What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Tiger5150

Bench
My wild prediction for the week is that Bennett will find some reason, in and around round ten, to move Latrell back to centre.

He said what he had to and got his man but the Wiley Old Fox is always scheming.

I dont think it will take 10 rounds.

On a different tangent. I HATE the expression in and around. It cant be in AND around anything. Its just around. Graeme Hughes favourite expression.

Valheru

Coach
I give it until round 4 which will be the week after Robbo comes up with a game plan that completely exposes him at FB.

In all seriousness I think Bennett would put him in the centres now but they have to keep the facade of him leaving roosters to play FB up for a little while yet.

Tiger5150

Bench
I give it until round 4 which will be the week after Robbo comes up with a game plan that completely exposes him at FB.

In all seriousness I think Bennett would put him in the centres now but they have to keep the facade of him leaving roosters to play FB up for a little while yet.

And replace him with Alex Johnson now they forced Doueihi out

SBD82

Coach
The great modern day fb’s are fast, great ball handlers and super human in their efforts to get to where a kick is going or the play is heading. I’m just not sure he is built for that. Maybe he will reinvent the FB into the next iteration, or maybe he will be another GI, very good in a number of positions but not the best in any,
I’d say that GI was the best centre in the game for several seasons. Including some years when he was only picked there at rep level.

Big Pete

Referee
The bigger issue is that they have Alex Johnston in the squad and Souths have to go out of their way to find room for him in the team. Ordinarily, Bennett would have made that change with 10 to go, but given the quality of Johnston, he wanted to give him a bigger opportunity than he otherwise would have.

It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out going forward. It wasn't necessarily a bust because Souths were the better team for the majority of the contest. However Latrell did look hesitant to get involved and the few plays he did try didn't come off.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
The bigger issue is that they have Alex Johnston in the squad and Souths have to go out of their way to find room for him in the team. Ordinarily, Bennett would have made that change with 10 to go, but given the quality of Johnston, he wanted to give him a bigger opportunity than he otherwise would have.

It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out going forward. It wasn't necessarily a bust because Souths were the better team for the majority of the contest. However Latrell did look hesitant to get involved and the few plays he did try didn't come off.

Bennett did the same thing last season. Early days, he likes to get the miles into the legs of everyone

smart move

The Rosco

Bench
So Latrell plays 55 minutes on Saturday and has now gone home to Taree 48 hours before a game without Souths knowing. Wow. No wonder the Roosters ditched hi
. . . Careful there, Vic.
You'll have the flog lecturing you soon. Are there still fires in Taree ?

'Load managing'. . . . ??. Wittyfan: hold my beer . . . . .
Also, LOL@SOUFFS

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
He aint intetested atm.

He aint having a go.

He aint fit.

Clearly has other things on his mind.

He has no choice but to get with the program, sooner rather than later, or even the Souths faithful will turn on him.

Amazing how good Luke Keary made him look.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The info I got was that Madge never wanted Latrell, however the board wanted a big name so went for him

If he did end up at Wests it would have been completely different. It would have been in mid November with nearly a full pre season under Madge out of his comfort zone. That would have made or broken him.

However he took the easy choice and went to play with his mates and under the notoriously soft Wayne Bennett. I said at the time the cuddling and free reign Bennett gives players works great for some i.e Jamie Soward, Alan Langer etc. On the other side look at guys like Anthony Milford and Jack Bird who went to him and got fat and shit.

He rocked up at Souths mid January after 2 months of drinking, eating and fishing and was told he woud walk right into the most physically demanding positon in the game. Hows that for accountability?! The biggest indicator of his attitude was when given a day off 48 hours before a game he pissed off to Taree to fish and jet ski. When you consider he had just been subbed with nearly half an hour of the game left less then a week ago it reeks of a guy who doesnt have footy high on the priority list.

Now he may end up coming good and put egg on all our faces, however that isnt a week or two away, its going to take a long time and won't happen without a major, major attirude adjustment, something that I'm not sure the current environment will give him.

aqua_duck

Coach
The info I got was that Madge never wanted Latrell, however the board wanted a big name so went for him

If he did end up at Wests it would have been completely different. It would have been in mid November with nearly a full pre season under Madge out of his comfort zone. That would have made or broken him.

However he took the easy choice and went to play with his mates and under the notoriously soft Wayne Bennett. I said at the time the cuddling and free reign Bennett gives players works great for some i.e Jamie Soward, Alan Langer etc. On the other side look at guys like Anthony Milford and Jack Bird who went to him and got fat and shit.

He rocked up at Souths mid January after 2 months of drinking, eating and fishing and was told he woud walk right into the most physically demanding positon in the game. Hows that for accountability?! The biggest indicator of his attitude was when given a day off 48 hours before a game he pissed off to Taree to fish and jet ski. When you consider he had just been subbed with nearly half an hour of the game left less then a week ago it reeks of a guy who doesnt have footy high on the priority list.

Now he may end up coming good and put egg on all our faces, however that isnt a week or two away, its going to take a long time and won't happen without a major, major attirude adjustment, something that I'm not sure the current environment will give him.
You hit the nail on the head, Bennett's approach doesn't work with everyone. Some people's respond brilliantly to Wayne's father figure approach especially guys who perhaps haven't really 'felt the love' before, some guys especially ones who achieve a lot in a short space of time need a disciplinarian to keep them on the right path