What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The road ahead - Great expectations

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
So for me we need to provide ourselves with the greatest probability of getting back in the top4 in 2021
That means a big turnover of players and head coach

We have added some very good low cost value players for 2020/21 and some seriously exciting juniors for 2/3/4 year contracts but we need more quality ASAP

Value players:
Brittain - very good depth player who looks comfortable in FG
Luke - smart for this season while McInnes injured
Tyrell - great impact player and appeared solid in rd2 for a lengthy game and started
Williame - very exciting player for us at left centre
Clune arguably appears to be in the mix also
Ford - I think will still be important as he is emerging and a lighter faster built backrower
Host - Im liking what i see in his development after injuries and for me is on a Matt Prior type trajectory
Kerr - might demand a little more come next contract and hope we keep him

Exciting emerging players that could be part of our top 20 or so players in 2021:
Feagai 1
Feagai 2
Saab
Ramsey
Sullivan

Move on players: guess at current contract value that is ready to use $3.7mill
Aitken $300k pa?
JDB $550k pa?
Graham $400k pa?
Friz $550k pa?
Lafai $350k pa?
Dufty $350k pa?
Hunt $900k pa (we may get $600k plus if he moves OS ie we may have to continue with $300k pa?)
Norman $800k pa we may get $600k plus also if he moves OS (his $900k pa was blown out of proportion)

Hunt and Norman could get picked up by a warriors or Gold coast ? From what i have seen of Clune he aint going to do any worse then Hunt and he looks like he could move our team around very well. He is keen and ready. Sullivan not sure........Lomax maybe able to play 5/8 ?

2021 and beyond SQUAD wishlist: Knight $750k, Murray$550k, Suli $550k and Chricton $650k = $2.5m plus probably a very exciting emerging half as we will have close to a $1mill still available

Vaughan, McInnes, Knight?
Tyrell, Sims
Murray Cam?

Clune and Lomax / Sullivan - will probably need another 21/22yr old emerging exciting half in the wings?

Williame, Rava (Left)
Suli?, Saab (Right)
Chricton?

Bench: Kerr, Korbin, Merrin, Billy

18.Ford
19.Host
20.Lawrie
21.Blacker
22.Pereira
23.Faegai
24.Faegai
25.SSE
26.Ramsey
27.Sailor
28.?
29.?
30.?

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Knight 750k, Crichton 650k. Surely your taking the piss here???

yep taking the piss

how would i know what they can demand or not re $
got to start somehwere
can you pop your player manager hat on for me RedV13 and lend a hand
im stranded at sea obviously

i was trying to stay focussed on giving us the highest probability of success

I think we need a clear out of average performing players and an increase of high performing players

Murray and Knight and Panthers Chricton and Suli for me are an important blend of impact and 80min grinding players week in week out

redv13

Bench
yep taking the piss

how would i know what they can demand or not re $
got to start somehwere
can you pop your player manager hat on for me RedV13 and lend a hand
im stranded at sea obviously

i was trying to stay focussed on giving us the highest probability of success

I think we need a clear out of average performing players and an increase of high performing players

Murray and Knight and Panthers Chricton and Suli for me are an important blend of impact and 80min grinding players week in week out
Not disagreeing that we need some sort of clean out but surely your not serious that you would pay a 19 year old bench winger with 6 games experience 650k??
Same goes with Knight, he is not worth 750 not even close. JWH, AFB and Marty Taupau would be close but not Knight.

redv13

Bench
Not disagreeing that we need some sort of clean out but surely your not serious that you would pay a 19 year old bench winger with 6 games experience 650k??
Same goes with Knight, he is not worth 750 not even close. JWH, AFB and Marty Taupau would be close but not Knight.
Also I couldn’t imagine Cam Murray leaving Souths for 550k either

Coffs dragon

Bench
The road ahead this year will go one of two ways:
1. NRL suspended due to Coronavirus
2. Dragons in a 3 horse race with the Warriors & Titans for the Wooden Spoon

I can’t see anything else beyond this with the f.ckwit peanut pulling the strings!

It’s interesting how we all put our theories in as to whom to buy and which players need to be let go.
I’d almost bet my left testicle that if we had a head Coach that could actually improve players both on and off the field that I would be happy to keep 90% of our roster.
The current players are all going to underperform whilst our Coaching structure stays as is. We make that positive change in head coach and you watch the improvements in class and attitude that will follow from the playing group.

redv13

Bench
It’s interesting how we all put our theories in as to whom to buy and which players need to be let go.
I’d almost bet my left testicle that if we had a head Coach that could actually improve players both on and off the field that I would be happy to keep 90% of our roster.
The current players are all going to underperform whilst our Coaching structure stays as is. We make that positive change in head coach and you watch the improvements in class and attitude that will follow from the playing group.
Agree EHD. New coach, tinker with the outside backs and add a tough prop and we’ll be sweet. New coach will even make our halves fire

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade

i dont disagree hence my post and what i wrote in it

but there are layers to making sure we have the highest probability of success not just one thing

Coach
Coaching staff
Recruitment staff
Recruitment decisions
CEO
etc
but if our squad was so good we would have had coaches knocking down the walls to coach the team

If i was a gun coach, any team i looked at, would have to have a seriously good squad and only a couple of adjustments re players to ensure I could get success pretty quickly

I agree if we took the chance to play short side footy last night, just like the panthers did first 20mins, so they were kicking from key areas to control field position, then we would have been looking good

But lets be honest also when we had great kicking opportunities last night, our halves and their kicking was way below Cleary...................clearly !

Also the Panthers look so on the same page to move the ball around when in our zone until they see the space they want.........they dont run set plays to score so much........they run lines and make movements to open up the space and one on one type opportunities to score when the defence is scattered or isolated........like Smith and Melbourne etc