What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Dragsters

First Grade

images (11).jpeg

Drops Mic...

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The sooner they suspend the NRL & AFL seasons the better. With further restrictions placed on social distancing and closing of state borders imminent. The people need to understand it’s very serious and as a community it’s a bad sign to let overpaid footballers be exempt from following these restrictions.
It’s not a good look and sport need to adhere and lead in helping contain this threat.
I watched the govt media conference this morning and there will be state and federal cabinet meeting this afternoon to sign off on numerous proposals, including:

1. The closure of all non-essential businesses from next Tuesday.
2. The suspension of interstate travel for sporting events from next Tuesday.

Nothing confirmed yet but that's the direction they've heading in.

In defence of the NRL, rugby league has a history of playing on through crisis. The League took what was seen as a pragmatic approach through both world wars and provided an outlet for fans through hard times.

Granted, in this case it is also driven by revenue forces such as broadcasting and betting. But either way, it may get to the point where the decision will not be the NRL's to make.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I watched the govt media conference this morning and there will be state and federal cabinet meeting this afternoon to sign off on numerous proposals, including:

1. The closure of all non-essential businesses from next Tuesday.
2. The suspension of interstate travel for sporting events from next Tuesday.

Nothing confirmed yet but that's the direction they've heading in.

In defence of the NRL, rugby league has a history of playing on through crisis. The League took what was seen as a pragmatic approach through both world wars and provided an outlet for fans through hard times.

Granted, in this case it is also driven by revenue forces such as broadcasting and betting. But either way, it may get to the point where the decision will not be the NRL's to make.
Will we see the 1 venue solution up north after all?

avocado

Juniors
Why not supply each player with a pair of those virtual reality goggles and we can have a comp without the players even leaving home.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
The single venue solution seems the only possible way it could continue on from here, surely. Almost like magic rd each week with different games on back to back each day. It could work, if they want to go that far.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Why not supply each player with a pair of those virtual reality goggles and we can have a comp without the players even leaving home.
E-sports.. everyone is assigned an avatar and gets to playing virtually..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
AFL gone after Sth Australia shut it's borders.

On the news now that NSW set to shut down. So that will be it for the NRL.
Play it all out of Canberra Stadium. The ACT has enough open space that people won’t be on top of one another.

Great hospitals, plenty of spare accomodation right now..

If it’s good enough for ScoMo to work out of there, it’s good enough for EuAit too..

Belta

Juniors
Play it all out of Canberra Stadium. The ACT has enough open space that people won’t be on top of one another.

Great hospitals, plenty of spare accomodation right now..

If it’s good enough for ScoMo to work out of there, it’s good enough for EuAit too..

And the schools are pupil free from Tuesday. Another positive for the NRL risk factor assessment.

Dragonsamy

Bench
The 1 venue solution?

Sorry I was replying to Dragonslayer,
They are looking at everything but 1 venue has some merit.
From what I know about the virus it would have to be at a place like North Queensland new home ground or a confined space like Bankwest Stadium.
With Victoria closing the border I don't know how that's going to do affect the storm as well I've heard that by Tuesday we may also have a close border. Now I don't know if that is for sure but it looks like we will have.

Latest posts