What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Panthers

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
There is a big difference between good and great. Tyson is good but not great and can be a little overrated at times. As fans of the Dragons we look at Tyson to do something that would excite us. I've mainly seen him do the charge and nothing much else. He tends to take a lot of tackles and hardly breaks the line and there is no offload. His defence can also be lacking.

Last year and again this year, we needed and need JDB. With his defence, we most probably would have won several more games last year and both of the games played so far this year. That is what is terribly laking with our defence - we just do not have an enforcer. Not only that, he could break the line in attack and offload. This is the biggest cause to our poor defence now in my opinion.

I, for the life of me just do not get why in attack the guys are not trying to offload to players such as Dufty and Williame? Surely offloads are part of their training skills? I know that it is difficult when you have tacklers holding your arms and body to wrap the ball up to make it difficult to offload, but surely there are many times that they would have practised this in training, surely??

Ever notice Frizzel growing an extra leg in SOO? His club performances are a mere shadow.

Correct observation re: JDB. The amount of times Saints cannot prevent off-loads is frightening.

redv13

Bench
Ever notice Frizzel growing an extra leg in SOO? His club performances are a mere shadow.

Correct observation re: JDB. The amount of times Saints cannot prevent off-loads is frightening.
Kikau should not have scored, 3 players on Mansour and still he fights his way through with an arsey offload and perfect bounce for the Pennies. Plus it doesn’t help when each set of six goes 50-60 meters easily

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The fool will be under immense pressure in a fortnight after heavy losses to both Canberra and Parra, both away and with a terrible history against both teams. 0-4 will be the only way this fool is flicked. As tough as it is we just need to ride this out for a few more weeks

If it were only that simple.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Do people actually think Dufty had a good game? 2 tries (1 extremely lucky and 1 anyone could of scored) does jot make up for the dropped balls, poor positional play, poor defence, poor kick returns etc he was also at fault for at least 2 or 3 of the panthers tries!
Yeah you are right. Lomax had a better game last week. They both made the same amount of mistakes but Lomax played in the rain. Lomax nearly setup a try off a nice grubber and setup several against Newy in the trials. He has good vision, good defence and good positional play. If he works on his kicking finesse and ball catching he will be very solid. The difference between the Dragons and the Tigers/Panthers was Benji/Cleary. We don’t have a half that can close out a game.

Spazer

Juniors
Do people actually think Dufty had a good game? 2 tries (1 extremely lucky and 1 anyone could of scored) does jot make up for the dropped balls, poor positional play, poor defence, poor kick returns etc he was also at fault for at least 2 or 3 of the panthers tries!
He was okay, positional play was poor but he was good under the highball and made a good read on that intercept try.

I can't understand why he doesn't use his speed on kick returns though, he literally jogs and then shuffles and falls to the ground/gets rag dolled every time.

We don't have any good fullbacks at the moment.I would love to have Stephen Crichton for a season, he looks good.

hermidale1

Juniors
He was good at times but he missed an important tackle and made a poor goal line read early on in defence, which led to a try. Still I like him.
This is exactly right. There was another try where he was lazy with his read in the second half.
He was put in against his old junior club and knew a lot of the boys he played against, so he was always going to play well. I think everyone needs to take a breathe and wait for consistency. Jumping up and saying he should be the starting edge is still a little premature. Yes he is good. I’ve watched him for a long time. He’s been at Parramatta, Penrith, Souths and now the Dragons. He’s a very good player, but consistency is needed.

jeffdragon

Bench
This is exactly right. There was another try where he was lazy with his read in the second half.
He was put in against his old junior club and knew a lot of the boys he played against, so he was always going to play well. I think everyone needs to take a breathe and wait for consistency. Jumping up and saying he should be the starting edge is still a little premature. Yes he is good. I’ve watched him for a long time. He’s been at Parramatta, Penrith, Souths and now the Dragons. He’s a very good player, but consistency is needed.

He ran a hell of a lot harder than other forwards and they struggled to contain him.
Last week he set up Sims who dropped the ball for a certain try, only saints could bomb.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Couldn’t agree more with every point you make!
There is a big difference between good and great. Tyson is good but not great and can be a little overrated at times. As fans of the Dragons we look at Tyson to do something that would excite us. I've mainly seen him do the charge and nothing much else. He tends to take a lot of tackles and hardly breaks the line and there is no offload. His defence can also be lacking.

Last year and again this year, we needed and need JDB. With his defence, we most probably would have won several more games last year and both of the games played so far this year. That is what is terribly laking with our defence - we just do not have an enforcer. Not only that, he could break the line in attack and offload. This is the biggest cause to our poor defence now in my opinion.

I, for the life of me just do not get why in attack the guys are not trying to offload to players such as Dufty and Williame? Surely offloads are part of their training skills? I know that it is difficult when you have tacklers holding your arms and body to wrap the ball up to make it difficult to offload, but surely there are many times that they would have practised this in training, surely??

BLM01

First Grade
4 wins from our last 20 games.

2 of those against the Titans.

And there you have it folks our DNA right there shown for all to see in the press conference
Mc85 or Mc9 and more recently 4/20 on his resume..in 6 weeks likely to be 4/26 or 5/26 between 15% - 20% win ratio in over a season.

A Coach that wont shoulder the blame. Players look lost and despondent more than keen to amend. We dont practice the basic points of the game.
Now he states players not having the will to win after Round 2. Most good coaches blame the early season blues and cohesion....Not front foot McDeflect
I'd say its becuase they lost confidence and the ability on how to win thanks to your learned ways
Cant and wont face up to and see the negatives through clinging to your own thought up positives.

And did i mention club mediocrity. Well we all knew that one 6 years ago when they appointed him to take over Price and other football club outside staffing appointments that come and go like an airport departure lounge
Also extending Mary not once but twice after supposedly world wide searches.

Where to from here?...Journos need to keep pushing Mary's most recent success rate

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
I can’t see how we keep both Canberra and Parramatta from scoring less than 40 points each. Both the Tigers and Panthers rumbled up the middle with ease all game and Canberra and Parra will destroy us out wide if they are switched on

Crush

Coach
Yeah you are right. Lomax had a better game last week. They both made the same amount of mistakes but Lomax played in the rain. Lomax nearly setup a try off a nice grubber and setup several against Newy in the trials. He has good vision, good defence and good positional play. If he works on his kicking finesse and ball catching he will be very solid. The difference between the Dragons and the Tigers/Panthers was Benji/Cleary. We don’t have a half that can close out a game.
I can't work out of this is sarcasm or not.

Crush

Coach
Lol
Lomax doesn't score either of those tries.
And its not like Lomax is a rock in defense. He has hands are terrible. Again last night he had an air swing when jumping for a bomb.
Get over it, Dufty offers something Lomax doesn't possess. He backs himself and finds the tryline.
Play Lomax in the centres where he belongs.

Old Timer

Coach
The terrible reality for us is that the Panther's aren't that good a side.
Yes they have a few good players capable of turning and winning a game against sides like us but they also have some very ordinary and mistake riddled players as well.
I don't see them as anything other than a 7-10 finishing side at best.
Some will be saying that we competed against a team that beat last years premiers but that is just a false positive as the Roosters will be a very different side this year to last and may take some time to hit their straps with a new halves combo.

redv13

Bench
I disagree OT in regards to Penrith. Their forwards are big and mobile, backs are big and fast, Cleary reads the game very well and is switched on and only 22. They are 100 % a top 8 side if they can stay switched on for 80 mins maybe a top 4/5 side.

Old Timer

Coach
Lol
Lomax doesn't score either of those tries.
And its not like Lomax is a rock in defense. He has hands are terrible. Again last night he had an air swing when jumping for a bomb.
Get over it, Dufty offers something Lomax doesn't possess. He backs himself and finds the tryline.
Play Lomax in the centres where he belongs.
Come on Crush watch the replay and have a good look at the areas where Dufty and Lomax are involved.
Panthers worked out and very quickly employed a kicking game that brings Dufty 20 meters forward and he let some bombs bounce and failed to contest others rather allowing / forcing his team mates to run backwards trying to take bombs over their shoulders. Far easier for the man coming forward but Dufty refuses to do that on many occasions.
The intercept try just showed how he failed to line up on the player that was to receive the inside pass. In fact I would have been happier to see the Penrith pass stick and Dufty make the critical tackle rather than him get the 1:100 intercept and score. Yes only he could have scored it but it was the wrong play under the circumstances.
The second try I firmly believe just about anybody could have scored and Lomax has superior body strength and could have twisted in the tackle just as easily.
The 1st Penrith try was just shit house defence by Dufty and Graham (swallowing a dummy that close to your line is just crap) and if it was Lomax there IMO it would have been defended.
So have a look at the replay and go to slow motion on some of the plays and you will quickly see how many mistakes Dufty made and how many mistakes he created for his fellow players by his bad positioning, lack of competing, inability to read the flow of the game.