What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - In these weird times

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The one thing I’ve done that’s broken self isolation rules was drive over to my friend’s place to collect my cat. I observed social distancing though and got her to put him outside the door in his cage and then go back inside before I put him in the car and took him home. He’s a huge, fat, noisy thing so having him around really makes difference even though he wakes me up at least twice a night without fail!
I actually still haven’t witnessed any of the supermarket panic. It hadn’t started in NZ before I left and I’m insulated from it in isolation. Actually interacting with people in a couple of weeks is going to be weird I’m sure.

8AC90529-128C-4418-B5D2-20A5486A9CFF.jpeg

Meth

Staff member
I went to the supermarket yesterday. A little busier than usual. A couple of things unavailable, but still did a decent, regular shop

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I went to the supermarket yesterday. A little busier than usual. A couple of things unavailable, but still did a decent, regular shop

i hope it stays that way for you. My mums in the eastern Bay of Plenty and things were still normal there when we last spoke. Sounds like some places have caught the panic though. Sydney if f**ked

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Hoping that with the border closed the flights slowed to a trickle NZ will start seeing less new cases as nobody much will be arriving. If there’s no community transmission you may have dodged the bullet due to the government’s quick action there. The cat is already out of the bag across the ditch I think.

Meth

Staff member
i hope it stays that way for you. My mums in the eastern Bay of Plenty and things were still normal there when we last spoke. Sounds like some places have caught the panic though. Sydney if f**ked

supermarkets just released a joint announcement, basically telling people to calm down. They said their supply is robust, but the demand is insane.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I wonder how many of these hoarders are actually reducing their food intake.

Or are they plowing through food at the same or increased intake and then stocking up more.

The mob mentality is nuts.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I wonder how many of these hoarders are actually reducing their food intake.

Or are they plowing through food at the same or increased intake and then stocking up more.

The mob mentality is nuts.

I hope they are. I’m thinking of ways to make all my food supplies stretch as far as they’ll go.the cat is on a diet too, he got fatter while was away

TheDMC

Bench
hah. it's crazy (i.e., cool) to hear what all these forum people do. i'm a prof in IR based in the UK (and actually i do reserach in global health governance, so this is insane times). i'm at masturbating-in-my-own-feces levels of stress. we're still supposed to be delivering courses (now online), but without any training and also facing the generalized stress of a pandemic. Each day everything changes (exams cancelled etc.). And students are hitting us up stressed themselves that they won't get grades, will they get refunded, etc etc. FFFAAAARQQQ in the meantime, getting hounded by media, journals etc for contributions. i'm trying to get my own shit together before i even think about that.

Keep cool bro. Don't over stress...
IR = International Relations?

TheDMC

Bench
Is there a site where all NRL fans can send a thank you out to the Warriors for their sacrifice to keep the game going?

Seriously if fans were allowed these blokes shd be applauded every round they play away from loved ones.

But there must be a site where everyone can express appreciation for their sacrifice now. Let us know.

Chez Cuz...
Nice mate.
What we would most like in terms of appreciation is that some high quality Australian players join our club. Thank you.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I hope they are. I’m thinking of ways to make all my food supplies stretch as far as they’ll go.the cat is on a diet too, he got fatter while was away

Sadly I think a lot of the hoarders are doing so to maintain their lifestyle for "x amount of time" rather than trying to stretch it out.

I've been freezing bread or just reheating it after an extra day to make it last a little longer rather than waste it. No mold = not too old. Yew!

spear tackle

Juniors
Did mine online on Tuesday as I always do wont be seeing it tonight until after 6pm which was the earliest spare time slot which is worse than the busiest Christmas I've ever encountered

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Sadly I think a lot of the hoarders are doing so to maintain their lifestyle for "x amount of time" rather than trying to stretch it out.

I've been freezing bread or just reheating it after an extra day to make it last a little longer rather than waste it. No mold = not too old. Yew!

I keep my bread in the fridge normally as it goes off so quickly in summer here. Got back and realised I’d left 2/3 of a load pr in the fridge, and it’s surprisingly still fine for toast. I’m freezing it and will get a few days supply out of that, might make some meatballs too.

Rich102

Staff member
I suggested to my wife that she might like to try the "click and collect' at Pack 'n Save in town. She went online and the first available timeslot is sometime in May.

Matua

Bench
I work in higher ed in Oz, my work is pretty safe. We've closed all campuses for the next two weeks (to students, staff can still go in) and then we're moving to online teaching.

So far I've had to cancel two trips (one to NZ, one to Malaysia), Bluesfest and a couple of concerts in Sydney (Pixies) and have a trip planned to NZ in July that I'm unsure I can make.

I have had the flu so have been self isolated but working from home - felt 100% the last couple of days and really wanted to go into the office for some company but they weren't going to let me in. :D

I'm in the concerned for society but not for myself, my job is pretty safe (fees are paid or from govt funding, we can teach online etc), but I want places to still be open to spend money in.

Also, I'll be watching way more NRL this year. Usually I watch the Super Rugby (all NZ teams bar the Crusaders) and the Warriors every weekend. Now I'll have to make it up with other teams as well.

Matua

Bench
Just on the Warriors.
I felt this year was going to be a disaster but would force the club to make changes.
Now I feel nothing may be done and it will just be a totally wasted year.

I'm a bit worried they'll develop a siege mentality and actually have a good year and then next year things will just return to tutae again but no changes would have been made.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Whats the general mood on the political handling of the crisis in NZ? From what I can see Labour seems to be doing pretty much everything right so far, they've been ahead of Aus on most control measures as well as with their financial relief package.
On this side of the ditch there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of initiative and direction, Scomo seems to be copying what other leaders do and we passed 700 cases today.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Between the bushfires and this, ScoMo has to be the most inept leader I've lived in a country under and Australia has had some shockers in recent years.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Between the bushfires and this, ScoMo has to be the most inept leader I've lived in a country under and Australia has had some shockers in recent years.

yep. It’s actually staggering how they seem to outdo each other with their ineptitude here. And then get relelected.