What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New restrictions closing clubs - this could be big trouble

ACTPanthers

Bench
Your second sentence is great and encouraging - it is exactly what Panthers needs. Can-do people with great passion and optimism,

Your last sentence is an "oh well. Shit happens" statement which is exactly what is not needed - and it is precisely the approach of the cumquats running the joint.

I also mostly see the glass as half full. This is going to be a big big challenge for the club. The challenges cannot be confronted and beaten unless you are realistic about what they are.

People on this forum have stuck their collective heads in the sand for so long, they get blinded by what happens on the football field and the spin that surrounds football.

They whinge and whine about team changes, coach changes, a few losses on the run - they even threaten to take action sometimes. But they fail to see the decay in the business of their club and fail to understand the impact it has on the future viability of the football team.

Without doubt there will be a future, albeit one that looks very different and it won't be everyone's cup of tea.
Wow... I’ll give you that, you’re extremely good at reading a lot more than intended from a statement. “Oh well. Shit happens.” wasn’t what I was saying at all. I was more pointing out the fact that this a completely unprecedented and unpredictable set of events. No club, well not many anyway, would be set up to recover from this level of shit storm.

OldPanther

Coach
Wow... I’ll give you that, you’re extremely good at reading a lot more than intended from a statement. “Oh well. Shit happens.” wasn’t what I was saying at all. I was more pointing out the fact that this a completely unprecedented and unpredictable set of events. No club, well not many anyway, would be set up to recover from this level of shit storm.

No business will come out of this well.

franklin2323

Immortal

Very few businesses can go 6 months with no income. Look at the big companies going broke

Atleast we have various ways to soften the blow compared to say Manly or Parra

darkbloom

Juniors
"Shit happens" may not have been your intent but it is a statement of resignation to and acceptance of the failure - like you said not many are set up to recover but Panthers SHOULD be set up to guarantee recovery. Nothing less should be acceptable. In fact Panthers should be in a position to do the sort of thing being done by Mounties.

Watch this:

darkbloom

Juniors
Even if need to sell one or 2. Get naming rights for the stadium etc there are ways

Yes. Selling assets is what they usually do and this will probably be no exception.

How much do you think they would get for their two most valuable (not Penrith) property? Keep in mind they cannot sell the Glenbrook property - they can only sell the licence to operate that club. The others are Port Macquarie, North Richmond, Bathurst,

Writing that list is a stark reminder of the amount of shrinkage we have had - it used to be Bathurst, Glenbrook, North Richmond, Newcastle, Cardiff, Port Macquarie RSL, Port MacquarieSports, Lavington, West Epping, Wallacia, Mekong, St Johns Park, West Epping. And of course the mighty mothership Panthers at Penrith.

Add that to what you think they would get for Stadium Sponsorship? (Would anyone be in the market to invest in that right now?)

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes. Selling assets is what they usually do and this will probably be no exception.

How much do you think they would get for their two most valuable (not Penrith) property? Keep in mind they cannot sell the Glenbrook property - they can only sell the licence to operate that club. The others are Port Macquarie, North Richmond, Bathurst,

Writing that list is a stark reminder of the amount of shrinkage we have had - it used to be Bathurst, Glenbrook, North Richmond, Newcastle, Cardiff, Port Macquarie RSL, Port MacquarieSports, Lavington, West Epping, Wallacia, Mekong, St Johns Park, West Epping. And of course the mighty mothership Panthers at Penrith.

Add that to what you think they would get for Stadium Sponsorship? (Would anyone be in the market to invest in that right now?)

Port Macquarie site is right on the water. Some developer could make a stackload turning that into apartments.

Maybe you get $10m for the sites
Get rid of the academies in Bathurst, Dubbo, Forbes and the 2 extra junior league teams - $2m
Busy Mulgoa Road signage, plus the games atleast $300k
Bathurst home games are Sold off for $300k. Sell of a few more worst case you don’t lose money on it
Partner up with someone to run lower grade side
You still get the NRL grant

So there are some cost cutting measures right there that won’t make too much difference to the club

darkbloom

Juniors
Port Macquarie site is right on the water. Some developer could make a stackload turning that into apartments.

Maybe you get $10m for the sites
Get rid of the academies in Bathurst, Dubbo, Forbes and the 2 extra junior league teams - $2m
Busy Mulgoa Road signage, plus the games atleast $300k
Bathurst home games are Sold off for $300k. Sell of a few more worst case you don’t lose money on it
Partner up with someone to run lower grade side
You still get the NRL grant

So there are some cost cutting measures right there that won’t make too much difference to the club

The Port Macquarie is on a canal, it is part of an existing shopping centre. But it would get much more than $10m Asset sales provide up front cash but you forgo ongoing future income as a result. So there is a downside to such a sale.

$300k sounds about right for sponsorship of a suburban stadium - when the market is good. Right nowI can't imagine anyone committing anything to such an investment. Prospects for this type of sponsorship, I think, will wait and see what happens when the game returns and settles down.

Who buys Bathurst games for $300k a pop? When you say sell a few more - are you talking home games being sold at $300k per game? That is a very surprising figure to me.

Are the academies in those places costing $2m a year? f**k me. How was that ever affordable?

Anyway good thoughts.

franklin2323

Immortal
The Port Macquarie is on a canal, it is part of an existing shopping centre. But it would get much more than $10m Asset sales provide up front cash but you forgo ongoing future income as a result. So there is a downside to such a sale.

$300k sounds about right for sponsorship of a suburban stadium - when the market is good. Right nowI can't imagine anyone committing anything to such an investment. Prospects for this type of sponsorship, I think, will wait and see what happens when the game returns and settles down.

Who buys Bathurst games for $300k a pop? When you say sell a few more - are you talking home games being sold at $300k per game? That is a very surprising figure to me.

Are the academies in those places costing $2m a year? f**k me. How was that ever affordable?

Anyway good thoughts.

Property costs will drop how much is the question.

Again that is something market will dictate but short term fix to keep things going.

Bathurst is a different circumstance because that is a few years old now that relationship.

Just a quick look at what was the draw GC and NQ games would of lost money. So even if Bankwest or somewhere was going to do a deal and if only ended up $100k profit still better.

$5m was the lower grade cost last year. That included 3 staff members for those academies
Coaching staff for
Harold Matthews
Andrew Johns Cup
SG Ball
Laurie Daley Cup
Flegg
NSW Cup.

housing, feeding those players that came down for training/games then went home.
Coaches to get players all over the State.

All is fine if you have the money for. No doubt now will get cuts

murraymob

Coach
I have always said we spend way to much on the juniors considering how that transcends into results at a senior level.Cutting there is not a disaster but a good business plan
If this does not shake up all NRL players into seeing how lucky they are then nothing will.

franklin2323

Immortal
I have always said we spend way to much on the juniors considering how that transcends into results at a senior level.Cutting there is not a disaster but a good business plan
If this does not shake up all NRL players into seeing how lucky they are then nothing will.

All clubs will cut costs. Salary Cap will drop too so we won’t be the only club in that boat

Alintheeast

Juniors
Can someone provide a reason why the district needs or has to fund a first grade team. The juniors/the kids are from my point of view far more important than a pack of mercenaries, how many real juniors are in the 30.
Why not just sell the Nrl license and team to someone who has the readys and wants it. New owners would establish a new team but stay in Penrith for x years.New team(not a club) could buy or lease existing facilities. Affiliate the current Juniors with the new club to have a place for the weekly unwanted 13
to stay match fit. Time to move on.

murraymob

Coach
Can someone provide a reason why the district needs or has to fund a first grade team. The juniors/the kids are from my point of view far more important than a pack of mercenaries, how many real juniors are in the 30.
Why not just sell the Nrl license and team to someone who has the readys and wants it. New owners would establish a new team but stay in Penrith for x years.New team(not a club) could buy or lease existing facilities. Affiliate the current Juniors with the new club to have a place for the weekly unwanted 13
to stay match fit. Time to move on.

The district does not fund the team .The leagues club sponsors and supporters do.The leagues club started to support the football team .It is in its charter
Anyone buying the NRL licence will move for sure ..The juniors cost 2to 3 million to run every year without a senior club it makes no sense for the leagues club to keep doing that
So the juniors need the seniors .And to a degree the seniors need the juniors

Kilkenny

Coach
The district does not fund the team .The leagues club sponsors and supporters do.The leagues club started to support the football team .It is in its charter
Anyone buying the NRL licence will move for sure ..The juniors cost 2to 3 million to run every year without a senior club it makes no sense for the leagues club to keep doing that
So the juniors need the seniors .And to a degree the seniors need the juniors

Can I just say I am so proud of our junior pathways. Not all our juniors make it to the NRL whether it be with the Panthers or any other NRL club which many do.

Our next premiership success will be on the back of a crop of outstanding juniors that is not in question. When that will be is in question and perhaps not likely to be anytime soon.

I hope going forward we never dismiss our commitment to our junior’s. Regardless of whether that brings us success at the NRL level it is not necessarily the most important criteria.

While we only have enjoyed two premierships in our 50 year history we have much to be proud of.

franklin2323

Immortal
Can I just say I am so proud of our junior pathways. Not all our juniors make it to the NRL whether it be with the Panthers or any other NRL club which many do.

Our next premiership success will be on the back of a crop of outstanding juniors that is not in question. When that will be is in question and perhaps not likely to be anytime soon.

I hope going forward we never dismiss our commitment to our junior’s. Regardless of whether that brings us success at the NRL level it is not necessarily the most important criteria.

While we only have enjoyed two premierships in our 50 year history we have much to be proud of.

I don’t think we will dismiss it. Just remove some waste