What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs The Dragons

franklin2323

Immortal
The Cleary doubters have been very quiet, great to see Nathan playing well. I know footy is far from the most important thing going on atm but it would be such a shame for the club and his development if the comp is suspended.

He has the same amount of try assists as Mansour. He does things well being creative isn’t one

Pomoz

Bench
He’s played well so far in these two games, no doubt about it. One thing I’ve been looking for is improvement in creativity, seen some nice kicks from him, but he still looks awkward with his passing. I just think that’s the way it’s going to be, his attributes lie elsewhere.
I have also criticised his creativity and I think you have perfectly described where he is at right now. Passing ok, but not brilliant and kicking is good In fact, I think his tactical kicking has gone to another level this year. Less bombs, more kicks to corners at the right time, more kicks to grass, and better in goal grubbers and behind the line kicks to create errors by the opposition (Maloney used to do this for us). At this rate, he could become the best tactical kicker in the NRL.

Whilst still a bit mechanical, I think he is passing better than last year. Api has helped in two ways: he gives earlier ball which gives Cleary more time to think: and now when Api has the ball the defence pauses to see what he might do and don't rush up on Nathan. I think Nathan needs that little bit more time so he can process what to do, as he is not a natural ball player. That extra time has improved his game quite markedly.

hindy111

Post Whore
Me either. Crichton is the reason I wasn’t upset in leaving

My biggest issue....
I want a team of guys who hate to lose. Moses is a bit of a knob. But he hates not winning. These are the attitude you want.
Blake seems like a whatever kinda guy. I want to see players punching ground when drop the ball.

mxlegend99

Referee
He has the same amount of try assists as Mansour. He does things well being creative isn’t one
There's no one (yet) with more try assists than him. You would think he has 1 try assistin 5 games for that claim

Nathan Cleary - 2 in 2 games
Cody Walker - 2 in 2 games
Michael Morgan - 2 in 2 games

His stats for 2 games
1 try
1 linebreak
2 try assists
2 linebreak assists
1 40/20
1 forced drop out

In a team where his entire spine is new. I mean put any halfback playing eith a new hooker, halves partner and fullback. How many are going to be any better than him? He's only 2 games into his career as the main playmaker and looks like he has improved in all areas including creativity. Especially with his boot. His boot has given us a try, forced drop out, 40/20, chip and chase, turned theopposition around and helped control 2 games where they were getting away from us. He's no Thurston. But he seems to have a great mix of creativity and taking percentage plays.

Dave's mate

Juniors
I have also criticised his creativity and I think you have perfectly described where he is at right now. Passing ok, but not brilliant and kicking is good In fact, I think his tactical kicking has gone to another level this year. Less bombs, more kicks to corners at the right time, more kicks to grass, and better in goal grubbers and behind the line kicks to create errors by the opposition (Maloney used to do this for us). At this rate, he could become the best tactical kicker in the NRL.

Whilst still a bit mechanical, I think he is passing better than last year. Api has helped in two ways: he gives earlier ball which gives Cleary more time to think: and now when Api has the ball the defence pauses to see what he might do and don't rush up on Nathan. I think Nathan needs that little bit more time so he can process what to do, as he is not a natural ball player. That extra time has improved his game quite markedly.

A gameplan thats not based around dumping the ball to Kikau every chance is helping a heap.
With how good of a ball runner Nathan is he doesn't need to be the best ball player. The players outside him will always have space and 1 on 1 opportunities

betcats

Referee
That’s a good point about quarantining them from the rest of the squad. This is such a difficult situation.

Yeah it is really hard. I think in the short term while all this is going on the priority for clubs will be getting an nrl team on the field. Development in the way of game time for some players unfortunately will need to take a back seat to the needs of the nrl team.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Yeah it is really hard. I think in the short term while all this is going on the priority for clubs will be getting an nrl team on the field. Development in the way of game time for some players unfortunately will need to take a back seat to the needs of the nrl team.
Would allowing a bench of 6 be beneficial? Maybe the last 2 spots have to be players under 22 and played less than 50 games or something. Also can't play 2 weeks in a row. Probably not worth the hassle

The yak

Juniors
I thought Tetevano played well. 14 hit ups, 175 metres, 16 tackles (no misses) in a 34 minute stint.
We lost our way a bit when he and Tamou went off. The intercept changed the momentum but it upset our rhythm. We started going for the quick and easy option. That is when we needed older heads to stayed composed.
Tetevano comes back on and we score two more tries and close out the match.
Something I will be keenly watching how the game changes when he goes off in the coming weeks.

Pomoz

Bench
A couple of points after another excellent, determined win:
  • We are definitely tougher this year and look more like the dogged, fit side that run down teams in the second half during the 'Hook' years;
  • I do not understand the criticism of Aekins. He ain't Tedesco and his salary reflects that. 19 runs, 159m on Foxsports, 194m on NRL. It doesn't matter which, both are excellent output for 58 minutes. No mistakes (the air swing catch was not counted as an error since he didn't knock on and recovered the ball), 2 tackle breaks. He was more than willing to take the ball up early in the tackle count and get belted. Crichton's positioning has been shown up two weeks in a row. Why put him at fullback when Aekins is doing a solid job?;
  • Crichton is clearly a great up and coming player and should start, but who does he replace? Whare is still trying to catch Willame and he would of caught him if he had set off the day before or called Uber. If any player looks like they are cooked it is him. Can Crichton play centre?;
  • Mansour and Naden get loads of criticism but they both let in tries and created one as well. Mansour's effort bringing the ball up was outstanding and Naden's chasing likewise. Naden ran from the other side of the field to chase Duffy and made rapid ground to force the try to the corner, where the subsequent kick was missed. He chased down a kick to force Duffy to clear for a repeat set. These two might not be stars, but they are playing tough and committed;
  • Cleary's kicking was masterful and he run the ball well too. Well done;
  • Luai seems to be still feeling his way into the team. He is not playing badly, but I would like to see more from him. He is sort of like Cleary was with Maloney and taking a back seat too often;
  • Recruiting Api was a stroke of genius, so well done to the three wise men for the Gold. But our lack of pace is there for all to see and we failed badly in that area. I don't know if Capewell is fast enough to be a centre full time, but if he ends up in the back row it is a bizarre decision not to recruit another back. "Less of the frankincense next time".

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Jeez i hate it when ex players and the media overhype players.
Last night Blocker Roach says Crichton reminds him of Folau. The headline of the Saturday Telegraph 'New Folau Delivers'.
It happens all the time when papers want a grab you headline but it's an unfair expectation and probably extra pressure on the individual.

I have seen a multitude of good young players coming through overhyped by the media, that never for numerous reasons fulfil their talents. The next 'Sonny Bill', the next 'Israel Folau' they cry. There never will be another Sonny Bill of Israel Folau.

Crichton could be anything. Let him develop, praise his good moments and leave it at that.

MugaB

Coach
Jeez i hate it when ex players and the media overhype players.
Last night Blocker Roach says Crichton reminds him of Folau. The headline of the Saturday Telegraph 'New Folau Delivers'.
It happens all the time when papers want a grab you headline but it's an unfair expectation and probably extra pressure on the individual.

I have seen a multitude of good young players coming through overhyped by the media, that never for numerous reasons fulfil their talents. The next 'Sonny Bill', the next 'Israel Folau' they cry. There never will be another Sonny Bill of Israel Folau.

Crichton could be anything. Let him develop, praise his good moments and leave it at that.
At least its better than calling him the next jarrod hayne, what a complete fkwit that guy was

mxlegend99

Referee
His passing is the reason Mansour even has a try assist.
Also... Mansours offload could have easily put the Dragons away for a try rather than Kikau. He threw it to no one just as he did for Dragons to score earlier.

His kick last week was a good try assist. But he's one of very few wingers to make a break and not be a chance at scoring.

franklin2323

Immortal
A gameplan thats not based around dumping the ball to Kikau every chance is helping a heap.
With how good of a ball runner Nathan is he doesn't need to be the best ball player. The players outside him will always have space and 1 on 1 opportunities

The gameplan that comes from Api. We look more structured but Nathan isn’t throwing cut out passes or doing anything special. Just doing the basics well

franklin2323

Immortal
Crichton's try in the Roosters game was entirely set up with Cleary's passing creating the space for the backline. It was perfect.

Even the Crichton try in this game showed Cleary's ability to play what he sees and set someone up.

Lazy marker defence left a huge gap last night. You would expect a half to head towards that gap

As for the Roosters. There were 3 other passes after that. We are doing things better as a team. Chances are we score those tries even Burton or someone is filling in

Latest posts