What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

T-Boon

Coach
I realise this just sounds opportunistic on my part but I think I am the most willing to think outside the square.
So, to keep the contract going with fox we need 8 games a week.
Lets leave every option open - like less players per team and more breaks in play etc.
AFL is a bit screwed because they have too much of a national comp AND they need too many players on the field etc.
Lets be prepared to play with 10 per side.

blue bags

First Grade
It seems like a lot but after tax and player agent fees I think it'd be closer to half that 300k for them take home. Many players want to live the high life also and have families/friends/partners looking for big ongoing financial support.

I watched a documentary piece about NBA and NFL players who made millions of dollars a year and somehow get rid of it all. People close to them wanting their money, bad investments, wanting to live a "baller lifestyle" and then their careers end due to a shock injury or because they aren't good enough anymore and they are broke. Very sad.

I'd totally agree that with a take home of 160-170k a year you should be banking at least 20-30k for a rainy day but when you're young, think the money is going to be around forever and are rich for the first time in your life it'd be hard not to be a spender.
yes agree, i saw an interview with Anthony ''the man''mundine , he admitted blowing over $3million in cash, on loans to friends, family, spending to much on holidays,clothes, shopping, cars, gifts, just blowing alot of his money away, and not investing it , so he gets a return on the investments, , he stopped wasting so much money , lucky for him is he had 10s of $millions more

taste2taste

Juniors
Anyone know how the NRL is rating ? Is anybody watching ?
I had a look at tvtonight.com and NRL didn't crack it in the top 20 on Sunday or Thursday but did get in the top 20 with 359,000 watching on FTA for Friday.

How does this compare with what the NRL would usually rate ?

franklin2323

Immortal
It seems like a lot but after tax and player agent fees I think it'd be closer to half that 300k for them take home. Many players want to live the high life also and have families/friends/partners looking for big ongoing financial support.

I watched a documentary piece about NBA and NFL players who made millions of dollars a year and somehow get rid of it all. People close to them wanting their money, bad investments, wanting to live a "baller lifestyle" and then their careers end due to a shock injury or because they aren't good enough anymore and they are broke. Very sad.

I'd totally agree that with a take home of 160-170k a year you should be banking at least 20-30k for a rainy day but when you're young, think the money is going to be around forever and are rich for the first time in your life it'd be hard not to be a spender.

Sports players in this country pay 49% tax.
10% Manager fees

The big deals end up right down when you add morgages too it

18to87

First Grade
Anyone know how the NRL is rating ? Is anybody watching ?
I had a look at tvtonight.com and NRL didn't crack it in the top 20 on Sunday or Thursday but did get in the top 20 with 359,000 watching on FTA for Friday.

How does this compare with what the NRL would usually rate ?
If they can pull off a comp in Gladstone and we are all locked down, they will skyrocket.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It will be a PR disaster if even one case of covid is caught by contact via an NRL game for a player or support staff.

There is no way to get around the ban on non-essential travel. If the comp does relocate to a single town the players coming from interstate will still need to do the mandatory 2 week quarantine as every state has restricted entry.

This strategy has not been well thought out.

I'll admit I was not taking this seriously 10 days ago but I am not stubborn enough to hold onto my opinion when the facts radically change. If I can wake up to this crisis, the NRL should too.

taste2taste

Juniors
It looks like qld are going to close their boarders, so that'll be the end of our season for a while.

We could still play 3 more rounds, with the qld teams playing each other once and the rest of the teams can play as normal and then pull up stumps. We'd have completed 5 rounds and hopefully will be able to resume at some point.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
You are asserting that there is some sort of hidden agenda due to 2 differing pieces of advice.

I have provided info to support the fact that the difference isnt so much contradictory as it was simply amended advice given as changing data evolved. Its quite clear the worldwide medical community were caught by surprise by this unprecedented event. Whats so hard to understand about that.

No the advice has not changed, both are still sticking to both pieces of advice. You may not like it, but they do contradict each other. It can't be "Isn't so much contradictory", it either is or it isn't. Time to hop off the fence.

I believe that our PM is more concerned about the economy than keeping teachers safe and reducing the spread of COVID-19 within the school community because there is a massively reduced mortality in younger children. The possibility teachers may become infected is just a sacrifice the PM is willing to make.

https://www.cebm.net/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/
≤ 9 years 0% mortality rate
10 to 19 years 0.018% mortality rate
20 to 49 years 0.32% mortality rate
50 to 59 years 1.3% mortality rate
60 to 69. years 3.6% mortality rate

Are you saying this assertion is 100% incorrect?

2 weeks

Coach
Replace Freddy Mercury with Peter V'landys

Empty spaces, what are we living for?
Abandoned places, I guess we know the score, on and on
Does anybody know what we are looking for?
Another hero, another mindless crime
Behind the curtain, in the pantomime
Hold the line
Does anybody want to take it anymore?

The show must go on
The show must go on, yeah
Inside my heart is breaking
My makeup may be flaking
But my smile, still, stays on

Game_Breaker

Coach
Only one way to go forward, and that's if all clubs play in one location (if they go ahead)

The decision needs to be made fast because QLD closes their border on midnight Wednesday, tick tock

Latest posts