What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - In these weird times

shiznit

Coach
Opps let me spell that out for you"

NATIONAL STATE OF EMERGENCY IN NEW ZEALAND
Not really a big deal TBH...

They usually call it because it opens up extra funding to be used across the board.

it allows them extra powers with traffic, crowd and resource control.

it happens in regions from time to time... We had one in Southland like 2 months ago we were paying Civil Defence payments for.

there was always a high likelihood they were going to call a state of emergency once we went to level 4 as they wanted to make use of the ministry of defence resources.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Not really a big deal TBH...

They usually call it because it opens up extra funding to be used across the board.

it allows them extra powers with traffic, crowd and resource control.

it happens in regions from time to time... We had one in Southland like 2 months ago we were paying Civil Defence payments for.

Yes, but calm and rational communication doesn't get attention. Melodrama must be raised to 9 minimum.

Blair

Coach
Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told reporters that six people are in hospital in a stable condition, one in Rotorua, one in Waikato and three in Wellington.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12319699

Gee, I hope the people dealing with this have a better knowledge of arithmetic than shown above.

There's quite a bit of humour going around, which helps. Your post is an example of that. Good, constructive humour though.

Not like that young guy in the US who filmed himself licking a line of products on the supermarket shelf!

Meth

Staff member
National State of Emergency was always going to be called to coincide with going up to level 4

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm a huge Nick Cave fan, and for the last couple of years hes had a website up where fans can ask him anything and he posts the repliies for everyone to read. He's an incredible writer and all round insightful human being and I always enjoy reading his replies. Somebody recently posted the simple but relevant question "What do we do now?" and I thought his answer was worth sharing:

Nick Cave said:
The Red Hand Files has always been a space in which I could offer dubious existential notions, religious meditations, unsound advice, millennial senilities and general annoyances, while hopefully simultaneously extending a little human kindness and compassion. However, these sorts of ruminations came from a more privileged and fortunate time, when we had the oxygen to muse and to play. Things have changed, we are faced with a common enemy — impartial, unfeeling and of immeasurable magnitude — and it is no longer a time for abstractions. Now is the time to be cautious with our words, our opinions.

A friend called our new world ‘a ghost ship’ — and maybe she is right. She has recently lost someone dear to her and recognises acutely the premonitory feeling of a world about to be shattered — and that we will need to put ourselves back together again, not only personally, but societally. In time we will be given the opportunity to either contract around the old version of ourselves and our world — insular, self-interested and tribalistic — or understand the connectedness and commonality of all humans, everywhere. In isolation, we will be presented with our essence — of what we are personally and what we are as a society. We will be asked to decide what we want to preserve about our world and ourselves, and what we want to discard.

Eventually these questions will become of acute significance, but they are not for now. Now is a time to listen to those in more informed positions and to follow instructions, as difficult as that may be, as we step into the unprecedented unknowable. We should be careful about the noises we make — especially those with a public voice — and should not pretend to know what we do not. From within the clamour and tonnage of information and misinformation, of opinions and counter-opinions, of blame-games and grim prophecy and the most panic-inducing version of ‘Imagine’ ever recorded, emerges a simple message — wash your hands and (if you can) stay at home.

Love, Nick

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/what-do-we-do-now/

Matua

Bench
Is it correct that shopping malls in Australia are still open?
Yes.

Australia isn't really on a lockdown yet. Considering the govt buckled to the hairdresser lobby I'm wondering if a lockdown will even happen.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yes.

Australia isn't really on a lockdown yet. Considering the govt buckled to the hairdresser lobby I'm wondering if a lockdown will even happen.

seriously half hour haircuts are classed as an essential service, what a joke.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Having extra time to spend on hobbies isn’t all bad at least. I just finished restoring this old beauty, a vintage Pioneer Hi-Fi receiver from around 1976. Replaced the transistors in one channel that had blown, all new uprated capacitors, LED lighting and new solid rimu side panels made by a mate in Wellington. Sound as good as it looks!
8B550910-51BB-4C35-8DF2-90BC0F179706.jpeg

This may be of interest to some of you.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

And if Iron is watching the death toll worldwide is 20,807 / 458,927 = .045% (At this time).

Australia is 11/2799 with these stats from 3pm
Which is 0.39%

https://www.health.gov.au/news/heal...s-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers

We have had 2 deaths since, but will also have more cases.

Suicide in Australia 2015 (last records apparently which is terrible record keeping) 3027

https://www.lifeline.org.au/about-lifeline/lifeline-information/statistics-on-suicide-in-australia

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Hi All, I'm in financial administration for a very large construction company, we cover the whole gambit from major infrastructure projects to transport and subdivisions and landscaping etc, some of our work like highway maintenance is considered an essential service and carries on as normal. I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home, at least for the first few weeks of this lockdown, my work continues as per normal at the moment, once we are out of this, our infrastructure projects will continue as normal and more will be ramped up to get the country moving again. Stay safe and take care everyone.

Just saw some UK stats.
Predicted 20 000 deaths with Corona virus with social distancing and isolating the vulnerable.
From their first 386 deaths 98% had an underlying conditions, mostly elderly oldest 105.
600 000 people die in UK every year.
Around half to 2/3rds of the 20 000 Corona virus would have died this year of something. So around 6667-10 000 excess deaths.
Seasonal flu causes 8000 excess deaths.

Economic shut down has costs.
After the 2008 Global Financial Crisis (GFC) unemployment increased to 212m (not sure what from), increasing an additional 260 000 cancer deaths and 10 000 suicides (source:international labour groups, the Lancet and BJP).

What I didn't like about the report is it didn't state the time span for the additional cancer and suicides eg per year for years since the GFC.

Anyway wash your hands, stay home if you can and keep your distance if you can't.

Latest posts