What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

The Rosco

Bench
The key word here is “appears”

ive seen the work he’s putting in and it’s clearly more than your aware of.

Perception is a wonderful thing. Driven by many agendas

Obviously not putting in more than Bennett is aware of.
OR . . . YOU think YOU are seeing more than Bennett.
Either way.
LOL@souffs

ATOWN2

Juniors
Man oh man the Tigers dodged a bullet. Latrell disrespecting the Tigers did them a massive favour.

I'm a Tigers fan and I'd take Latrell but not on the money he was asking for!

If Latrell doesn't pull his head out he's at risk of becoming the next Idris.

BadnMean

Juniors
I'm a Tigers fan and I'd take Latrell but not on the money he was asking for!

If Latrell doesn't pull his head out he's at risk of becoming the next Idris.

If Madge can keep Joey Leilua fit & interested you get 90% of what latrell can do + at a more consistent level imo. His 2019 was looking very, very good before his neck injury- he still had the swagger & strength but had tightened his discipline right up.

Spot On

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/la...-contract-saga-at-souths-20200413-p54jgg.html

By Adrian Proszenko
April 13, 2020 — 7.45pm

Latrell Mitchell looks set to be embroiled in a fresh contract saga as South Sydney prepare to make a call on his future before he gets another chance to prove his worth.

The soap opera that was Mitchell’s departure from the Roosters was the biggest story of the off-season, ending only when he signed a one-year, $600,000 deal with the Rabbitohs in January. The contract contains an option in the club’s favour for the 2021 season, which the Herald has been told is worth $800,000 and must be activated by April 30.

However, Souths are baulking at triggering the extension as a number of factors conspire against Mitchell remaining at Redfern on top dollar. The premiership-winning centre displayed indifferent form in his only two appearances for the ‘Pride of the League’, which cast doubt on his shift to fullback. He played for just 55 minutes in the opening-round win against Cronulla before being benched, and he got less than an hour at fullback in the loss to Brisbane before being shifted into the centres to give Alex Johnston another crack at the custodian role.

Coach Wayne Bennett hoped Mitchell’s form would improve as he gained match fitness, but the coronavirus outbreak has robbed him of a chance to prove he is worth ‘fullback money’. The 24-year-old’s extension must be triggered a month before the NRL’s mooted restart date of May 28 and it’s unlikely that will occur. In letting it lapse, the Rabbitohs can renegotiate an extension at a lower price, a favourable outcome given the salary cap could drop next year due to the COVID-19 crisis.

If Mitchell is fit and firing at fullback, he represents good value at $800,000 at pre-coranavirus market rates. However, that figure is considered ‘overs’ if he ends up reverting to the centres at a time when there is downward pressure on player wages.

Long-time South Sydney powerbroker Shane Richardson had publicly stated that Mitchell’s contract option would be activated, but his own departure has clouded the future of the former Blues and Kangaroos representative.

Another consideration for the Rabbitohs is the emergence of Joseph Suaalii. The talented teen isn’t able to play first grade until his 18th birthday in August, but he is generating the sort of hype Mitchell created when he was coming through the junior grades. The former Rabbitohs under-16s captain is a genuine No.1 who was recently approached by Wallabies coach Dave Rennie in a bid to lure him to the 15-man game.

However, Suaalii is keen to fulfil his undoubted potential in the NRL.

Mitchell conceded he struggled to deal with the media interest surrounding his last round of contract negotiations, which included the Wests Tigers pulling their offer from the table. His Roosters exit also appeared to rub some former teammates the wrong way, if his war of words with Cooper Cronk over a trip home to Taree is any indication. Souths teammate Damien Cook even feared the constant attention could force Mitchell out of the game.

The fresh uncertainty over Mitchell’s future comes at a time of huge upheaval at Souths. Richardson has left the club after reportedly receiving a payout, and Bennett has confirmed next season will be his last at the club. Bennett's deputy, Jason Demetriou, will take over from 2022 after signing a deal that could take him through until the end of 2024, if the club takes up its option for that season.

Spot On

Coach
An interesting situation now with the contract option in favour of Souths.

What would Bunnies fans like to see happen???

An interesting situation now with the contract option in favour of Souths.

What would Bunnies fans like to see happen???

Ideally, I'd like to see the best of Latrell playing for Souths. In the Souths forum earlier today I said no

However, considering the sometimes maligned Alex Johnston came on twice and made an instant impact is alarming. That said, in the Broncos game, once Latrell shifted to centre, he did look much better.

Soooo....if Latrell shifts to centre and can play good minutes and tear it up at his best, then I'm a hold. I'd like to give him a smidgen of benefit of the doubt. Latrell left centre, Johnston left winger...

simmo05

Bench
Ideally, I'd like to see the best of Latrell playing for Souths. In the Souths forum earlier today I said no

However, considering the sometimes maligned Alex Johnston came on twice and made an instant impact is alarming. That said, in the Broncos game, once Latrell shifted to centre, he did look much better.

Soooo....if Latrell shifts to centre and can play good minutes and tear it up at his best, then I'm a hold. I'd like to give him a smidgen of benefit of the doubt. Latrell left centre, Johnston left winger...
Would you keep him on the extra 200 grand a year??