What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

_Johnsy

Referee
Dear NRL/ARLC/PVL:

Please listen to the Gov and to the Chief Medical Officer and act upon their advice and instruction.

Please do not listen to the alarmists, the misinformed and the idiots.

Please keep Rugby League going and televised up until such time as the Aust Gov says we should not.

I'd temper that advice re: PM & CMO.

3 weeks ago our PM & the CMO unequivocally stated send your kids to school because we need to protect grandparents as they will be looking after them if they stay home, & grandparents are at higher risk.

Now we have the same 2 men saying send them to school, as there is no data to suggest they are carriers of the virus. Conversely, there is also nil data to suggest they do not carry the virus. There are confirmed cases that children have been infected. ergo, they do carry the virus. if they carry the virus they can spread the virus.

So, if kids can infect their grandparents, why is it they can't infect other kids at school or teachers, when you cannot implement the 1 person per 4sq m rule.

So what is the real reason the PM & CMO do not want to close schools, as it is obvious it is not for the safety of grandparents/family/teachers?

There is more to this than the main priority is health & safety of Australians, that much is obvious.

In short I do not trust the PM one iota.

no name

Coach

3 weeks ago our PM & the CMO unequivocally stated send your kids to school because we need to protect grandparents as they will be looking after them if they stay home, & grandparents are at higher risk.

Now we have the same 2 men saying send them to school, as there is no data to suggest they are carriers of the virus. Conversely, there is also nil data to suggest they do not carry the virus. There are confirmed cases that children have been infected. ergo, they do carry the virus. if they carry the virus they can spread the virus.

So, if kids can infect their grandparents, why is it they can't infect other kids at school or teachers, when you cannot implement the 1 person per 4sq m rule.

So what is the real reason the PM & CMO do not want to close schools, as it is obvious it is not for the safety of grandparents/family/teachers?

There is more to this than the main priority is health & safety of Australians, that much is obvious.

The mixed messaging around all things and particularly schools has been nothing short of ridiculous.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I was for a shutdown but if they can isolate the players and comp in one space I dont see why it's a problem to keep playing.

There's going to be emotionally charged hitpieces from AFL journos and the usual haters of our game. Theyve already started throwing around shit like "moral authority" and the bandana wearing f**kwit is no doubt tweeting up a storm. They will mask it as concern for the public. But really it's about spruiking the AFL and damaging Rugby League. They would be saying the exact opposite if the roles were reversed.

_Johnsy

Referee
I was for a shutdown but if they can isolate the players and comp in one space I dont see why it's a problem to keep playing.

There isn't an issue if the protocols and procedures are (excuse the pun) air tight.

You should know that the AFL were the first sport in the world to take these measures, and are the litmus test of all things good & right in modern Australian society..

sempmrh

Juniors
Right now the supermarket is probably the place I'm most worried about getting infected. There's a lot more people than usual at my local supermarket, and last time I was there there were plenty of merkins walking around sneezing and coughing into their hands and then putting their diseased fingers all over stuff.
Sure is a good time to be working in a supermarket, let me tell you. We’re all exhausted from this shit. The rational part of my brain tells me everything is fine provided you take precautions but the way everyone else is behaving and the constant news reporting puts you on edge. These people should have enough food by now to last six months - now f**k off and stay at home.

Cactus

Juniors

Nice try at a conspiracy theory.

A month ago here in Australia we were pretty much blissfully unaware of the severity of this issue.

Do you realise that during the period you mention, the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) here is Australia provides advice by way of analysis of ongoing data as it occurs from the worldwide medical community including the World Health Organisation (WHO). Then has discussions with the State CMOs, then more analysis and then collates that and offers advice to the Fed Gov here in Australia via the National Cabinet. That takes time and is subject to the supply of the data.

That advice has had to evolve just as the data has evolved during this period.

Did you know the mortality rate for the elderly runs at between 8-14% for those over 69 (ie the grandparents you mentioned) while its 0% for 0-9 year olds and .2% for 10-19 year olds.

And most importantly if the incubation period is on average 2-14 days (but up to 27 days) would it not be simple to explain the evolving advice during the last number of weeks ?

If you would like a nice conspiracy, please take a look at the head of WHO and dig a little into his connections with China.

MKCS

Juniors
Yep.
If these blokes, who have an average salary of $300k a year haven't put aside anything for a rainy day then they deserve to be skint on the hard times.

It seems like a lot but after tax and player agent fees I think it'd be closer to half that 300k for them take home. Many players want to live the high life also and have families/friends/partners looking for big ongoing financial support.

I watched a documentary piece about NBA and NFL players who made millions of dollars a year and somehow get rid of it all. People close to them wanting their money, bad investments, wanting to live a "baller lifestyle" and then their careers end due to a shock injury or because they aren't good enough anymore and they are broke. Very sad.

I'd totally agree that with a take home of 160-170k a year you should be banking at least 20-30k for a rainy day but when you're young, think the money is going to be around forever and are rich for the first time in your life it'd be hard not to be a spender.

_Johnsy

Referee
Nice try at a conspiracy theory.

A month ago here in Australia we were pretty much blissfully unaware of the severity of this issue.

Do you realise that during the period you mention, the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) here is Australia provides advice by way of analysis of ongoing data as it occurs from the worldwide medical community including the World Health Organisation (WHO). Then has discussions with the State CMOs, then more analysis and then collates that and offers advice to the Fed Gov here in Australia via the National Cabinet. That takes time and is subject to the supply of the data.

That advice has had to evolve just as the data has evolved during this period.

Did you know the mortality rate for the elderly runs at between 8-14% for those over 69 (ie the grandparents you mentioned) while its 0% for 0-9 year olds and .2% for 10-19 year olds.

And most importantly if the incubation period is on average 2-14 days (but up to 27 days) would it not be simple to explain the evolving advice during the last number of weeks ?

If you would like a nice conspiracy, please take a look at the head of WHO and dig a little into his connections with China.

I'd suggest you were blissfully unaware, certainly not everyone.

Yes I am aware of all the above you mention.

So which of the two points I raised re: the advice from the PM & CMO is incorrect?

You accuse me of trying to manufacture a conspiracy theory, then allude to one yourself. Interesting rationale.

My point was what else is behind the decision not to close schools when the advice given is still contradictory? I'm not searching for a conspiracy, just a little transparency form those making decisions and why those decisions are being made. Surely that's not too much to ask from our leaders considering the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Anyway, each to their own. stay safe.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It seems like a lot but after tax and player agent fees I think it'd be closer to half that 300k for them take home. Many players want to live the high life also and have families/friends/partners looking for big ongoing financial support.

I watched a documentary piece about NBA and NFL players who made millions of dollars a year and somehow get rid of it all. People close to them wanting their money, bad investments, wanting to live a "baller lifestyle" and then their careers end due to a shock injury or because they aren't good enough anymore and they are broke. Very sad.

I'd totally agree that with a take home of 160-170k a year you should be banking at least 20-30k for a rainy day but when you're young, think the money is going to be around forever and are rich for the first time in your life it'd be hard not to be a spender.
That's the problem with the whole NRL shebang. Spending money like there's no tomorrow and then tomorrow comes......

Cactus

Juniors
I'd suggest you were blissfully unaware, certainly not everyone.

Yes I am aware of all the above you mention.

So which of the two points I raised re: the advice from the PM & CMO is incorrect?

You accuse me of trying to manufacture a conspiracy theory, then allude to one yourself. Interesting rationale.

My point was what else is behind the decision not to close schools when the advice given is still contradictory? I'm not searching for a conspiracy, just a little transparency form those making decisions and why those decisions are being made. Surely that's not too much to ask from our leaders considering the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Anyway, each to their own. stay safe.

You are asserting that there is some sort of hidden agenda due to 2 differing pieces of advice.

I have provided info to support the fact that the difference isnt so much contradictory as it was simply amended advice given as changing data evolved. Its quite clear the worldwide medical community were caught by surprise by this unprecedented event. Whats so hard to understand about that.

Latest posts