What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are they actually still called Souths-Logan?

kdalymc

Bench
Haven't played a game in Logan in 15 (?) years, have totally removed the blue and gold, was not a merger anyway, but simply a takeover (whatever that means).
Also anyone I know decent from the logan and/or southside comps has gone onto play for an other club than Magpies...

Brutus

Referee
Ken Coles has all the answers.

Btw Souths, what was with the white shorts last week.

White jersey and white shorts looks awful.

Go back to the black shorts please.

expansionist

Juniors
I wonder this myself! Personally I think the logan name adds nothing, and possibly detracts from what 'should' be the strategy of reconnecting with the inner south of brisbane.

FWIW, ive mentioned this - and within Souths itself theres a differing of opinions on this.

One 'senior' souths guy pointed to the number of logan juniors in their first grade squad as though that illustrated a succcesful merger!

I said to him, junior development regions are allocated to you anyway..

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
NORMANBY HOUNDS
Souths Logan Magpies are proud to have as our feeder club the Normanby Hounds, who play in the BRL competition and are the adult club for our junior club Souths Graceville Hounds.

This means that players who are not included in Souths Logan Magpies Intrust Super Cup team each week will play for the Hounds.

OUR JUNIOR CLUBS
Our Development in the Logan corridor is seen as one of the most significant pages in the club’s well-documented history, providing the club with direct exposure to over 500,000 people, while also giving us a junior base of well in excess of 3500 local players.

Many of these young players have emerged from our junior clubs and played for Souths before taking their place in NRL, State of Origin, and International Rugby League teams.

Thier senior and junior catchments cover South of Brisbane and parts of Logan

expansionist

Juniors
Thier senior and junior catchments cover South of Brisbane and parts of Logan
Yep thats right. All the Brisbane based QCup clubs have junior development areas outside of Brisbane.

For mine, that doesnt rationalise having Logan in their name though.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Sure but like all thing Rugba Leg, short term compromise beats out long term vision.

In 2002 the Logan City Scorpians went broke and Souths bought them

Logan_Scorpions.png

2003 Became Souths-Logan.

Souths and Logan Scorpions never merged. The 15 year lease that the Scorpions signed with the Logan City Council in 1988 came to an end, and it essentially bankrupted the club as it was very expensive. The senior club was forced to shut down and the juniors played another season before being wound up. I know this from reading through the archives of the Albert and Logan Times at the State Library. I phoned Souths to ask if they merged, and they said no. Even an official from Souths said in 03 that the teams never merged.

Brutus

Referee
Sure but like all thing Rugba Leg, short term compromise beats out long term vision.

In 2002 the Logan City Scorpians went broke and Souths bought them

Logan_Scorpions.png

2003 Became Souths-Logan.

Bought them with what?

Did big Jim win lotto or something?