What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

TheVelourFog

First Grade
They had their players and support staff prepared to leave for Queensland or wherever but thats out the window now with Qld closing its borders.

But having not already done it under what conditions were they going to enact that? if the advice was to stop is was going to be a full stop

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You"ve been listening to News Ltd journos again. Shit management? Dave Smith was a very good manager he guided the NRL through the drugs scandal perfectly, look at the mess the AFL made of it. He knew streaming was the future of sport broadcasting which it is. He was so good and threatening to News Ltd and the dysfunctional clubs that they drove him out of the game.

Damn, Imagine if DSmith was still incharge now.

The clubs suddenly arent so powerful and are going begging for funds. I would love to see what he made of the competition now that the clubs couldnt stop him

TheVelourFog

First Grade
how am i being a hypocrite you weirdo plonk
I'm under the same social isolation rules as everyone else in the country
i got some beer delivered tonight and instead of tackling the driver i waited until he put the carton on the ground and retreated to his car before i picked it up

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
how am i being a hypocrite you weirdo plonk
I'm under the same social isolation rules as everyone else in the country
i got some beer delivered tonight and instead of tackling the driver i waited until he put the carton on the ground and retreated to his car before i picked it up

It sounds like you’ve drunk it all already

Go take a bex had have a good lie down possum

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl and clubs will now stand down 90% of staff and players will have to take big pay cuts. Only way they get through this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys saying the game will have to borrow substantial amounts to see it through. I guess from news ltd as the banks aren’t likely to be lending them it? The Vlandys love in from the nrl360 team continues, apparently banks will lend us money as he is in charge lol

Last edited:

Cactus

Juniors
News Ltd has wanted its lions share of money from Rugby League for decades now and has taken the profits and even paid some of its ACTUAL worth in recent years.

Well blow me down but already, there are players putting up their hands to take this all off of Fox/News Ltd.

Vlandys saying the game will have to borrow substantial amounts to see it through. I guess from news ltd as the banks aren’t likely to be lending them it? The Vlandys love in from the nrl360 team continues, apparently banks will lend us money as he is in charge lol

I don’t know why you are so chirpy.

A Perth team in the NRL just went back 50 years!!

Which Sydney team will everyone support once this crisis kills off your Club?

By my reckoning you’ll have a choice out of Souffs, Roosters, Sharks & Parramatta.

Dogs Gone. No major sponsor & Leagues Club made a loss of 4million last year.

Dragons Gone. Major basket Case.

Tigers Gone. Basket Case.

Manly Gone. Penn won’t stump up the cash to keep the Club alive. (Cheap Skate)

Panthers Gone. 40 million dollars in the red with licenced clubs closed.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Which Sydney team will everyone support once this crisis kills off your Club?

By my reckoning you’ll have a choice out of Souffs, Roosters, Sharks & Parramatta.

Dogs Gone. No major sponsor & Leagues Club made a loss of 4million last year.

Dragons Gone. Major basket Case.

Tigers Gone. Basket Case.

Manly Gone. Penn won’t stump up the cash to keep the Club alive. (Cheap Skate)

Panthers Gone. 40 million dollars in the red with licenced clubs closed.

I don’t think any of those clubs, aside from mManly will go as they are asset rich.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Spot on.

Sydney is the oversaturated jumble it is today and the competition doesn't have a nationwide footprint *because* the competition's transition from suburban to nationwide/trans-Tasman was ad-hoc, ham-fisted, war-torn, and stunted by self-interested parties (and I'm pointing at News as much as the Sydney group of NRL clubs).

Building an independent, nationwide competition from scratch has a great deal of appeal to me as an unashamed expansionist - and if that can be used to get a footprint that leverages a great TV deal, then all the better. It means we can genuinely put away a solid "rainy day" fund for the NEXT global shock.

It is a perfect for a new Governing body to walk in and wash their hands of having to make tough decisions in Sydney, it will be clear which clubs are not able to restart and the decision will be made for them.

Latest posts