What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Walpole

Juniors
This is an extreme scenario and highly unlikely but imagine if in some bizarre twist of fate the NRL collapsed and Rugby Yawnion survived and the Super Rugby clubs all picked the absolute cream of the crop from the NRL like Payne Haas, Tommy T, Tedesco, Damien Cook etc how good would the Wallabies become.
Probably more likely union folds and we get the pick of the Wallabies players like...uhm, that bloke...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Probably more likely union folds and we get the pick of the Wallabies players like...uhm, that bloke...
Yeah of course without a doubt. Not many of them would make it. Maybe Tom Banks could go alright. Michael Hooper would make a good lock. Kurtley Beale wouldn’t go too bad but most of the wouldn’t cut it. I’d say it’s more likely they will just all play in France.

S.T.G

Bench
I’ve got a conspiracy theory on the Coronavirus
I’m still working on trying to prove it
Then I will contact Danny Weedler
To break the story.

please don’t tell any one until I prove it.

The Coronavirus was started
By
Mary our supercoach

merahputih

Juniors
I’ve got a conspiracy theory on the Coronavirus
I’m still working on trying to prove it
Then I will contact Danny Weedler
To break the story.

please don’t tell any one until I prove it.

The Coronavirus was started
By
Mary our supercoach
So he could say we were only 6 months away from being premiers.

giboz71

First Grade

Union have had a lot of corporate sponsorship for many years so due to the links to old boys from private schools etc.

I’m guessing they have a bit more money in the bank to ride this out and haven’t had the rampant spending that NRL clubs have done for years.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Union have had a lot of corporate sponsorship for many years so due to the links to old boys from private schools etc.

I’m guessing they have a bit more money in the bank to ride this out and haven’t had the rampant spending that NRL clubs have done for years.
I much prefer league than union but there has always been a part of that wondered out of curiosity how good the Wallabies would be if they had the very best league talent playing for them.

giboz71

First Grade
I much prefer league than union but there has always been a part of that wondered out of curiosity how good the Wallabies would be if they had the very best league talent playing for them.

We kinda found out at the World Cup in 2003 when Wendell, Lote and Mat Rogers were all on the team that made the final.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
We kinda found out at the World Cup in 2003 when Wendell, Lote and Mat Rogers were all on the team that made the final.
That’s 3 but imagine the likes Lockyer at 10, Billy Slater, Inglis, Joey etc. Someone like Damien Cook at halfback, imagine those little scoots.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Reflecting on the current Covid-19 situation which has caused a halt to the 2020 season....

Positives:

1. Cronulla has a 100% losing record as a “home” team on OUR ground.

2. SGI won’t get the dreaded wooden spoon:

Negatives:

1. McGregor will be “coach” again in 2021.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Its a fascinating period to be in

I thought Split Enz said "history never repeats" ??

if we move on from footy for now, where do we direct our attention?

If we dont have footy for now as a distraction where doe our hours of being on the forum or watching games etc per week shift to?

Have we seen other periods in history where there was a significant change in values or mother nature a disruptor.... such as the earthquake that ruined large parts of the Colosseum and a change in values that didnt want the entertainment any more?

Decline of the Colosseum - Failing Roman Economy
At the height of its popularity the cost of the gladiatorial games at the Colosseum came to one third of the total income of the Roman Empire. The emperors who followed Honorius at first commissioned repairs to the Colosseum (after the earthquake) but as its political importance declined, together with the wealth of the Roman Empire, so did the enthusiasm for spending money on repairs. Constant warfare required heavy military spending. The Roman government was constantly threatened by bankruptcy and the emperors spent money on wars.

LINK: http://www.tribunesandtriumphs.org/colosseum/decline-of-the-colosseum.htm

Too deep ?

Not deep enough ? lol

Last edited by a moderator:

If we dont have footy for now as a distraction where doe our hours of being on the forum or watching games etc per week shift to?

Have we seen other periods in history where there was a significant change in values or mother nature a disruptor.... such as the earthquake that ruined large parts of the Colosseum and a change in values that didnt want the entertainment any more?

At the height of its popularity the cost of the gladiatorial games at the Colosseum came to one third of the total income of the Roman Empire. The emperors who followed Honorius at first commissioned repairs to the Colosseum (after the earthquake) but as its political importance declined, together with the wealth of the Roman Empire, so did the enthusiasm for spending money on repairs. Constant warfare required heavy military spending. The Roman government was constantly threatened by bankruptcy and the emperors spent money on wars.

Too deep ?

Not deep enough ? lol
I'm playing tiddly winks and the occasional game of marbles.

merahputih

Juniors

Too deep ?

Not deep enough ? lol
Don't worry AG, Emperor Trumpius has decreed that the plague will be over by Easter.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Just to give you some idea The Panthers have just closed down all activities it's stated that if there is no NRL this year that they will lose 40 million dollars and that is one of the biggest junior Leagues in the world.
It's on Channel 7 news right at this moment

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Reflecting on the current Covid-19 situation which has caused a halt to the 2020 season....

Positives:

1. Cronulla has a 100% losing record as a “home” team on OUR ground.

2. SGI won’t get the dreaded wooden spoon:

Negatives:

1. McGregor will be “coach” again in 2021.
Negatives:
Peoples lives outside football will be ruined more than anything anyone alive today has ever seen.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Negatives:
Peoples lives outside football will be ruined more than anything anyone alive today has ever seen.

That’s true with most viruses, isn’t it? Mind you there’s a lot worse ones out there than Covid-19 which hasn’t received anywhere near the same level of Apocalyptic scaremongering provided by our beloved government and media outlets.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Only 3 more weeks Jimmy?
I'll check in with you next week.

Sure, please do. Let’s reconvene in the first week of May. In the interim and as a suggestion, keep an eye on a website called Worldometres.com (or something similar) which keeps informed people abreast just how Corona virus is affected the Australian populace by large.

It’s not as catastrophic as the government (and media outlets) would have you “think”.