What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - In these weird times

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
NZ doing better than Aus at the moment but it’s really gonna depend if it’s already well into the community. Thankfully there aren’t hopefully going to be any cases in NZ like the 37 people getting infected at one wedding, or the 28+ infected people getting off the cruise ship which both happened here. I think they shut things down early enough... provided there hasn’t been a case involving a curfew breaker in a pub/bar over the last couple of days.

Rich102

Staff member
I don't know if you guys overseas know.
NZ has moved to a level 3 alert and will move to level 4 within 48 hours.
All non-essential businesses are being shut. All schools likewise.
All bars, restaurant and clubs are shut.
Takeaways are being shut.

For more https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't know if you guys overseas know.
NZ has moved to a level 3 alert and will move to level 4 within 48 hours.
All non-essential businesses are being shut. All schools likewise.
All bars, restaurant and clubs are shut.
Takeaways are being shut.

For more https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news

yep, it’s been reported in the news here. A fair bit of commentary about how much more decisive the NZ government is being than SFM and co. It’s moving that way here too but there’s a lot less clarity about the terms of it. The alert level system in NZ was a very good move.

aus is over 1300 cases now.

JJ

Immortal
I'm now disappointed with the Govt - the "Go Hard Go Early" sloganeering smacks of KiwiBuild, and is demonstrably not what is being done.

Only limited expertise here, but I would have hoped that confirmed cases were "quarantined" as opposed to being in "self-isolation" - as above, one thing we know is people are still not taking it seriously, and we're importing cases
yep, it’s been reported in the news here. A fair bit of commentary about how much more decisive the NZ government is being than SFM and co. It’s moving that way here too but there’s a lot less clarity about the terms of it. The alert level system in NZ was a very good move.

aus is over 1300 cases now.
Some heavyweight scientists - Gluckman, Baker, and others went public - TBH, I don't think the Govt wanted to...

Should have been quarantining earlier. Not before time, Gluckman was on the radio, saying in the next couple of weeks we'll know whether it was too late... Baker had been saying this should have been done a while back...

Hindsight will be 20:20, hopefully it's in time...

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm now disappointed with the Govt - the "Go Hard Go Early" sloganeering smacks of KiwiBuild, and is demonstrably not what is being done.

Only limited expertise here, but I would have hoped that confirmed cases were "quarantined" as opposed to being in "self-isolation" - as above, one thing we know is people are st

Some heavyweight scientists - Gluckman, Baker, and others went public - TBH, I don't think the Govt wanted to...

Should have been quarantining earlier. Not before time, Gluckman was on the radio, saying in the next couple of weeks we'll know whether it was too late... Baker had been saying this should have been done a while back...

Hindsight will be 20:20, hopefully it's in time...

yeah it’s easy in hindsight. But remember just a week ago when NZ put the 14 day isolation requirement in place and announced the stimulus measures, a LOT of people immediately squealed about the economy and accused them of overreacting.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The NRL’s efforts to keep the competition going are looking more and more like the Warriors efforts to beat Canberra. They’re trying hard but you know they don’t have a hope.

JJ

Immortal
yeah it’s easy in hindsight. But remember just a week ago when NZ put the 14 day isolation requirement in place and announced the stimulus measures, a LOT of people immediately squealed about the economy and accused them of overreacting.
Hindsight is great, one of my key strengths...

Only foresight I can claim is "Kearney will be a terrible coach"

The problem is the current policy.
2 weeks self isolation for positive test.
Now in my job fair enough, I come in contact with multiple vulnerable people daily.
But a power station worker?
The people maintaining the water pump systems? Whole crews will go down just waiting at home.
Isolate the vulnerable in those workplaces and healthy young carry on with a golden ticket to treatment if needed.

shiznit

Coach
The problem is the current policy.
2 weeks self isolation for positive test.
Now in my job fair enough, I come in contact with multiple vulnerable people daily.
But a power station worker?
The people maintaining the water pump systems? Whole crews will go down just waiting at home.
Isolate the vulnerable in those workplaces and healthy young carry on with a golden ticket to treatment if needed.
Essential services will continue.

I’m one of those services... and TBH the lockdown will make it safer for people in those positions to do their job without contracting the virus.

It’s all about using your common sense and not being an asshole about it.

we are all in this together and keep yourself and your Whanau safe while being mindful that others need to do the same with their Whanau.

too much greedy ness going on out there at the moment.

this is certainly unprecedented... but it is what it is and we just gotta deal with it together as best we can.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Disgraceful decision to let the Warehouse to continue to operate over the next 4 weeks, makes a mockery of the restrictions imo, no doubt a nice amount of money changed hands between the Warehouse group and jacindas mob to make the decision happen

shiznit

Coach
Disgraceful decision to let the Warehouse to continue to operate over the next 4 weeks, makes a mockery of the restrictions imo, no doubt a nice amount of money changed hands between the Warehouse group and jacindas mob to make the decision happen
Not really... it’s part of the supply chain.

at the moment we have a giant issue with demand.

the warehouse alleviates some of that.

things like rubbish bags, nappies, laundry stuff, toiletries which are being cleaned up in supermarket’s are available at the warehouse.

also essential things like blankets and clothing are available.

they shouldn’t be open like normal though... they should be restricting access to numbers for each store.

I know i won’t be going to the warehouse unless i absolutely need to.

Blair

Coach
Working in a supermarket I can report the worst experience is the deliberate 'open coughing'.

I've had three lately. Number one, this man in his sixties, walked past the registers, dropped in a big, exaggerated cough, then shot me a smugly aggressive, 'what are you going to do about it?' look.

Two, this silly old man, with his wife. She mentioned the virus and was giggling and he thought it was funny to mimic being ill with it. This involved open coughing, right over me.

Three, the worst of all. This dad, about 27, had a toddler in his arms who was throwing a wobbly. I opened up another register for him but had to get up and unlock the gate so he could unload his stuff. As I reached down for the lock on the gate I gave him a subtle hand signal for him to stand back a bit, so his kid wouldn't be wailing right on top of me.

He then threw his own wobbly, obviously offended by my safety-first approach, and proceeded to call me 'pathetic', and followed-up with another big, exaggerated coughing fit.

He then ranted about the 'conspiracy'. Apparently, the Government has had a vaccine for ages, but won't release it'.

Out on the street, a friend was deliberately coughed over by a fat, 23 year old on St Patrick's Day. He'd just got back from the pub, she was out using the shopping centre's hand sanitizer whilst on a walk, he made a joke of it, and let rip.

For balance, here's a couple of examples of women behaving badly too. One, an older woman, asking me something silly when we're extremely busy, I step back to get some space before answering her, she jabs me with her phone and says 'hey! I'm talking to you!'

Two, yesterday, this old bag was asking for the tenth time in a minute when the toilet rolls were coming in (she knows the answer) I was at the register, she then came within a foot of my face with an aggressive, 'Helloooooo! Hellooooo! Is there anybody there???!!!!!'

She thought it was funny, as she was playing up with some other older women in line. They didn't quite look amused.

Fun times. This sure aint bringing out the best in a lot of people.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Not really... it’s part of the supply chain.

at the moment we have a giant issue with demand.

the warehouse alleviates some of that.

things like rubbish bags, nappies, laundry stuff, toiletries which are being cleaned up in supermarket’s are available at the warehouse.

also essential things like blankets and clothing are available.

they shouldn’t be open like normal though... they should be restricting access to numbers for each store.

I know i won’t be going to the warehouse unless i absolutely need to.

It’s a domino effect though, allow it for the Warehouse then KMart get involved, other businesses behind them then come in and say hang on, we cater to that market too, and now you have numerous outlets for people to visit during lockdown , which defeats the purpose of the whole process

Personally my job is waiting to hear if our major customer gets an exemption as well which would then open the floodgates for many more stores in that industry too

Blair

Coach
To lighten the mood:

free-hugs.jpg

Source: Artist Dan Perjovschi (https://www.calvertjournal.com/articles/show/11700/dan-perjovschi-doodles-covid-19-changed-lives).