What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Vs The Roosters

Exsilium

First Grade
I noticed that in one of the trial games. It would seem that the powers that be must have noticed the lack of passing last year too. If he keeps passing at appropriate times, he will be a much better player for it. Now, about the defence...

Confidence can do wonders for a player.

betcats

Referee
It wasnt a great pass either, Sauce did pretty well to gather it in. Still, credit where its due, he made the right play.

Yeah it was behind Josh no doubt but Naden held it up perfectly and fully committed the defender before putting Josh away. For a long time the only centre we’ve had that knew how to catch, draw and pass to put his winger away was Whare. It’s sounds basic and it’s just a small thing but it’s the difference between a half break and a real line break when you create a one man overlap, especially with a slow winger like Sauce. If he passes to early the winger pushes out and gets Sauce in cover without much difficulty. Draw and pass and the quick catch and pass, these abilities should be pre-requisites for centres and non negotiable, it’s shocking how often players stuff an overlap. Also re the pass going behind, Sauce was often to flat last season, he pushes up to quickly when he sees a break unfolding.

betcats

Referee
Also with a unit like Kikau on the left edge there should be plenty of chances for Nado to show us that draw and pass. If you run that same play the defence is going to collapse on the big fella to cover him most of the time, if they happen to hold their shape you got
short and dare someone to stop Kiks one on one.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Yeah it was behind Josh no doubt but Naden held it up perfectly and fully committed the defender before putting Josh away. For a long time the only centre we’ve had that knew how to catch, draw and pass to put his winger away was Whare. It’s sounds basic and it’s just a small thing but it’s the difference between a half break and a real line break when you create a one man overlap, especially with a slow winger like Sauce. If he passes to early the winger pushes out and gets Sauce in cover without much difficulty. Draw and pass and the quick catch and pass, these abilities should be pre-requisites for centres and non negotiable, it’s shocking how often players stuff an overlap. Also re the pass going behind, Sauce was often to flat last season, he pushes up to quickly when he sees a break unfolding.
All fair points. I think they will get better at it.

betcats

Referee
I know it’s been said a few times already but the timing of the pass from Cleary to create the overlap was top notch. Holding it back that fraction of a second when he was already in the process of passing made all the difference.

Similar to the last try, goes to the line and picks out the right pass, two good examples of him not being robotic.

Even in that first twenty minutes when we conceded twice Nath did his job very well, controlled and direct the forwards and kicked very well. He kept us in semi decent field position instead of completely camped on our line which probably saves us 6 points.

Also someone said Leota had a shocker which is semi true, he had two shocking errors but beside that he was strong his first stint in particular he really had some strong momentum building runs.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Seriously if you were one those who went of half cocked give yourself an upper cut.

I was at the game. I don’t post when I am at the game. While the Roosters started strong due to our own errors I never got the feeling we were done even at 12-0 although you and others obviously did.

Please don’t make excuses for a ‘depleted’ Roosters side, gimme a break. They are the premiers.

We got the job done, came back front 12-0 down and personally I loved every minute after the time we wen’t behind.

Well said. Some can't wait till the game is actually over to stick the boot in.

I know you all well. The ones with egg sticking to nose and eyebrows.

Latest posts