What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

LINESPEED

Juniors
Mate life is going to change in a big , big way with this bluudy C-Virus so it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if the Gordon’s pulled up stumps and give the Dragons and game itself a miss until life comes back to what it once was .

Unfortunately the chances of Bennett or anyone ever coaching any team will diminish even further until this disgusting disease is gone .

Yeah there are many businesses about to go belly up as we lurch into the unknown.

You wonder what the Gordons’ profit margins are and just what the mainstays of the business are in terms of SGI
- and what their threshold for pulling the pin would be.

Waterboy’s impact alone on their profits would’ve been substantial I would think.

The disease is disgusting for sure - destroying the whole social & economic fabric, but especially since it stems from the Chinese illegal trade in wildlife, a trade that’s brought much of the world’s wildlife to the brink of extinction.

So it’s the revenge of the animals in many ways.

One positive is that the Chinese actually enacted legislation 3 weeks ago that has for the first time criminalised the trade. Whether they enforce it is anyone’s guess.

If any players contract it I reckon our season’s most likely over.

There were I think 40,000 confirmed flu cases & 4,000 deaths in Australia in 2019 - and nothing shut down for that, so you wonder how proportional our response is to CV

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If Flanno is ultimately going to be the man then why have a hiatus by putting Bennett in for a year?
Surely better to put Shepherd in for the year and then go straight to Flanno to ensure continuity of process.

Continuity of process didn’t work for Bennett/Price.

epDragon62

First Grade
Yeah there are many businesses about to go belly up as we lurch into the unknown.

You wonder what the Gordons’ profit margins are and just what the mainstays of the business are in terms of SGI
- and what their threshold for pulling the pin would be.

Waterboy’s impact alone on their profits would’ve been substantial I would think.

The disease is disgusting for sure - destroying the whole social & economic fabric, but especially since it stems from the Chinese illegal trade in wildlife, a trade that’s brought much of the world’s wildlife to the brink of extinction.

So it’s the revenge of the animals in many ways.

One positive is that the Chinese actually enacted legislation 3 weeks ago that has for the first time criminalised the trade. Whether they enforce it is anyone’s guess.

If any players contract it I reckon our season’s most likely over.

There were I think 40,000 confirmed flu cases & 4,000 deaths in Australia in 2019 - and nothing shut down for that, so you wonder how proportional our response is to CV
I think your figures are out by a factor of ten; the mortality rate for the common flu is 0.1%.

Perhaps the cases was 400k?

Dragonsamy

Bench
Not sure about this.
He’s obviously in discussions when talking about the greatest coach in history but at his age we may only get a year out of him. What if he was to come back, clear the decks & bring in the new then his health deteriorates(not that I want it to)then we’re back to square one.
Maybe a long term coach is probably what we need.
Anyway good to finally see the press starting to say what us fans have been saying for years now.

If he was to come back and he was to keep Flanagan as assistant coach then maybe Flanagan could take over in the future. That's if Bennett it was willing to have flanno there.

Last edited:

Bench
Say the league is cancelled for the year, how does it affect players on a three year contract, do they count this written off season, if they receive payment from the NRL or the clubs.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Say the league is cancelled for the year, how does it affect players on a three year contract, do they count this written off season, if they receive payment from the NRL or the clubs.

I would think as long as they were payed it would work like that.
But not sure

Dragonsamy

Bench
We could get Tedesco and he still would be restricted with the way we play unless we change our style of play and the Halves actually fire (especially with a kicking game) our back linewill forever look bad

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
the adjustments

my backrow depth for 2021 and beyond - Fui, TSims, Ford, Lawire and Host

Drop McGregor and bring in fresh head coach skills and management

Free up our cap for next year approx $3 mill plus

JDB - $550k pa?
Lafai - $350k pa?
Aitken - $300k pa ?
Graham - $400k plus ?
Friz - $700k i like our backrow depth and we can use the money smarter
Hunt - $500k plus do a deal with another club or OS where we pay half. then use the other $450k for the best emerging and have Clune fill in this year and find out what he is like in FG. if hunt went OS we maybe only have to tip in $150k pa max next few years

Norman? for me is ok and nothing special

Lomax to right centre for now and let him own it and fight it out with the juniors coming thru
FB we need a new one 2021 Ramsey? plus go all out for Stephen Chricton ? panther young gun
Prop we need quality / leave kerr on the bench
Halfback - Clune with our youth and or get another emerging half that is sitting behind a gun at another club

getsmarty

Immortal
the adjustments

my backrow depth for 2021 and beyond - Fui, TSims, Ford, Lawire and Host

Drop McGregor and bring in fresh head coach skills and management

Free up our cap for next year approx $3 mill plus

JDB - $550k pa?
Lafai - $350k pa?
Aitken - $300k pa ?
Graham - $400k plus ?
Friz - $700k i like our backrow depth and we can use the money smarter
Hunt - $500k plus do a deal with another club or OS where we pay half. then use the other $450k for the best emerging and have Clune fill in this year and find out what he is like in FG. if hunt went OS we maybe only have to tip in $150k pa max next few years

Norman? for me is ok and nothing special

Lomax to right centre for now and let him own it and fight it out with the juniors coming thru
FB we need a new one 2021 Ramsey? plus go all out for Stephen Chricton ? panther young gun
Prop we need quality / leave kerr on the bench
Halfback - Clune with our youth and or get another emerging half that is sitting behind a gun at another club

I'd be letting Norman go.... Hunt and Clune in the halves.

northernsaint

Juniors
I'd be letting Norman go....
I agree, let Norman go. BUT WHY bother keeping Hunt as he in not much better. Our halfs would be near or close to the worst pair in the comp. Benji at 35 showed them up big time even without Brooks to assist.They showed Little or no improvement in the second game.

Bench
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/teams/telstra-premiership/penrith-panthers/stephen-crichton/

if we are going to spend $550k plus pa on a player like Suli.......should we go for the very best of young emerging talent?

this kid could be literally anything in any spot in the backline
I don’t think that there will be any player movement for quite a while
There is even talk that a few clubs might not come back, Titans, Cronulla to name just two
We might be looking at a new structure when the virus is over

Dragonsamy

Bench
I would think there will a team which will include the old St George area, sharks area and the Illawarra area that would make sense.
And they most probably would play out of what is called Shark Park unfortunately as well as the gong.
All of this is just my opinion

Dragon David

First Grade
I would think there will a team which will include the old St George area, sharks area and the Illawarra area that would make sense.
And they most probably would play out of what is called Shark Park unfortunately as well as the gong.
All of this is just my opinion
A very strong possibility Dragonsamy. To me it would make sense. The name of the team might be of concern though as I would like the Dragons name in it and the die hard Sharks supporters will want the Sharks name I suppose!

Dragonsamy

Bench
A very strong possibility Dragonsamy. To me it would make sense. The name of the team might be of concern though as I would like the Dragons name in it and the die hard Sharks supporters will want the Sharks name I suppose!

Agree
David I would like the name to be something like this.
"The Southern Coast Dragons.
Because dragons is a better known brand name than sharks