What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
My thoughts go out to all the families who have now lost their jobs and businesses.
The domino effect will be horrendous.
I have just arrived at work to the news about 3 courses I had booked which would have provided 3 months worth of work have been cancelled. Worst thing is the work is remote and only 2 staff. So the job is fine but the course isn’t. This is going to get very grim. I wonder if on the curve they have factored in suicide, drug and alcohol problems because Corona virus won’t be the only health issue we face over the next few years.

Dragonsamy

Bench
I have just arrived at work to the news about 3 courses I had booked which would have provided 3 months worth of work have been cancelled. Worst thing is the work is remote and only 2 staff. So the job is fine but the course isn’t. This is going to get very grim. I wonder if on the curve they have factored in suicide, drug and alcohol problems because Corona virus won’t be the only health issue we face over the next few years.

Sad but so true Forbes hang in there mate all the best to you and your friends and love one's.

Dragon David

First Grade
Very sorry for you Forbes Creek Dragons as well as for all of the others who have been utterly affected including my children and other members of my family due to this insidious virus. We are all faced with this diabolical dilemma and not one man on this planet has escaped this intrusion into his and her life.

We know that this virus is actively taking out many people in the world and how it is changing many destinies in all forms of day to day living including social activities, business ventures, sporting events, education programs and just everyday matters that we will miss being able to automatically do. Lockdowns and isolation for a decent period will curtail the spread of the virus so it is important for people to do this. Cut off the spread as quickly as possible and then the time to get back to normal living is sooner. Not cutting off the spread will of course mean that the virus will do more damage and prolong the lockdowns etc. and our lives won't get back to normal for much longer.

You mention that you "wonder if on the curve they have factored in suicide, drug and alcohol problems". They are definitely on the cards as well as more domestic violence, robberies, general violence, boredom and of course financial burden. We have to endure the lockdowns and isolations for as long as we need to in order for us to go back to normal day to day living as quickly as possible. Unfortunately other health issues such as depression, stress and anxiety will increase and have longer term effects.

NRL considering moving entire competition to Calliope mining facility amid virus
By WWOS staff
2 hours a
ARLC chairman Peter V'landys has confirmed that the entire NRL competition could be moved to a Central Queensland mining town to keep playing games amid coronavirus.

The audacious plan would see NRL players and officials - some 500 people - housed at a vacant mining accommodation in Calliope, near Gladstone.

The drastic measure is being considered because the NRL may be able to survive just six weeks if it can't play games and retain its broadcast income, which amounts to a reported $13 million per week.

The loss of the whole season would create a $500 million black hole that would bankrupt the game and push clubs into extinction.

"Relocation is definitely an option and we are looking at that right at the moment," V'landys told The Courier-Mail.

"Gladstone is the one place we could go to but there are some logistic problems to overcome before we go through with it. But certainly relocating the players is on the table.

"The experts are saying we can go on at the moment, but things can change at any time."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F4db87048-9e65-4230-9731-c94cc118a425

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and ARLC chairman Peter V'landys. (Getty)
The Homeground Villages facility at Calliope is vast, having been built to house more than 2000 fly-in, fly-out mining workers at one time. It has 1392 rooms and would provide the NRL with an isolated accommodation for players and officials.

"These are some of the best facilities you will ever see," Gladstone Region Mayor Matt Burnett told The Sydney Morning Herald last week.

"If you've ever worked in fly-in, fly-out accommodation, this is the best bar none. It has swimming pools, each room has its own ensuite.

"We have the capacity to host every NRL team, plus (broadcasters) and offer them a quarantined, insulated facility away from COVID-19.

"I don't believe anywhere else in Queensland, or Australia for that matter, could offer what we could offer."

It is unclear how the arrangement would fit within federal government rules around mass gatherings; it would require players to stringently self-isolate between training and games, and any outbreak of COVID-19 within the accommodation would surely spread quickly.

Games would be played at Marley Brown Oval, which hosted a Titans vs Manly NRL match in 2018.

The NRL could consider playing until as late as December 20 to ensure all matches are played this season.

League bosses are expected to provide further updates on Monday. While desperate plans are being made to play on, increasing COVID-19 crackdowns from the federal and state governments may leave no option but to suspend the competition.

"At this stage, our intent is to play on and we remain committed to the continuation of the 2020 season as far as government advice allows it," NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said on Sunday.

"We have, and always will, stringently followed all government health advice and medical protocols to protect the health and safety of the community and our players."

URL LINK: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/reloca...modation/9062f316-68b7-42f0-9ef1-e87ee932bcf7

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragon David

First Grade
This coronavirus has a lot to answer for - all being bad. The initialisation of the virus from somebody on this earth has created a monster of untold proportions never experienced in our lifetime. Mankind, globally, will never be the same for quite some time and future hygiene will unquestionably be enhanced to ensure people maintain a healthy and safe environment to live in.

There will definitely be a vaccine made available to combat this virus and everybody in the world should have access to it. Also, pharmaceutical firms, pharmacies, sanitisation makers, soaps and disinfectant producers, masks, gloves etc worldwide will be increasing production and making a motza out of distributing and selling these products and they will be necessary for the future of mankind.

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree. But what of the anti-vaxxers? Their biggest fear is being forced to vaccinate.
Yes, that will indeed be a problem like those against triple antigen and measles shots which they say causes other issues in kids and people. There will always be those people against these things as it is just human nature. No-one can be perfect and not all have similar views on so many issues just like on this forum. As the saying goes, "to each his/her/their own", but you do have to have faith in the people who have all the skills and knowledge to help us with the continuation of humankind.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes, that will indeed be a problem like those against triple antigen and measles shots which they say causes other issues in kids and people. There will always be those people against these things as it is just human nature. No-one can be perfect and not all have similar views on so many issues just like on this forum. As the saying goes, "to each his/her/their own", but you do have to have faith in the people who have all the skills and knowledge to help us with the continuation of humankind.
'Each to their own' is a fine way of looking at things, until someone disagrees. The anti-vaxxers will do so with a detrimental effect, although they don't see it that way. As far as they're concerned, it's everyone else who is being brainwashed.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Anti Vaxxers. Charles Darwin’s Theory of Natural Selection in action.