What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour NRL channel

AJB1102

First Grade
Leading in to round 1 and these merkins on 360 have spent more time speculating whether Todd Greenburg keeps his job or not, than about any actual footy.

This will keep the fans tuned in.

How long has that shit been running now? Surely long enough for you to know the crap you'll get.

Flick it off mate. Maybe if enough do they'll get axed. Fox is looking for cuts, I nominate Kent & Buzz.

no name

Coach
How long has that shit been running now? Surely long enough for you to know the crap you'll get.

Flick it off mate. Maybe if enough do they'll get axed. Fox is looking for cuts, I nominate Kent & Buzz.
I got a bit excited about the season starting again.
It will probably be the only time I watch.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Leading in to round 1 and these merkins on 360 have spent more time speculating whether Todd Greenburg keeps his job or not, than about any actual footy.

This will keep the fans tuned in.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is a show about RL, its a gossip program for middle aged men.

Usain Bolt

Bench
What a shit show Controversy Corner was, cant understand 80% of it because they’re all shouting over each other and the other 20% is Buzz asking them to repeat the question because he’s a deaf merkin

mozza91

Coach
I got a bit excited about the season starting again.
It will probably be the only time I watch.
Yeah I was too. I tuned out after I saw Rothfield and Hooper.

Matty Johns was really good though. He actually talked about the game. A subject that Kent, Rothfield and especially Hooper would struggle with.

Headless Chook

Juniors
I see that Paul Merkin bloke is still on the Japanese flags. I thought he might have mellowed a bit in the off season and been a bit more positive to open the season show with. But noooo.

I have a bad feeling about Rothfield too. Unfortunately I think he is the Keith Richards of the NRL media.

Perth Tiger

Bench
lasted 5 minutes and then thought why am I listening to these miserable pricks do everything to bad mouth the game. wont bothered again until another month or so with probably the same result.

The Marshall

Juniors
Wonder what is going to happen on Fox League while the comp is suspended? Will it just go straight into off season mode? I can't see there being any other option.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Well...NRL360 ended last night. Hmmm...
I like the new morning & afternoon shows, think if/when they show some old games it'll be better. Surely that will happen over the weekend? You'd think the regular shows 'disappearing' is a combination of costs, suspended season & the Coronavirus policy for people in general.

Someone who works at another tv station told me shows are being put on hold left, right & center due to most staff working from home or going on leave due to the restrictions. The whole economy & work force will be vastly different whenever we return to some sort of normal way of life.

Headless Chook

Juniors
I’ve no idea what coin the Fox presenters, commentators and “journos” are on but I’d say they’d be on pretty good money compared to the average Joe. To my eyes and ears it’s like they are clearly making hay while the sun shines for every single last minute before they are put into hibernation. Some of them could stay there, permanently.

undertaker

Coach
I’ve no idea what coin the Fox presenters, commentators and “journos” are on but I’d say they’d be on pretty good money compared to the average Joe. To my eyes and ears it’s like they are clearly making hay while the sun shines for every single last minute before they are put into hibernation. Some of them could stay there, permanently.

People like Matty Johns are easily on well into the mid 6 figure salary range.

And notice how several of the Fox League team had some connection with him, whether it was when he was previously at Ch9, or Triple M, Telegraph etc. As they say, it's not what you know; it's who you know

Fox cutting costs asap. We now have a daily show on in a morning and evening.

And now you're stuck with segments such as this:

Well...NRL360 ended last night. Hmmm...

Seriously, if the NRL lockdown goes on for months, Fox League (as well as Foxtel in general, since NRL fans comprise a large portion of Foxtel's overall subscriber base) is well and truly screwed....

there's only so much the Fox League presenters will be able to crap on about before the whole team and conversation becomes obsolete, and even the most diehard RL fans will eventually switch off whilst the profile League "personalities" such as Slothfield/Kent/Hooper etc. fade into insignificance and irrelevance (they think they're somebody when they are nobodies trying to get attention off the back of people who are already getting attention, that is the players who are the stars of the show). Not to mention, the majority of the presenters have the personality of a brick wall, or have close to zero media presenting skills, which comes across with the constantly stuttering, ummmming and ahhhing ad nauseum. It's a very boganish (a.k.a. pub talk) look that reflects poorly on the public image of the game.

Their programs simply serve no purpose nor context at all without any matches being played. It's a completely different scenario is this were the off-season (October-February), where filler content is used while the cricket season takes centre stage in Australia during that time of the year, and the league wouldn't be haemorrhaging hundreds of millions of dollars as the NRL season would've been completed (like the recent 2019/20 cricket season which pretty much finished just before COVID-19 cases started increasing exponentially. Only the final round of the Sheffield Shield, the Sheffield Shield final and 2 ODls of a useless New Zealand tour of Australia were canned, that would've been played in front of no more than 15-25% full stadiums maximum during the NRL season without the COVID-19 crisis. So, no major loss at all to Cricket Australia with those matches being scrapped).

However, with no other sporting comps taking place in the country and it's during their NRL footy season, I just don't see how Fox League can justify continuing to produce hours of "live discussion programs" over the next few months. There's only so many stories ex-players can tell and reminisce about from the good old days, so many jokes and stupid pranks they can share etc.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sadly they have little creativity. They could have a nightly feature where they have interviews with legends of the game leading into a classic match they played in. 30mins or so of chat about the players memories of the game and lead up then the classic game. End of day we only need around 2-3hrs of something decent each night.
Just watched one of my clubs old games 1986 cc rd 1. Vision was terrible but game was brilliant to watch and brought back lots of memories.
Free to watch if you’ve got time to kill
https://www.hullkr.co.uk/hull-kr-tv/?play=53262

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Agreed, why not play old games, they have the whole NRL library to pick from. They could even mix it up and show old English games like that CC game you mentioned.

But instead we'll get Matty Johns over and over.

Latest posts