What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

COVID-19

Tiger05

First Grade
Looks like China is receding (if they are being truthful), so there is hope it will not be as bad.

I changed to COVD-19 deaths to date, it seems to change every time you read something. The new figure I quoted was the highest one that I have seen..

China is receding and getting this under control but they have had strict social distancing practices in place. They are going to relax those restrictions and there may be more outbreaks.

If you look at what is happening now it does appear to be growing exponentially. It's a massive concern.

At the same time it's not that bad if our health systems can handle the outbreaks. I'm concerned though that people in Australia are still not getting the idea of social distancing.

Bit tough for Das, all the points aside, I hope you are given priority and are looked after.

Over in Italy the doctors are making choices about which patients to save.

So we have to listen to the experts and the media need to pull their heads in and not report on any crap.

I’m afraid the government may have to step in and outlaw reckless comments. Censorship for awhile even. We can have a debate about it later.

This is because we have to slow and stop this thing ASAP. If we don’t, people like Das won’t be able to be operated upon and cared for.

We all saw what happened in the pacific once those f**khead anti vac folk got the edge.

At work, we have distancing and three alcohol hands a day. The work place is cleaned properly after every day. Staff are encouraged to get their temperatures. Everyone is invited to work from home if they want.

I have to meet people for work, I will do my best but I’m resigned to getting it

Crazyperpman

Juniors
.i was due for open heart surgery in the next few days and it's just been cancelled.

Take Care mate. I sincerely hope what is in place here can curb our situation so we are not in the same position some countries in Europe are in now.

I am no expert and most here are not, but from where I sit it appears that the longer the first hit is delayed the softer the blow will be. At this point it is not "if" but "when" and the more this thing can be slowed down the better for all.

Footy is a game we all love, but at the end of the day its a game. If we need to miss out on our enjoyment to save lives I am all for shortening the season. Stop now, keep an eye on things and see when we can reconvene.

I also hope that when this all over,someone gets in and shuts these wet markets down. Absolutely ridiculous that after SARS occurred and the world dodged a bullet this has been allowed to occur.

Stay safe guys.

The unknown

Juniors
A view from the farside....i was due for open heart surgery in the next few days and it's just been cancelled....the hospitals will not open anyone up apart from the most dire cases for fear of virus infection . (Quote) "we cant know who may be unknowingly carrying it around the place and we cannot take the chance of opening you up". Well...the only time i would be opened up i'd have a surgical team above me....that's how dangerous this is.
BTW....The way a person dies from this is not a pleasant way to go

Take care mate and best wishes, reading stuff like this it makes me ashamed to support the NRL when they prioritise their greed over peoples lives who are actually at risk.

Vic Mackey

Referee
A view from the farside....i was due for open heart surgery in the next few days and it's just been cancelled....the hospitals will not open anyone up apart from the most dire cases for fear of virus infection . (Quote) "we cant know who may be unknowingly carrying it around the place and we cannot take the chance of opening you up". Well...the only time i would be opened up i'd have a surgical team above me....that's how dangerous this is.
BTW....The way a person dies from this is not a pleasant way to go

geez mate that’s horrible, I was blowing up about rolled oats being sold out at every super market last night, puts it Into perspective. All the best mate and hope you get through it

Well, both of the bosses aren’t coming in. One held a video conference with us. It’s like she has a bad cold, she’s not sure, but not taking chances.

Old mate lives in a very international area and the kids are being kept from school, so he’s working from home.

We have a health station set up for staff with alcohol rub, gloves etc, even toilet paper and napkins. Staff can take what they want, but there’s been no panic.

As from tomorrow, there’s rumours of staff
lock out until you wash hands and voluntary temperature taking.

Then the cleaning crew ( including me) we clean surfaces after hours. This is voluntary to help others. The others don’t know it’s us!

There’s so many rumours. I am expecting a massive lock down except for essential visits to certain places. I doubt they will stop doctor visits or shops etc.

Sterlo was on the internet saying the games should go on - no crowd, until someone gets the virus.

That one person can infect hundreds of people on and off the field.

That is like saying we should go to war until someone gets shot.

This is a really good example of what Das was warning us about. This is a really good example of why most nrl players should not get into media post career.

Peter Sterling is an idiot but I think he is being honest in his imbecility. If I was running the country, I’d have him off the air in 1 minute flat.

He really thinks it’s ok to knowingly risk all these folk and what about the poor person who has to get the virus to stop the nrl?

Peter will just have to spare us from his utter stupidity for a season. Too bad!

Cameron Smith turns out to be a leader of men after all. I’ve spent his whole career snubbing him, I feel bad now!

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Gotta say Im a bit embarrassed by the way some sporting codes are carrying on.
Sport is entertainment, its a hobby and a good way to waste time. However it is dispensable in a situation like this and they should all be shut down indefinetly.

The sporting, entertainment and education industries need to man up and listen to the experts. Business has been leading the way which is encouraging.

Btw, I agree that Peter Sterling is a greedy, self centered moron.
Scum like him are the problem in situations like this.

axl rose

Bench
Peter Sterling is an idiot but I think he is being honest in his imbecility. If I was running the country, I’d have him off the air in 1 minute flat.

Btw, I agree that Peter Sterling is a greedy, self centered moron.
Scum like him are the problem in situations like this.

Well said. The problem with people like him are that they go from high profile sports careers to cushy jobs in a commentary box. How much real-world 9 to 5 living have they done? I don't begrudge anyone their success but they have little perspective, and as Das has said they should not be giving health advice on national television! Good lord. Bennett was on his usual soapbox ranting about moving to a warmer climate because no-one will get the virus there. That myth was dispelled by health professionals months ago.

Last edited:
E2B5AB94-C4D8-4125-ACC5-C27E69D9708E.jpeg
The NRL were more than impressed by his intimate knowledge and outstanding contribution to the field of virology and containment.

At interview, he professed to have had a keen personal interest and fascination in the complementary topics since his very early days at Cambridge.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Like everyone here, I love NRL, and I thoroughly enjoy my Fox League and hearing their opinions on teams, matches...basically anything NRL. I have a few mates who don't follow it who love to knock NRL players and commentators for being "idiots", "simpletons" etc. I've always argued that they just sound dumb to these mates of mine because they (my mates) don't understand the finer points of the game.

It was only once the COVID-19 broke out I now realise what they were talking about....

But the flip side and there's always flip sides.

I have heard someone say on radio that Cam Smith can resign (or in his case retire). With his long career he would have set his family up. The young guys starting out in 1st grade are not on the same coin as Smith and need to be playing/employed.

Others in the workforce are not as well off, we can't just quit our jobs and have to travel by public transport to our places of work, we cannot work from home.

The AFL players want to play.

Cameron Smith turns out to be a leader of men after all.
Some think yes others well? As for leaders of men, I wish our PM was, he is reactive, he surely doesn't lead.

China is receding and getting this under control but they have had strict social distancing practices in place.
Be careful there, they lied from the start, can you trust them? If they have strict social distancing practices it's because the 'party' has stamped down hard on the recalcitrant's in the country. We do have to be aware that the global fatality rate is about 3.4% (I think, I read that yesterday) but that is, 3.4% of diagnosed cases have died. But for every diagnosed case, there are many undiagnosed milder cases who don't die - maybe by a factor of 2-3 times. We don't know the size of this group - we can't measure what we can't see. Its like the bit of an iceberg that is under water.

What % of the global will be infected by this virus. But many (probably most) will never know they had it.

We live in interesting times.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I have heard someone say on radio that Cam Smith can resign (or in his case retire).

Smith has been moaning about playing too much footy in a season for a long time. This is the perfect opportunity for him to whinge again.

As long as crowds are locked out and players are kept safe during the week of course they should be going to work on the weekend.

Tiger05

First Grade
Smith has been moaning about playing too much footy in a season for a long time. This is the perfect opportunity for him to whinge again.

As long as crowds are locked out and players are kept safe during the week of course they should be going to work on the weekend.

How many people are going to work now though. I'm not at work and I can video conference people who are at work and there looked to be a lot less people in the office. One girl in my team is at work and concerned but she also said public transport was extremely quiet.

I'd like to think the NRL season can go ahead. I think the players should be safe as they are not a high risk demographic. I just wonder about how the players interaction with the wider community will work.