What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited's Favourite Movie

vvvrulz

Coach
Me? I found it f**king tedious.

Hah, you're not the only one.

I watched it only last year, which result probably hampered my experience given that The Godfather spawned an entire genre of movies already seen. Cinematography is fantastic, truly timeless, but while I love a good slow burn this plot just wasn't doing enough for me given it's reputation.

I enjoyed it, but it will never make my top ten.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Hah, you're not the only one.

I watched it only last year, which result probably hampered my experience given that The Godfather spawned an entire genre of movies already seen. Cinematography is fantastic, truly timeless, but while I love a good slow burn this plot just wasn't doing enough for me given it's reputation.

I enjoyed it, but it will never make my top ten.

Doesn't even rate a mention in my top 100. I've fallen asleep both times I've tried to watch it.

#10-6...

Se7en???? I liked it ok enough but never would have picked it to be rated that high. It didn’t even cross my mind when doing my original list.. but there’ll always be surprises in lists like this.

Goodfellas - I like it but I’ve never been as big a fan of it as many of my mates are. I probably see it every 3 or 4 years which is enough for me. However it does have one of my most hated characters in movies... whoever Joe Pesci played. He played it brilliantly but I cannot stand him whatsoever. But a hated character in film is a good thing for mine.

Aliens - absolutely. #28 on my list. And while the years have rolled on, it can still bring a chill to the back of my neck... two scenes in particular...
“They can’t be, that’s inside the room...”
“It’s reading right man. Look....”
Everyone’s neck cranes up...

And...

Newt stuck waist deep in the water...

The Godfather. Love it. Seems to be polarising here though. Perhaps it’s a generation thing??

LOTR - standard list maker on this.

Springs09

Juniors
All great movies but didn't expect Se7en or Aliens to be in the Top 10. Not bothered though.

So 2 left for me with Return of the King coming 8th. Solid positioning for all Lord of the Rings films. Good work guys.

nöyd

Staff member
Se7en just missed my top 10
Arguably Fincher's best
Morgan Freeman being the token close-to-retirement cop without repeating how he's "too old for this shit"
Arguably Brad Pitt's best.
Just has a grit and realness to it that makes you feel uneasy when watching.

Love it.

nöyd

Staff member
Just picked up a still-sealed blu-ray copy of the directors cut of The Exorcist at a local pawn shop for $5.

I know it didn't make the final cut in this list but it was my #1 and will always be unless/until something out of this world comes along.

Matua

Bench
Just picked up a still-sealed blu-ray copy of the directors cut of The Exorcist at a local pawn shop for $5.

I know it didn't make the final cut in this list but it was my #1 and will always be unless/until something out of this world comes along.
Mark Kermode, didn't know you were a league fan.

Misanthrope

Staff member

LU's Favourite Movie: #5 - #3
= #4 - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - 966 points

Director: Irvin Kershner.
Starring: Mark Hammil, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels, David Prowse, Kenny Baker, Peter Mayhew, and Frank Oz.
Awards: Best Sound and Special Award for Technical Achievement.

Arguably the most famous example of a sequel that outdid its predecessor, the second installment in the original Star Wars trilogy also manages to achieve the difficult feat of overcoming second-film-syndrome by also outshining its sequel.

Full of twists and turns, The Empire Strikes Back has some of the most iconic moments in modern cinema, including a twist that blew the minds of cinema-goers all over the world. Still looked upon as the best in the now eleven film Star Wars family, Empire is a terrific film even if you aren't a fan of the genre.

= #4 - Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) - 966 points

Director: James Cameron
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Edward Furlong, Linda Hamilton, and Robert Patrick.
Awards: Best Makeup, Best Sound, Best Sound Effects Editing, and Best Visual Effects.

From one fantastic sequel to another, James Cameron's second installment in the Terminator franchise managed to take the tense cat & mouse of the first movie and amped it up with a balls to the wall action movie.

Schwarzenegger returned as the iconic Terminator, this time taking on the role of hero as he paired up with a plucky Edward Furlong to fend off the attacks of a new generation of killing machine played with relentless intensity by Robert Patrick.

Expanding upon the world that the first film introduced, Terminator 2 remains one of the best action movies of all time.

#3 - The Dark Knight (2008) - 1554 points

Director: Christopher Nolan
Starring: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Morgan Freeman.
Awards: Best Supporting Actor (Heath Ledger) and Best Sound Editing.

We're on a roll with terrific sequels, as Nolan's The Dark Knight is another film that not only surpasses its predecessor but also shines as the greatest film in Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Featuring a career-best performance from Heath Ledger that would ultimately prove to be his final role, Nolan's tense follow-up to Batman Begins features Bale's Batman pitted against a criminally genius Joker and his plan to break Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent. It is a film full of impressive set pieces and great performances, and one I'm sure we've all rewatched a time or ten.

Probably need to watch The Dark Knight again. I wasn’t really paying attention and everyone seems to pull their collective dicks about it.

ESB. Great movie. Loved it as a kid.

T2 is awesome. Whenever I think of this movie I straight away think about how f**king awesome GnR’s Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 were. Cover to cover over both CD’s, hit after hit. Possibly overshadowing the actual movie. “You could be mine” is an absolute ball-tearing track to this day.

Probably need to watch The Dark Knight again. I wasn’t really paying attention and everyone seems to pull their collective dicks about it.

ESB. Great movie. Loved it as a kid.

T2 is awesome. Whenever I think of this movie I straight away think about how f**king awesome GnR’s Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 were. Cover to cover over both CD’s, hit after hit. Possibly overshadowing the actual movie. “You could be mine” is an absolute ball-tearing track to this day.

OT.... are you gonna get a new avatar now mate?

when I read the news this morning, one of the first things that popped in my head was SSS and his avatar...

3 awesome movies...

Only Empire made my top 30... but through this process it’s proving to me that even if I did a top 50, maybe even a top 100, there’d still be cracking movies that would still miss out.

And for those playing at home, there are two absolute morals that have yet to bubble to the surface .... but in which order shall they finish..

OT.... are you gonna get a new avatar now mate?

when I read the news this morning, one of the first things that popped in my head was SSS and his avatar...

Heheh. I suppose I’ll have to.

I can’t even think of one player who jumps to mind as “avatar worthy”. McInnes maybe? The rest are shit. Sims turns up every 3rd game.

Dark days... :frowning2:

Matua

Bench
Well, I'm in full meltdown mode. The Dark Knight??? Higher than the Godfather, and Empire, and Terminator, and just about the entire rest of the list. Is everybody in this place so young they saw it in the cinemas as a teenager? There's no other way to explain it. Take away Ledger's performance and it drops from being a good film to being average. It's not even close to being Nolan's best film.

End rant/ return back to my life. :)

Last edited: