What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Games On TV

possm

Coach
Surely the NRL are in a position to ask broadcasters for additional money given the likelyhood of better ratings due to the ban on fans from attending games.

Instead the first actions are to reduce payments to players and clubs.

redv13

Bench
Find it hard to have a sook when players are earning big $$$. Young players and those earning minimum wage is still a lot more than average Joe and his family.

Any player earning over 200K should pull their heads in and realise there a plenty of ordinary people in a world of hurt at the moment with nowhere to turn for help

jeffdragon

Bench
Find it hard to have a sook when players are earning big $$$. Young players and those earning minimum wage is still a lot more than average Joe and his family.

Any player earning over 200K should pull their heads in and realise there a plenty of ordinary people in a world of hurt at the moment with nowhere to turn for help[/QUOTE
BJ Leilua reportedly said he not happy with taking a cut.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Yeah right - I work in the Cruise Line industry and we have all been sent home with no pay - medical stopped plus our shares in the company suspended - from 55 dollars down to 7.70 dollars.

There is no guarantee that anyone of us will get out jobs back and my prediction will be that we will be replaced by cheaper labor.

Poor football players - suck it up - welcome to the real world

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Surely the NRL are in a position to ask broadcasters for additional money given the likelyhood of better ratings due to the ban on fans from attending games.

Go and have a chat to the swarm of journalists cut loose by fox sports news in the last few days and see how much spare cash the broadcasters have at the moment....

Brutalitops

Juniors

The broadcasters have all the power in the relationship right now. Why would they do that?

possm

Coach
Go and have a chat to the swarm of journalists cut loose by fox sports news in the last few days and see how much spare cash the broadcasters have at the moment....
It's simple, ratings go up and advertising sales increase in price.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It's simple, ratings go up and advertising sales increase in price.
Yeah doesn’t quite work like that.. It’s not like a pay per view ad on the Internet.

They’d have advertising booked out in advance, but even that would be at risk with the advertisers looking to save a few $$ in the short term.

So I’d estimate the demand for TV advertising will be going down right now, instead of up.

Yes, smart businesses invest in a downturn to grow for the recovery, but too many people are driven by fear rather than opportunity.

The smart players would be looking to get a cheaper price for their advertising on a sports channel right now.. Which means less revenue..

possm

Coach
Yeah doesn’t quite work like that.. It’s not like a pay per view ad on the Internet.

They’d have advertising booked out in advance, but even that would be at risk with the advertisers looking to save a few $$ in the short term.

So I’d estimate the demand for TV advertising will be going down right now, instead of up.

Yes, smart businesses invest in a downturn to grow for the recovery, but too many people are driven by fear rather than opportunity.

The smart players would be looking to get a cheaper price for their advertising on a sports channel right now.. Which means less revenue..
Cutting advertising fund from a firms budget usually does not save money. The whole idea of paying for advertising is to increase sales and re-enforce brand names hopefull resulting eith increased revenue. The more viewers watching NRL games the greater the reach and the more valuable the advertising space.

I'm sure when I had my business, advertising prices were based on customer reach. On TV and radio, ratings were the measure and on builboards trafic stats and location/position were the influence on price.

It is true that advertising campaigns are usually produced and booked in advance however, most campains are short term and then followed up by another firms campaign. Advertising agencies usually have a list of customers and their campaigns ready to go on a wide range of platforms including TV, radio, print and digital.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Cutting advertising fund from a firms budget usually does not save money. The whole idea of paying for advertising is to increase sales and re-enforce brand names hopefull resulting eith increased revenue. The more viewers watching NRL games the greater the reach and the more valuable the advertising space.

I'm sure when I had my business, advertising prices were based on customer reach. On TV and radio, ratings were the measure and on builboards trafic stats and location/position were the influence on price.

It is true that advertising campaigns are usually produced and booked in advance however, most campains are short term and then followed up by another firms campaign. Advertising agencies usually have a list of customers and their campaigns ready to go on a wide range of platforms including TV, radio, print and digital.
Go re-read my post and come back to me with an informed opinion.

kit66

Bench

That's a good point I didn't think of that. Extraordinary circumstances should warrant some re-negotiation but Fox and Nein are not ones to throw cash about. Fox should be cashed up given they pay bugger all tax.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Not true. If you have a brand new product, sure increasing advertising may make sense. But if you're coca-cola or KFC or any well known company you could cut all advertising for a year and it would hardly make a dent in sales. Schweppes did this many years and the money they saved way exceeded their any drop in sales. Sorbent, Kleenex etc could cut all advertising right now and I guarantee they wouldn't lose one sale. Qantas? No point advertising at the moment. Ditto for many firms.

Sorry Possum, nice thought but TV advertising revenue is going to drop like just about everything else.