What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Signs

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2020: Fuimaono looking to reboot
Dragons Den
r0_10_4496_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STARTING AFRESH: Dragons signing Tyrell Fuimaono is looking to breathe new life into a career stalled by injury. Picture: Dragons Media

WHO knew a toe injury could be so disruptive? It's a question Dragons recruit Tyrell Fuimaono has asked himself over the past couple of seasons.

It has been a couple since he burst onto the scene with the Rabbitohs in 2017 - playing 15 games as a centre-back-rower under Michael Maguire.

He came into 2018 looking to build on his debut campaign but dislocated his toe - remarkably playing on - in round two, ruling him out for the bulk of the season.

He returned to the family home when he signed with Penrith for the 2019 season but made just seven top-grade appearances and was part of a mass exodus from the club at season's end.

It's seen him link with the Dragons on a two-year deal and with a point to prove.

"I've had a lot of injuries and a lot of speed humps in my career," he said.

"It was frustrating, I'd get over one [injury] and then another incident would happen. It was really tough and challenging mentally but I'm really happy I've got the opportunity to come down here and play footy.

"I thought the two years [contract] would bring a bit of stability and a give me a good opportunity to find my feet again.

"Hopefully the worst is over now and I can put a big preseason in and hopefully play a consistent season."

It comes after what he admits was a somewhat reluctant departure from the Panthers.

"I would've liked to stay but things just didn't work out," he said.

"I'm a Penrith junior, my whole family lives in Western Sydney, I grew up there so it would've been nice [to stay] but unfortunately it wan't the case.

"I have to seize my opportunities where they come and now I'm down here and I'm going to make the most of it."

Adept in multiple positions, the 23-year-old has spent the bulk of his training time in the back row.

"So far I've mostly been in the back but I'm never going to turn down the chance to play no matter what position it is," he said.

"At the moment I'm mostly playing in the back row, learning as much as I can from Tariq [Sims] and Tys [Frizell] and taking it all on board.

"A lot of people might have seen coming here as a negative but I see it as a positive to have two older more experienced guys to learn from."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6593544/fuimaono-looking-to-reboot/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Dragons 2020: Fuimaono looking to reboot
Dragons Den
r0_10_4496_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STARTING AFRESH: Dragons signing Tyrell Fuimaono is looking to breathe new life into a career stalled by injury. Picture: Dragons Media

WHO knew a toe injury could be so disruptive? It's a question Dragons recruit Tyrell Fuimaono has asked himself over the past couple of seasons.

It has been a couple since he burst onto the scene with the Rabbitohs in 2017 - playing 15 games as a centre-back-rower under Michael Maguire.

He came into 2018 looking to build on his debut campaign but dislocated his toe - remarkably playing on - in round two, ruling him out for the bulk of the season.

He returned to the family home when he signed with Penrith for the 2019 season but made just seven top-grade appearances and was part of a mass exodus from the club at season's end.

It's seen him link with the Dragons on a two-year deal and with a point to prove.

"I've had a lot of injuries and a lot of speed humps in my career," he said.

"It was frustrating, I'd get over one [injury] and then another incident would happen. It was really tough and challenging mentally but I'm really happy I've got the opportunity to come down here and play footy.

"I thought the two years [contract] would bring a bit of stability and a give me a good opportunity to find my feet again.

"Hopefully the worst is over now and I can put a big preseason in and hopefully play a consistent season."

It comes after what he admits was a somewhat reluctant departure from the Panthers.

"I would've liked to stay but things just didn't work out," he said.

"I'm a Penrith junior, my whole family lives in Western Sydney, I grew up there so it would've been nice [to stay] but unfortunately it wan't the case.

"I have to seize my opportunities where they come and now I'm down here and I'm going to make the most of it."

Adept in multiple positions, the 23-year-old has spent the bulk of his training time in the back row.

"So far I've mostly been in the back but I'm never going to turn down the chance to play no matter what position it is," he said.

"At the moment I'm mostly playing in the back row, learning as much as I can from Tariq [Sims] and Tys [Frizell] and taking it all on board.

"A lot of people might have seen coming here as a negative but I see it as a positive to have two older more experienced guys to learn from."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6593544/fuimaono-looking-to-reboot/?cs=3713
Our biggest problem is our centre pairing and the least of our worries is the quality of our second rowers. I'd like to see him trial in the centres and if needed also be available to play in the second row if required.

I'd say general fitness and defensive skills are his main problems and so, I hope more attention is given to addressing these two problems in the off-season.

getsmarty

Immortal
Our biggest problem is our centre pairing and the least of our worries is the quality of our second rowers. I'd like to see him trial in the centres and if needed also be available to play in the second row if required.

I'd say general fitness and defensive skills are his main problems and so, I hope more attention is given to addressing these two problems in the off-season.

We can all see it....will change when the roadblock is removed.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL pre-season: The player Smith misses most, Warriors’ No.6 race heats up

DRAGONS

Ben Hunt has described defending against new recruit Tyrell Fuimaono like “tackling a brick”.

“He rips in, Tyrell,” Hunt told foxsports.com.au.

“He’s been in the back row against me since he arrived.

“It’s like trying to tackle a brick. Everything’s just really hard on him.

“He’s going really well and if he gets his shot he’ll prove he’s up to it.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/6d88f8037fc03d0220efd79cd4cefa41

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

I’d argue that the absence of first grade standard wingers is a bigger weakness than Aitken/Lafai.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I’d argue that the absence of first grade standard wingers is a bigger weakness than Aitken/Lafai.

I see what you mean.

We really do need tall, fast, consistent and athletic wingers with the full skill set for the modern game.

And to be consistently good, you have to trust the processes and players around you - as form relies on confidence & success relies on consistency no doubt

Re the centres -
You could also argue the reverse of your point - in that the problem could be seen to originate in our failure to develop/recruit decent depth in our centre combinations - after obvious longterm and well documented failures there -
in attack & defence.

I agree absolutely about wing quality.

But McGoner has treated wing & a backline bench spot as a bit of a rotational dumping ground for players who should have been given a shot in the centres & elsewhere - to improve attack variation and defensive structures.

The Waterboy just will not move or drop Aitken come what may, despite his very limited skill set for a modern centre.

A short stint on the bench maybe - or the wing dumping ground for 5 mins - but never, ever CC ‘cause he’s his immovable mate.

No 3 has essentially been a recruitment & junior development no-go zone (token & unthreatening - to Aitken - gestures like Maranta aside)

He would sacrifice the team & his career imo for Turnstile.

It’s a Park Footy loyalty hangover thingo.

All the chess pieces move - except 3.

We’ve all observed this teamsheet truism for 4 or so years - ad f**kin nauseum -

And you can bet your bottom dollar that the Laitkens will trot out together - predictably & inevitably - for Rd1 2020

Again this process of doggedly sticking to his 3&4 has meant no decent centre recruitment or development has taken place.

Decent centres make decent wingers? Poor centres ....

I would think very few of Nightingale & Co’s tries emanated from Aitken - and their low confidence in his defensive failings (our leaking right side is a media cliche) no doubt severely impaired their defence & attack stats as well

So again, perhaps quality wingers just don’t want to play outside Aitken & Lafai - who remain the worst recognised centre pairing (with the worst stats - especially try assists long term in Aitken’s case) in the NRL?

It’s like the whole NRL watches & waits .... for the changes to lance the festering boil ...

Last edited:

boardlumps62

Juniors
It's a juggling act wingers are paramount like centres and halves. All revolving on forwards to give us the spring board.
Don't ever forget the referee controls and win games.

BBTB

Juniors
Graham, not worthy of
a spot in our forward pack. Taking a up space... Washed up.
Has to go.. To old.
Can't bust a grape.
And definitely can't even dent the defensive line. Falls of tackles.....
He's washed up..
Get rid of him Mary,
Or do we put up with another Latimore.. Again this year...

redv13

Bench
Graham, not worthy of
a spot in our forward pack. Taking a up space... Washed up.
Has to go.. To old.
Can't bust a grape.
And definitely can't even dent the defensive line. Falls of tackles.....
He's washed up..
Get rid of him Mary,
Or do we put up with another Latimore.. Again this year...
It kills me cause everything you say is spot on and after 400 plus games deserves some respect. Very tough situation this one but maybe Mcflop should start him from the bench and probably ease him into the game at the 25-30 min mark??

BBTB

Juniors
It kills me cause everything you say is spot on and after 400 plus games deserves some respect. Very tough situation this one but maybe Mcflop should start him from the bench and probably ease him into the game at the 25-30 min mark??
Not our problem...
He's so Bulldog, remember.

Latest posts