What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to crack out Arko's ARL blueprint

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Pre-SL War, Arko was advocating his own idea for a Super League.

"Ken Arthurson has proposed a Super League... comprising four or five teams from Sydney, two from Brisbane, three New South Wales Country teams, Queensland Country and Auckland.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League_war

If clubs start falling over, the ARLC will nee a long-term plan for which clubs to save as they are, which ones to let go and which to save through relocation deals.

I think the Godfather of RL had the right plan. Good place to start...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could be worth dusting off SL’s blueprint for Sydney. Super clubs owned by existing clubs who maintain their identities in the second division. Southern Sydney something’s owned by dragons and sharks playing out of a new stadium built and owned by the nrl. now theres an idea.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We're almost certainly going to lose clubs, but I highly doubt that the NRL has the balls to push for a radical restructure or even to try and have some control over which clubs survive and how.

There won't be any plan, it'll just be survival of the fittest and damn the consequences.

Meanwhile in the AFL they'll be planning and scheming. Any clubs that fall over or are forced to merge or relocate will do so only with their blessing, and they'll come out the other side smelling of daisies.

Diesel

Coach
Could be worth dusting off SL’s blueprint for Sydney. Super clubs owned by existing clubs who maintain their identities in the second division. Southern Sydney something’s owned by dragons and sharks playing out of a new stadium built and owned by the nrl. now theres an idea.
Isn’t that Richo’s platinum league blueprint

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was under the impression he was blocked by the clubs.

(They didnt want to lose control of junior development)

bit of both, nsw clubs didn’t want to share resources and nswrl and QRL refused to give up control of their comps.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If we're looking at losing four clubs (Manly, Saints, Sharks, and Titans seem to be the names most commonly thrown about), I'd suggest propping up one of Saints/Sharks (probably Saints) to ensure that area is still represented.

That gives us three spots to fill, which I'd suggest as teams on the Central Coast, in Brisbane, and in Perth for the short term.

Can look at expanding into Adelaide, Tassie, Darwin, NZ 2, etc. when things calm down again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Timely, Richo just on nrl360 blowing up that his 112 report on the future of the game was ditched due to self interest on both sides. It included a financial remodelling for the game to keep it within its means. Shame they ignored him.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we're looking at losing four clubs (Manly, Saints, Sharks, and Titans seem to be the names most commonly thrown about), I'd suggest propping up one of Saints/Sharks (probably Saints) to ensure that area is still represented.

That gives us three spots to fill, which I'd suggest as teams on the Central Coast, in Brisbane, and in Perth for the short term.

Can look at expanding into Adelaide, Tassie, Darwin, NZ 2, etc. when things calm down again.

would be a great outcome for future of game (sht for those clubs fans) but isn’t going to happen.

Misanthrope

Staff member
would be a great outcome for future of game (sht for those clubs fans) but isn’t going to happen.

A boy can dream! My original team were the Reds, back when I didn't actually follow footy, and I've always had a soft spot for a Perth team. I wouldn't give up my Knights, but they'd be an automatic #2.

TheRam

Coach
The Titans and Manly will be the teams that fall, if any. Two teams that the NRL needs as representation in their respective areas.

Pity both Cronulla and Easts will survive.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Im confused. How can a great outcome be loosing fans?

The game loses fans all the time. Everyday some die, some are just busy for footy, some just lose interest.

So really it's not about whether you lose fans and how you lose them, because that is inevitable, it's about whether you can replace them and how quickly you can replace them.

If a club's going to fold, then it's going to fold, but if you could take that club (or what's left of it) and transplant it to another area and be sure that you can replace the loses then you'd be mad not to.

tri_colours

Juniors
The game loses fans all the time. Everyday some die, some are just busy for footy, some just lose interest.

So really it's not about whether you lose fans and how you lose them, because that is inevitable, it's about whether you can replace them and how quickly you can replace them.

If a club's going to fold, then it's going to fold, but if you could take that club (or what's left of it) and transplant it to another area and be sure that you can replace the loses then you'd be mad not to.

But surely it would be better to have both lots. Not tear down one for the sake of the other.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But surely it would be better to have both lots. Not tear down one for the sake of the other.

Ideally yes but maybe what this current situation is showing us is if you keep adding more and the pie slice gets thinner it becomes harder to rescue all in times of crisis?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
North QLD
Brisbane
Redcliffe
Gold Coast
Auckland
Sydney Roosters
South Sydney
Dogs
Eels
Panthers