What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survival of the NRL and NRL Clubs

Gronk

Staff member
If you watch the numerous NRL shows on Fox, they seem to be talking frequently about the rationalisation of the game and specifically the number of clubs.

Hooper and Kent said that a comp of 12 is a common number in discussions.

Which 4 teams will die without assistance?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
All 16 clubs have woken to a new reality on Tuesday, with no football in the foreseeable future and a significant hit to their bottom line.

Several clubs made moves to stand down staff or place them on annual leave on Monday night, with no-one safe as the clubs searched for ways to save money.

The impact of the coronavirus on clubs who have previously walked the financial tightrope in the past could be dire.

And Gould, who most recently filled a role as general manager at Penrith, admitted he feared for several clubs' futures.

“I can't see every club surviving,” Gould told Nine's 100% Footy.

“If this competition doesn't get back on the field this year, and there is no broadcast income coming into the game, I don't know how clubs are going to survive.

“Unless the criteria is so small next year to come into the competition, that they somehow find themselves in it.

“It depends what the funding arrangements are going forward. What the competition and salary cap looks like going forward.”

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-202...survive-coronavirus-suspension-202114429.html

Gronk

Staff member
so is Kent considered to be a financial analyst ?
It was on the back of Shane Richardson's skype rant that the very clubs that would not lift a finger for souths when they got punted, are seeking additional assistance.

Message from Souths: f**k their eyes.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If you watch the numerous NRL shows on Fox, they seem to be talking frequently about the rationalisation of the game and specifically the number of clubs.

They were both pushing hard for the 12 teams things, f**king vampires. It’s a worry when a plonker like Creepy Crawley was the voice of reason. How is losing 4 teams good for the game or going to grow it???

Especially if one of those teams is from another country??? Short sighted wankers.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It was on the back of Shane Richardson's skype rant that the very clubs that would not lift a finger for souths when they got punted, are seeking additional assistance.

Message from Souths: f**k their eyes.
Richo was spot on about the clubs being greedy and the Administration being too weak to say no to them. We can thank that bald muppet John Grant for were we are at now. He threw 13 million at the clubs a year just to give himself another 12 months as chairman. Thank goodness we finally have some leadership with V’Landy’s.

hindy111

Post Whore

If Geogrpahically speaking....

You have a Penrith, Parra, Campbeltown,Nth Beaches,Sydney city, based side. And the Bulldogs are important also.
I reckon you do not need South side and Roosters at same do not need Sharks and Dragons. They are all to close by.
Titans also has not worked.

Angry_eel

First Grade
“I can't see every club surviving,” Gould told Nine's 100% Footy.

After this, I will forever hate Phil Gould. He influenced the NRL to give more money to the clubs instead of investing the money for a rainy day and now he wants to kill clubs.

Dinosaurs like these get more money while the fans who've put in their hard earned into the clubs may have to say good bye to their clubs.

No matter which Sydney clubs goes, you have to feel sorry for the bloke(or woman) whose Winter meant watching footy at the ground or on tv.

Gronk

Staff member
If Geogrpahically speaking....

You have a Penrith, Parra, Campbeltown,Nth Beaches,Sydney city, based side. And the Bulldogs are important also.
I reckon you do not need South side and Roosters at same do not need Sharks and Dragons. They are all to close by.
Titans also has not worked.

Well I can hardly see the NRL propping up any one team and not another (like those birds who select the fittest chick to feed and starve the runt), so attrition be will based on their ability to weather the financial storm, rather than their location.

emjaycee

Coach
Well I can hardly see the NRL propping up any one team and not another (like those birds who select the fittest chick to feed and starve the runt), so attrition be will based on their ability to weather the financial storm, rather than their location.
You are assuming natural attrition of no more than the desired number of clubs, not forced attrition by the governing body.

What if more than 4 clubs cannot financially survive and the NRL needs to choose who to prop up because they want a 12 team comp? Location will have to play a part in that.

Gronk

Staff member
You are assuming natural attrition of no more than the desired number of clubs, not forced attrition by the governing body.

What if more than 4 clubs cannot financially survive and the NRL needs to choose who to prop up because they want a 12 team comp? Location will have to play a part in that.

Well each club has a perpetual licence agreement do they not ? John Grant gave them such a deal when they signed off on the $13m grant. I guess the devil is in the detail.