What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
New social distancing requirement 4m2 per person. That will hurt cafes etc. is it a requirement or a recommendation? it’s always hard to know with Scomos speeches. Presumably you aren’t going to be able to sit at a table with someone?

moffla

Bench
New social distancing requirement 4m2 per person. That will hurt cafes etc. is it a requirement or a recommendation? it’s always hard to know with Scomos speeches. Presumably you aren’t going to be able to sit at a table with someone?
Recommendation you'd think. I took it as - In a room that is 100m2, you should avoid having more that 25 people.

Granted, I only overheard what he said

Springs09

Juniors

It's a requirement. AHA sent an email to pubs saying non-compliance will result in penalties. Our pub has moved tables and seating outside, we can only fit 50 people indoors according to the regulations.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I saw an amusing suggestion that the NRL should allow a small handful of fans from each side in (say 5-10), sit them in separate bays and give them all megaphones. They can yell stuff like "get em onside!" and "He's been doing it all day ref!" all game long.

wibble

Bench
Sorry wibble but in the class room they can control the distance they can also follow a chain of infection if it exists.

My immediate family has 2 teachers (wife and one son) and thats just our opinion, right or wrong. But I am happy with the notion that the decisions are being based on those of a medical expert in the appropriate field, not me, not the media and especially not internet experts

How can the distance be controlled in a class room? I'm waiting for anyone to give out some practical advice on that matter, from the PM, Premiers, AHPPC, medical experts, or any state department of health or of education, or even media or internet experts. I've asked on this forum as people tell me to calm down on the issue, and yet none tell me how it is possible.

You can't get close to the 1.5 m separation distance. Even the more generous 4 metres squared (generous as in, lower area and less social distancing but more risk) is impossible.

30 kids and a teacher into a 6 x 6 m room. Draw me a diagram of how social distancing works there.

I know this sounds aggro to some here who have delighted in sniping at me, but I'm genuinely interested in how such social distancing can work, since people tell me either that it can, but don't tell me how, or that they don't know how either but to chill out about it, even though it is what we are being asked to do for our own safety and for the safety of the community.

I agree that they could follow a chain of infection, like they do in Singapore, the oft quoted other hold out on closing schools, but they're not. Not like Singapore are. But does that mean you are saying we should cram kids together to help spread infection then we can follow the chains?

Although in Singapore they are social distancing in the class room. They are halving class sizes (I don't know to what size, or the size of their classrooms). I have no idea how they're doing that, but again, if you can think of a way to halve class sizes here, let me know (seems to me you'd need about twice as many class rooms and teachers if you halved class sizes. Maybe we can put hotels and airline workers to use....).

Which medical experts are you happy with? The ones who decide we need to social distance 1.5 m, or the ones who say we can do that in school? Because if they're the same ones, they also haven't shared their wisdom with us internet experts on how it can be done.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
NRL getting some negative headlines again - now with backlash over team having access to Testing Kits despite not meeting the criteria that the general population has to meet.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...e/news-story/53e16eb5221bd2d5af0b48886935a2c7

Convenient that all of the complaints are from other sports....

I wnder if the VFL follower Hinds will make the same complaint when VFL start doing the same stuff.

Shit like this is why im glad NRL Digital is getting into reporting. While NewsLtd stirs their "Code in Crisis" shit, I can actually get decent reporting over on NRL.com.

unforgiven

Bench
How can the distance be controlled in a class room? I'm waiting for anyone to give out some practical advice on that matter, from the PM, Premiers, AHPPC, medical experts, or any state department of health or of education, or even media or internet experts. I've asked on this forum as people tell me to calm down on the issue, and yet none tell me how it is possible.

You can't get close to the 1.5 m separation distance. Even the more generous 4 metres squared (generous as in, lower area and less social distancing but more risk) is impossible.

30 kids and a teacher into a 6 x 6 m room. Draw me a diagram of how social distancing works there.

I know this sounds aggro to some here who have delighted in sniping at me, but I'm genuinely interested in how such social distancing can work, since people tell me either that it can, but don't tell me how, or that they don't know how either but to chill out about it, even though it is what we are being asked to do for our own safety and for the safety of the community.

I agree that they could follow a chain of infection, like they do in Singapore, the oft quoted other hold out on closing schools, but they're not. Not like Singapore are. But does that mean you are saying we should cram kids together to help spread infection then we can follow the chains?

Although in Singapore they are social distancing in the class room. They are halving class sizes (I don't know to what size, or the size of their classrooms). I have no idea how they're doing that, but again, if you can think of a way to halve class sizes here, let me know (seems to me you'd need about twice as many class rooms and teachers if you halved class sizes. Maybe we can put hotels and airline workers to use....).

Which medical experts are you happy with? The ones who decide we need to social distance 1.5 m, or the ones who say we can do that in school? Because if they're the same ones, they also haven't shared their wisdom with us internet experts on how it can be done.

As I've said to you many times you are focussing on one aspect of social distancing to the determent of your argument. You are picking up a fluffed comment from Morrison in a 30 min plus press conference. If you watched the following press conference the Chief Medical Officer was present and actually stated that although the 1.5 metre distancing was not feasible in classrooms that schools were implementing other practices to negate this. Which is what you have been told many times in this thread!

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench

https://education.nsw.gov.au/news/latest-news/a-frontline-look-at-social-distancing-in-schools

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/diseases/Pages/covid-19-schools.aspx

https://education.nsw.gov.au/public-schools/school-safety/novel-coronavirus

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/social-distancing.aspx

Actions for an organisation, workplace or employer
Organisations and employers who are responsible for a workplace or venue should start to take actions now to reduce the risk of transmission of coronavirus. This includes any venue, such as a school, university, office building or any workplace. These actions should include:

• Consider whether activities/events can be postponed, reduced in size/frequency or cancelled.
  • Cancel non-essential activities such as business travel, study visits, extra-curricular activities and sporting events.
  • Encourage flexible working arrangements including working from home and off-peak travel, and consider whether staff work stations can be more widely spaced.
  • Purchase COVID-19 prevention supplies, for example alcohol hand sanitisers.
  • Provide and promote hand sanitisers at building entrances.
  • Ensure high standards of routine environmental cleaning. Standard cleaning products are fine.
  • Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces regularly, including desks and keyboards.
  • Open windows, enhance airflow, adjust air conditioning.
  • Promote preventive actions amongst your staff

- lead by example.
  • Encourage personal hygiene, such as use of hand sanitiser or handwashing with soap by all staff .
  • Avoid large indoor meetings and lunchrooms and use outdoor venues if possible.
  • Plan for increased levels of staff absences.
  • Plan for what to do if staff arrive sick at work.
  • Employers should refer to SafeWork NSW’s COVID-19: Advice and guidance for NSW workplaces.
Actions for childcare centres, kindergartens, schools
There is no current recommendation for childcare centres, kindergartens or schools to close and it’s important to try keeping things as normal as possible. However, educational settings, including boarding schools, could be places where there is a higher risk of transmission of COVID-19. These settings should now:

• Take all the actions listed above under Actions for an organisation, workplace or venue.
  • Consider whether any activities can be postponed, reduced in size/frequency or replaced.
  • Actively encourage sick children/students and staff to stay at home.
  • Direct and supervise preventive actions such as good hand washing before and after eating food, either through washing hands with soap and water, or use of hand sanitiser by students according to need.
  • Prepare for senior students and staff to study/ work from home if required.
  • Plan ways to reduce in-person contact for students and staff.
  • Enable separation of students and avoid queuing, as much as possible.
  • Cancel assemblies and consider staggering student breaks to limit movements and contacts between student/class groups.
  • Ensure the highest hygiene practices among food handlers.
  • Identify a space that can be used to isolate students and staff who become sick.
  • Alert your agency or department about large increases in student and staff absenteeism due to flu-like illnesses.
  • Keep students, parents and staff informed of the actions you are taking
  • The Department of Education and Catholic Schools NSW have information on COVID-19 for schools and parents.
Actions for TAFE, colleges and universities
There is no current recommendation for these settings to close. However, educational settings such as universities could be places where there is a higher risk of transmission of COVID-19. These settings should now:

• Take all the actions listed above under Actions for an organisation, workplace or venue.
  • Consider whether any activities can be postponed, reduced in size/frequency or replaced with online learning.
  • Actively encourage sick students and staff to stay at home.
  • Encourage personal hygiene, such as use of hand sanitiser or handwashing with soap by all staff and students.
  • Prepare for students and staff to study/work from home if required, including online learning.
  • Where programs require face to face interaction or physical environments such as laboratories, reduce the size of the classes, encourage regular hand hygiene of participants (hand sanitisers at entry points) and ensure cleaning addresses areas of high touch points for students and staff.
  • Plan ways to reduce in-person contact for students and staff.
  • Limit movements and contacts between student/class groups.
  • Enable separation of students and avoid queuing.
  • Identify a space that can be used to isolate students and staff who become sick.
  • Keep students and staff informed of the actions you are taking.

Cactus

Juniors
I'm genuinely interested in how such social distancing can work

Take one crisis.......mix a response with some common sense..... add some general know how, and then add some grown up control, and then grow a set and a spine aswell and do what is necessary without the need to resort to panicky alarm.

And in particular DO NOT take, as absolute, a nomination of square meterage as some benchmark for you to question the world order with.

You and the kids will do fine and hopefully everyone will be completely unaffected.

That is of course if you really are a teacher.

unforgiven

Bench
A couple of interesting graphs!
upload_2020-3-20_22-39-45.png
zpMYyYC1I9MIpyZyfCKQmvQM7pPGBIci4pAVkOtGl0A.jpg

wibble

Bench
As I've said to you many times you are focussing on one aspect of social distancing to the determent of your argument. You are picking up a fluffed comment from Morrison in a 30 min plus press conference. If you watched the following press conference the Chief Medical Officer was present and actually stated that although the 1.5 metre distancing was not feasible in classrooms that schools were implementing other practices to negate this. Which is what you have been told many times in this thread!

And you keep ignoring the point.

I was specifically answering the statement "in the class room they can control the distance".

Which of your list of items addresses this?

The entire purpose of your list of social distancing items is to keep people apart, to stop the transfer of disease from one person to another (the other items are isolation and personal hygiene items, which are also tricky in a school (tricky with children in general), but not impossible). You could vacuum seal kids for the 60 minutes or so each day they are at school but not in class, it wouldn't matter. If they then get squashed together for 5 hours, it defeats the point of trying so hard to keep them apart for 60 minutes.

It's like not banning crowds of 1000 or 2000 at a footy match, but saying it is OK because you've got rules in place for how they enter the stadium, line up for food, or go to the toilet.

I have explained how 1 person with an infection could easily spread it to 1000 others in a school setting, and neither your suggestions nor any of the items on that list make that an unlikely scenario.

The best case that schools don't create some super spreaders, who would be terrible for the community, is either that children can't transmit the disease (which the departments of health and education have said is a justification for keeping schools open despite no one actually knowing how true this might be), or that schools are closed (which is why they will be in a week or so regardless of the number of pointless lunchtime and excursion practises we adopt).

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Ill chuck my 2 cents in with the school and social distancing argument. Yea in theory it is possible and can function ok but there is a point getting glossed over. Had anyone actually told a small child (so focusing first graders here) to do the simplest and most basic of tasks? (such as stay in this area and dont go near that person).

I have told my very much younger cousins at that age to not stick their hand in a campfire and they still tried it. The health bored are relying on the only human creatures that are the only thing more derptarded than asian tourists

unforgiven

Bench
And you keep ignoring the point.

I was specifically answering the statement "in the class room they can control the distance".

Which of your list of items addresses this?

The entire purpose of your list of social distancing items is to keep people apart, to stop the transfer of disease from one person to another (the other items are isolation and personal hygiene items, which are also tricky in a school (tricky with children in general), but not impossible). You could vacuum seal kids for the 60 minutes or so each day they are at school but not in class, it wouldn't matter. If they then get squashed together for 5 hours, it defeats the point of trying so hard to keep them apart for 60 minutes.

It's like not banning crowds of 1000 or 2000 at a footy match, but saying it is OK because you've got rules in place for how they enter the stadium, line up for food, or go to the toilet.

I have explained how 1 person with an infection could easily spread it to 1000 others in a school setting, and neither your suggestions nor any of the items on that list make that an unlikely scenario.

The best case that schools don't create some super spreaders, who would be terrible for the community, is either that children can't transmit the disease (which the departments of health and education have said is a justification for keeping schools open despite no one actually knowing how true this might be), or that schools are closed (which is why they will be in a week or so regardless of the number of pointless lunchtime and excursion practises we adopt).

The clarification from the Chief Medical Officer that 1.5 mtrs in the classroom was not feasible but other strategies were being implemented to counter that. You are banging on about a fluffed line from Morrison that has since been clarified!

unforgiven

Bench
Ill chuck my 2 cents in with the school and social distancing argument. Yea in theory it is possible and can function ok but there is a point getting glossed over. Had anyone actually told a small child (so focusing first graders here) to do the simplest and most basic of tasks? (such as stay in this area and dont go near that person).

I have told my very much younger cousins at that age to not stick their hand in a campfire and they still tried it. The health bored are relying on the only human creatures that are the only thing more derptarded than asian tourists

Yes I have, everyday for 20 years. The process in a lot of schools is about limiting the number of people each student come into contact with and really ramping up the hygiene and cleaning practices!

jim_57

Staff member
Regarding the schools is there any plan going behind the scene to move lessons online to keep the system going as best as possible if/when closures come? I feel like need to embrace the time we live in and the technology available by diverting whatever we can online to keep things running, this includes education and work wherever possible.

Shutting everything down full stop is not the answer for any more than a short period of time. Even as we speak I'd hope resources are being redirected to create jobs in areas that suddenly have a lot more demand to somewhat offset the industries that cannot operate as normal and the job losses that will cause.

Latest posts