What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Panthers

sa1nt5

Juniors
Yeah Mary's a knob but I don't actually mind the switch in this case. If Dufty had played against Wests you'd think we may have capitalized on the breaks we made - his speed and backing up was missing.
A competent coach would have tested / trialled Lomax at fullback in CC for a while. He needs proper training in the position. His try savers have been good value but he's clearly a confidence player who looks to be sh*tting himself in the position so far, especially under the high ball. He can play fullback I'm sure just needs a good coach and possibly a mentor ( ex fullback ) and some confidence.
100% correct. He was shitting himself alright. Fear was oozing from his body language. Brookes would have tested him all game without let up. If he stayed at FB this week, Cleary would have him rocking back and forth in the corner with a verbal and physical tic. Once he gets his positioning in attack right, he may well come to be regarded in the same light as Slater, Bowen, Minichiello, Mullins and the like.

kit66

Bench
100% correct. He was shitting himself alright. Fear was oozing from his body language. Brookes would have tested him all game without let up. If he stayed at FB this week, Cleary would have him rocking back and forth in the corner with a verbal and physical tic. Once he gets his positioning in attack right, he may well come to be regarded in the same light as Slater, Bowen, Minichiello, Mullins and the like.

Speaking of Mullins, when is that Cody Ramsey fella able to play in 1sts, can anyone tell me ?
Have you seen his hi-lites reel, it's 6 and a half minutes of him being amazing.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Mmmm

Train of thought here, and as someone already mentioned, there could be a late reshuffle. Dufty is 'returning' from a jaw injury si straight in to defend against the likes of Kikau, lmao.
In fact it's just not Kikau, Naden will be licking his lips, tall man up against short man, mmm yeah.
McGregor is super desperate, you could see that in his body language at the presser after the Tigers game, a game I'm sure he pencilled in as a saving grace for him.
As they say desperate times, desperate measures.
Can you hear the drums McGregor!

Penrith by plenty

I can only assume that Dufty has replaced Euan as Mary's No 1 pet. There is no basis in logic for his selection at FB- no sudden burst of form at any level where he's pulled off a try saving tackle from a rampaging Taumololo, caught a towering spiral bomb in the rain with the entire Brisbane forward pack charging down on him, been on one side of the field to save a 40/20 and then on the other to help shove the attacking winger over the touchline- just the sound of Mary's leap of entirely unjustified faith in a serial failure.

redv13

Bench
Mary is just a tool who never learns. Leave Lomax at fb and give him a decent crack (6-8 games) and go from there. So Dufty is in this week and if he plays poorly who’s up for the Raiders down there next week?? Slim Shady???

But Mary is a selfish moron who only thinks of his own ass and wants/needs early wins urgently. Sooner he returns to the Illawarra League the better.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Poor decision moving Lomax after only one game.
As others have said, give the guy a chance to own the spot.
However, l’m happy to have Dufty back and hope he adds some zip to a mundane backline / coaching profile that comes with McGregor.

Just hope McGregor doesn’t lose his balls and brings Atiken back.

Norman needs to get involved or get out.
If he doesn’t like the last two years, get real, man up and make his position his.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I understand the anger. If Lomax is dropped from fb permanently I'll be as angry as anyone - I've made a few posts saying he should be given plenty of time to settle in at the back as I believe he can become very good there. I was just thinking of this week and the options available. I'd be happy if we just replace Ravi with Saab ( I also want Saab in the 17 to tell you the truth ) but I think there's a problem there as he keeps being overlooked. I'd be happy with Lomax at left centre and Saad outside him too but again won't happen. I don't want Sailor or Dufty on the wing because they'll just get dragged into touch at every opportunity. So not really apologizing for anyone - especially our poor excuse for a coach.

when is the Bjorn Borg kid available to play first grade ?

I have to confess though that I like watching Dufty play, I miss it, for all his faults he can be electric not to mention win us games. And you have to admit we're not a very exciting team to watch right now otherwise.

Dufty can do that to you Kit- we remember the occasional sensational try and then use an internal erase button to forget the appalling defensive, high ball and ;positional errors (eg when he stayed at dummy half against Parramatta last year for a couple of tackles and Gutherson just said thank you as he broke the line and ran away to score a 50 metre try with no FB to stop him. A sensible, experienced FB would have communicated with his winger and told him to mind the shop while he was in the front line).

possm

Coach
Mmmm

Train of thought here, and as someone already mentioned, there could be a late reshuffle. Dufty is 'returning' from a jaw injury si straight in to defend against the likes of Kikau, lmao.
In fact it's just not Kikau, Naden will be licking his lips, tall man up against short man, mmm yeah.
McGregor is super desperate, you could see that in his body language at the presser after the Tigers game, a game I'm sure he pencilled in as a saving grace for him.
As they say desperate times, desperate measures.
Can you hear the drums McGregor!

Penrith by plenty

rasaint

Juniors
Some of the comments about Matt Dufty become very unbalanced. Matt Dufty has scored trys very few can. He won games in 2018 with his blistering speed and on the spot back up. His try against the Roosters try last year was a amazing and memorable. Breaking tackles outspacing the defence stepping and hurdling Teddy, inside out on Cooper Cronk straightening to beat Mitchell to the try line. Matt has his deficiencies agreed. He can get ‘ rag dolled’ and drops a few like most fullbacks but he has tackled competently. Matt suffered from no go forward last year ( as per the rest of team). No Nene carries, no JDB, no Leeson, injured Tariq, older James Graham to name a few.Teddy and Nickel Kronstadt we’re behind power packs and they had room.

I have an opinion that Zac Lomax is not a fullback, but can be a strong centre a bit in the Mick Beattie mould ( sort of Manu from Roosters). Mick moved well with agility, passed well for outside supports, defensive decisions sound and uncompromising. Mick lacked high end speed but still ran well and scored trys as the opportunities afforded. Roy Masters said that it was obvious Mick B had a spoiler on his car because he spoiled opposition backline attacks.

Zac can be our new Mick Beattie and that would be valuable.Plus Zac is a top end goal kicker.

As a fullback Zac will be ok at best. I have seen Zac drop balls from the kick off, dropped two last weekend and let Leilua seek one ( granted if the ball pulls up it can happen to anyone). Zac did some good things ie ran back hard, tackled well but fullback needs a dynamic high end speed player otherwise your season ends August.

possm

Coach
Dragons' season ends in March with the present coach.
Craig and Dean Young are very much hoping your prediction is correct. The longer Mary stays head coach the greater the chance a Sheppard/Fanagan ticket will win the First grade coaching duties.

Flanigan is being held accountable for improvement in the NRL teams defence. Inote that Dean Young also has his name against this job; probably hoping to gain some credid for the improvement.

As time goes on and the Dragons defence becomes up to scratch, Flanagan and Sheppard will be assigned the job of improving the teams attack. After this element of the teams performance is brought up to scratch, there will be no-where for Mary to go except OUT and I'm tipping Dean Young will be there on borrowed time as well.

41yearsaint

Juniors
Our only hope is if Cleary doesn't play.

The Pennies 13+
Cleary anytime scorer.
Multi up fellas, are sure thing.

Disclaimer: I have been known to get it wrong occasionally.

Latest posts