What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The road ahead - Great expectations

Father Ted

First Grade
yep taking the piss

how would i know what they can demand or not re $
got to start somehwere
can you pop your player manager hat on for me RedV13 and lend a hand
im stranded at sea obviously

i was trying to stay focussed on giving us the highest probability of success

I think we need a clear out of average performing players and an increase of high performing players

Murray and Knight and Panthers Chricton and Suli for me are an important blend of impact and 80min grinding players week in week out
I think you start at the front office and everything else will follow.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/23/rejuvenated-dufty-glad-he-chose-not-to-pack-bags/

did anyone else find this fascinating to read

there appears a real disconnect with the players and how we are loosing games

What our guys dont seem to understand is that letting another team with a very good kicking game into your 20m is inviting so much trouble.

have a look at the comments by Norman in particular

The panthers made sure they took a higher risk by playing the short side footy first 20mins to increase extra metres on several sets in the first 20mins

Some of there marches down the field gave the Panthers massive metre gains

they targeted our right side defence in particular and isolated Lomax and Dufty a couple times with shorter bombs.......very clever

This higher risk short side footy caught us napping and we let the Panthers into our area to have good kicking positions.

A team like the panthers with their hooker and halfback will catch you out big team with short kicking and isolating one on one situations

We need to get our defence way better in the middle of the field and in the opposition half so we are not back on our try line

Dragonsamy

Bench
It’s interesting how we all put our theories in as to whom to buy and which players need to be let go.
I’d almost bet my left testicle that if we had a head Coach that could actually improve players both on and off the field that I would be happy to keep 90% of our roster.
The current players are all going to underperform whilst our Coaching structure stays as is. We make that positive change in head coach and you watch the improvements in class and attitude that will follow from the playing group.

Nailed it

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
So for me we need to provide ourselves with the greatest probability of getting back in the top4 in 2021
That means a big turnover of players and head coach

We have added some very good low cost value players for 2020/21 and some seriously exciting juniors for 2/3/4 year contracts but we need more quality ASAP

Value players:
Brittain - very good depth player who looks comfortable in FG
Luke - smart for this season while McInnes injured
Tyrell - great impact player and appeared solid in rd2 for a lengthy game and started
Williame - very exciting player for us at left centre
Clune arguably appears to be in the mix also
Ford - I think will still be important as he is emerging and a lighter faster built backrower
Host - Im liking what i see in his development after injuries and for me is on a Matt Prior type trajectory
Kerr - might demand a little more come next contract and hope we keep him

Exciting emerging players that could be part of our top 20 or so players in 2021:
Feagai 1
Feagai 2
Saab
Ramsey
Sullivan

Move on players: guess at current contract value that is ready to use $3.7mill
Aitken $300k pa?
JDB $550k pa?
Graham $400k pa?
Friz $550k pa?
Lafai $350k pa?
Dufty $350k pa?
Hunt $900k pa (we may get $600k plus if he moves OS ie we may have to continue with $300k pa?)
Norman $800k pa we may get $600k plus also if he moves OS (his $900k pa was blown out of proportion)

Hunt and Norman could get picked up by a warriors or Gold coast ? From what i have seen of Clune he aint going to do any worse then Hunt and he looks like he could move our team around very well. He is keen and ready. Sullivan not sure........Lomax maybe able to play 5/8 ?

2021 and beyond SQUAD wishlist: Knight $750k, Murray$550k, Suli $550k and Chricton $650k = $2.5m plus probably a very exciting emerging half as we will have close to a $1mill still available

Vaughan, McInnes, Knight?
Tyrell, Sims
Murray Cam?

Clune and Lomax / Sullivan - will probably need another 21/22yr old emerging exciting half in the wings?

Williame, Rava (Left)
Suli?, Saab (Right)
Chricton?

Bench: Kerr, Korbin, Merrin, Billy

18.Ford
19.Host
20.Lawrie
21.Blacker
22.Pereira
23.Faegai
24.Faegai
25.SSE
26.Ramsey
27.Sailor
28.?
29.?
30.?

You’re kidding yourself if you believe McGregor will be moved on. Forget all hypothesis, the biggest concern is whether SGI will remain in existence in its current form.

I have severe doubts.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Why? Sensationalism right there

You are aware that one of the main reasons McGregor has retained his job is because the Club cannot afford to payout his contract?

Now with this Coron virus thing, I seriously question just how much Bruce Gordon will want to stay involved especially when it’s a well known fact that rugby league clubs don’t make a quid for investors.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
The coronavirus syndrome and it's effects on human life has no doubt brought about massive changes in all forms of day to day living. The disease has created havoc and so much uncertainty for the people of the world. Not only causing illness and death but has led Nations to make massive decisions to close up and lock up businesses, impacting on social activities where the square metre space rule is in force, instituting the need to self isolate people and all this bringing about enormous financial strains and burdens the like of which is horrendous worldwide.

The problem is so complex and the worst that mankind in this day and age is experiencing. Yes, there have been other pandemics and there have been world wars, general wars, natural disasters etc however, what we are experiencing is something well and truly out of our control and we do not know when it will end.

Indeed, we are now seeing the affects this has had so far on our game of rugby league and all other sports. The financial losses that the NRL and the clubs are going to incur will be massive to say the least and both the NRL CEO and ARL Commissioner made the right decision to suspend further games being played even though they deep down wanted the games to continue because they knew how costly things would be without play continuing.

It might be questionable if in fact the games will resume this year. Hopefully the NRL will resume (when the world is free of the virus), however, a lot of decisions will need to be made such as how many magic rounds should be played, who plays who and the list goes on. No doubt next year and the years ahead we will see lots of changes come into play. Most will involve cost cutting and streamlining.

It is going to be very interesting to see what eventuates.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Its a fascinating period to be in

I thought Split Enz said "history never repeats" ??

Decline of the Colosseum - Failing Roman Economy

At the height of its popularity the cost of the gladiatorial games at the Colosseum came to one third of the total income of the Roman Empire. The emperors who followed Honorius at first commissioned repairs to the Colosseum (after the earthquake) but as its political importance declined, together with the wealth of the Roman Empire, so did the enthusiasm for spending money on repairs. Constant warfare required heavy military spending. The Roman government was constantly threatened by bankruptcy and the emperors spent money on wars.

LINK: http://www.tribunesandtriumphs.org/colosseum/decline-of-the-colosseum.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

possm

Coach
You are aware that one of the main reasons McGregor has retained his job is because the Club cannot afford to payout his contract?

Now with this Coron virus thing, I seriously question just how much Bruce Gordon will want to stay involved especially when it’s a well known fact that rugby league cubs don’t make a quid for investors.
WIN Corp and St George Leagues club, who are the owners of SGI have pleanty of cash that they can lay their hands on. The problem is not money, the problem revolves around club politics and until this is drained from the system, SGI will never climb out of this mess.

The fact that SGI hired Flanagan who is banned from being appointed as a head coach until 2022 says it all. It seems to me that the Board will allow Mary to continue in the role unless pressure from fans, supporters, members and the media becomes so great that they have to terminate his appointment. And who is standing in the shadows waiting to be slotted into the head coach role, non-other than Dean Young - son of Craig Young Director of the Board and prominant power broker within the Club.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
WIN Corp and St George Leagues club, who are the owners of SGI have pleanty of cash that they can lay their hands on. The problem is not money, the problem revolves around club politics and until this is drained from the system, SGI will never climb out of this mess.

The fact that SGI hired Flanagan who is banned from being appointed as a head coach until 2022 says it all. It seems to me that the Board will allow Mary to continue in the role unless pressure from fans, supporters, members and the media becomes so great that they have to terminate his appointment. And who is standing in the shadows waiting to be slotted into the head coach role, non-other than Dean Young - son of Craig Young Director of the Board and prominant power broker within the Club.

Is this “Craig Young” the same bloke who (allegedly) applied for the club’s CEO position, and was bypassed by a bloke who unremarkably ran the Wests Tigers for a few years?

If so, he doesn’t sound much of a prominent power broker to me.

Personally, I feel that Matt Head has more of a chance of being an interim head coach than Dean Young.

Como Connection

First Grade
Is this “Craig Young” the same bloke who (allegedly) applied for the club’s CEO position, and was bypassed by a bloke who unremarkably ran the Wests Tigers for a few years?

If so, he doesn’t sound much of a prominent power broker to me.

Personally, I feel that Matt Head has more of a chance of being an interim head coach than Dean Young.
Albert never applied as he never wanted the job.
CC

LINESPEED

Juniors

Hey Andrew
Funny how a lot of Lowe’s comments have a bearing on your plaything our team.

Especially how it’s become a corrupted Old Boys’ junket:

"We can all see it now, there's been a greed that's infected the game, a greed from players, from coaches, from player agents and clubs," Lowe told AAP.

For example, coaches have got to be totally de-powered. They're not the oracles they think they are on the game." (most certainly with your Waterboy)

"Most clubs would agree, they could run on a fraction of their staff for a start. You've got assistant coaches for the assistants."
( especially pertinent to us Andrew?)

Rugby league great Graham Lowe says the coronavirus pandemic has unmasked a greed that has infiltrated the NRL and believes a fundamental re-set should take place.

"The game was embarrassed about itself because they felt there were too many blokes with broken noses and cauliflower ears in positions of control.

( hmm ... hope Albert’s not glassjawed too)

Der

Crush

Coach
I’m keen to know what peoples expectations are for this year.
Surely we play finals or is a fail?
We got rid of Mary to improve but under Hook I dare say we’ve gone backwards? If you are looking purely at win loss ratio that is.
I notice some posters calling for patience again, it’ll take time, new combinations etc. Why?
Doesn’t seem to be taking Sharks too much time with their new combinations?

My expectations, make the top 8 or sack the coach at seasons end and not waste anymore time on rubbish, second rate reject coaches and players.

Dragon David

First Grade
I’m keen to know what peoples expectations are for this year.
Surely we play finals or is a fail?
We got rid of Mary to improve but under Hook I dare say we’ve gone backwards? If you are looking purely at win loss ratio that is.
I notice some posters calling for patience again, it’ll take time, new combinations etc. Why?
Doesn’t seem to be taking Sharks too much time with their new combinations?

My expectations, make the top 8 or sack the coach at seasons end and not waste anymore time on rubbish, second rate reject coaches and players.
My expectations are an overall improvement on all skill levels and not being wooden spooners.

I'm not expecting much more than that.