species on the planet we really are dumb at times.

I couldnt understand why the pasta aisle was empty but the chocolate and crisps was full. I know what I'm eating if I have to bunker down for three weeks in front of the telly :)

Springs09

Juniors

They buy silly things too. I'm not in a city but the local Woolworths still has plenty of canned food, but all the bread and milk are gone. You know, those things that go off in a week.

franklin2323

Immortal

It is just crazy and rude for others

sempmrh

Juniors
It is nuts and totally irrational but that's the stupidity of humans for you. For one of the most evolved species on the planet we really are dumb at times.

I couldnt understand why the pasta aisle was empty but the chocolate and crisps was full. I know what I'm eating if I have to bunker down for three weeks in front of the telly :)

Oh and if anyone is wondering if staff are fishing through stock and picking out what we want before it goes on show for those animals to fight over - we absolutely are. I could have built a toilet paper fort if I wanted to over the weekend.

simmo05

Bench

Was at the shop today, and the only meat left was some delicious looking veal, smoked salmon and some very marbled ribeye. f**king peasants, I'm going to eat like a king

Perth Red

Post Whore
More flak for Vlandys

Doubtless, Quayle would be watching rugby league’s brazen dash-for-cash in recent days with interest. ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has been trying to wriggle out of his request on Sunday morning for financial help from the federal government, claiming in interviews he was “taken out of context”.

Which is curious considering he made it at a media conference on Sunday morning, which was broadcast live across various channels, in which he said he'd be "asking for $500 million and working down".

Few who watched his performance believed he was thinking about anything other than the NRL clubs and its players.

He has since claimed he was talking about the wider game, about those at grassroots level, which will surely bemuse those at the grassroots level who have been neglected for years as junior and bush clubs wither on the proverbial vine.

People are not idiots. They understand the importance of rugby league — of all sport — to society, especially in smaller communities. To now use those people at the coalface as an emotional bargaining chip to entice money out of Prime Minister Scott Morrison is galling.

Just as galling is the claim by some NRL clubs that they need government assistance to survive.

Are these the same clubs that sack coaches with two years to run on their contract after picking out the wrong man in the first place?

The same clubs that find themselves embroiled in salary cap scandals, and sex scandals, and Mad Monday scandals, all of which smash their bottom lines as sponsors and members run away?

The same clubs that sign lengthy contracts with veteran, injury-plagued players late in their careers?

The same clubs that are asking head office where the money is, after some of them — the Titans, Newcastle, Tigers and Dragons — needed to be rescued from insolvency or need a substantial cash injection to pay the bills?

The same clubs that are propped up by wealthy leagues clubs that record annual profits in the tens of millions of dollars?

To be even discussing out loud the notion of the taxpayer keeping these entities afloat is selfish and wrong.

Perhaps they should heed the words of Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, who said earlier this week: “Football always seems the most important of the least important things, and today football and football matches really aren’t important at all”.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...e-used-to-bail-out-sport-20200317-p54axd.html

Cactus

Juniors

kdalymc

Bench
Oh and if anyone is wondering if staff are fishing through stock and picking out what we want before it goes on show for those animals to fight over - we absolutely are. I could have built a toilet paper fort if I wanted to over the weekend.
build, post pics