What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

blue bags

First Grade
SOUTH SYDNEY

One of the league’s safest with a league-high 28,413 members, as well as Russell Crowe and James Packer holding a 75 per cent ownership.

Retired legend Sam Burgess will get two weeks’ pay before being let go.
slammin sam should give back the rabbits 2 weeks pay , for the trouble he caused

Nerd

Bench
All sport in Australia could be in for a major reset if Foxtel fall over. The NRL may have to go with the pay per view + FTA model if this happens.

The 12 NRL teams I'd like to see in 2021, playing home and away, 22 matches then obviously, winner of the league wins the Provan-Summons trophy. Make a cup for the ARL Cup Final in Sydney in October. Top 8 from the league qualifies.

South Sydney, South Queensland Titans(playing half of their matches at GC and half in Brissy), Sydney Roosters, Parramatta, Canterbury, Melbourne, Canberra, Newcastle, Penrith, St George Illawarra RFC(wish they would drop the Dragons name, nickname them the Saints in the media), NQ Cowboys, Brisbane Broncos.

Last edited:

Nevan_

First Grade
The NRL doesn’t have the cojones to do what’s needed. The game is in a too precarious of a position to have teams that don’t contribute to the overall health of the league, and clubs like the Roosters, Manly and Cronulla only hinder the competition with their lack of junior development or substantial fan base. Not to mention the fact that their areas hold no strategic importance.

Perth, Adelaide and another team in Brisbane to break up the unfair advantage that the Broncos get is paramount to the viability of the game going forward.

Diesel

Referee
The 12 NRL teams I'd like to see in 2021, playing home and away, 22 matches then obviously, winner of the league wins the Provan-Summons trophy. Make a cup for the ARL Cup Final in Sydney in October. Top 8 from the league qualifies.

South Sydney, South Queensland Titans(playing half of their matches at GC and half in Brissy), Sydney Roosters, Parramatta, Canterbury, Melbourne, Canberra, Newcastle, Penrith, St George Illawarra RFC(wish they would drop the Dragons name, nickname them the Saints in the media), NQ Cowboys, Brisbane Broncos.
The only team that stops the NRL from being an exclusive east coast competition is the Warriors. I can’t see a future RL competition without the Warriors

Nerd

Bench
Interesting article. I don't buy his thinking on AFL having an asset that is worthless right now though lol. That same asset is what will allow them to get a $500m secures loan whilst the NRL may struggle to get f**k all
He is right in saying that Marvel stadium is now not helping their bottom line as it still has fixed costs of rates, insurance and maintenance etc while there is no income coming in. I would think you would find a bank hard pressed to lend money against an asset that has zero income for the next few months and the chances of them recouping any money would be slim as I don't expect there would be many buyers waiting in the wings to buy a 27 year old stadium.
Saying that the land would be worth something and is much more than the NRL has at the moment. If anything this crisis has shown that the NRL has to use this crisis to take control of the game and stare down the greedy club owners who are only concerned with their own clubs and not the game in general.

Danish

Referee

You want to have a 22 round season just to eliminate 4 teams for a finals series?

A 12 team system can't have more than a top 6, and really should just have a top 4

gerg

Juniors
If the TV component of the game is a weak point for the game, why doesn't the NRL come up with some content for broadcasters? I think we've all seen NFL films, about iconic coaches or players and super bowl teams. Why couldn't you do the exact same thing with SOO (dynasties, series and players) or the amazing WC win for NZ a few years ago, the rise of Tonga, the dominance of the Kangaroos. There are so many possibilities there and the players and ex players have **** all else to do, and they could provide commentary while not breaching any isolation protocols.
There is no way they could produce enough content to fill the void but it might help a little.

Shire_seaeagle

Juniors

So you have 5 sydney teams and not one north of the harbour bridge all the way to Newcastle ( at least 1-2m people)?

The Rosco

Bench

I agree with those 12 teams, except I'd cut souths and replace them with WT.

As long as they get the players salaries down then actual running costs could be minimal for the year with other staff stood down or taking pay cuts and the NRL's $4million so far funding to each club should be enough to see them through. Its if players want their money that clubs are going to be in real strife. Will also depend to some degree on how the sponsors react and the members. Given they have paid up front, if they demand their money back then clubs may not have it to give them.

Clubs have far more fixed costs than just player salaries (which are largely paid by the NRL anyway). Office Leases, Utilities, Comms, Insurances, wages for essential staff (they can't stand everyone down). Given that there will be substantial demands for refunds for sponsorship and membership- with no revenue it gets real hard, real quick.

The NRL will cherry pick metrics to decide which clubs its willing to save over others and sorry to say but The Sharks are way down on the list. The clubs with shiny new stadiums (Eels, Cowboys) will be high on the list.

Delusion. The NRL won't be saving any clubs, regardless of what sort of stadium they play out of. It's been made clear they are not in a position to do so. If the Eels or Cows fall over, they are gone, and it will be up to someone else to play in their shiny stadiums. There will not be a decision made to prop them up because they have a lease with a new piece of infrastructure- at best they may call for a new club with ties to the old club to fill the void.

Like many other clubs I am not confident that the Sharks can ride through this given a long enough shutdown. But they wont be "chopped" by the NRL. The NRL at this stage is desperate for every club to survive.

Seriously; if you love the game pray that we get back on the field soon.

The NRL doesn’t have the cojones to do what’s needed. The game is in a too precarious of a position to have teams that don’t contribute to the overall health of the league, and clubs like the Roosters, Manly and Cronulla only hinder the competition with their lack of junior development or substantial fan base. Not to mention the fact that their areas hold no strategic importance.

Perth, Adelaide and another team in Brisbane to break up the unfair advantage that the Broncos get is paramount to the viability of the game going forward.

Idiotic statement. How precarious does the league look if the Roosters, Manly and Cronulla fold tomorrow? The broadcast contract is null and void right there because the NRL cant deliver the number of games and everyone potentially dies.

If the TV component of the game is a weak point for the game, why doesn't the NRL come up with some content for broadcasters? I think we've all seen NFL films, about iconic coaches or players and super bowl teams. Why couldn't you do the exact same thing with SOO (dynasties, series and players) or the amazing WC win for NZ a few years ago, the rise of Tonga, the dominance of the Kangaroos. There are so many possibilities there and the players and ex players have **** all else to do, and they could provide commentary while not breaching any isolation protocols.
There is no way they could produce enough content to fill the void but it might help a little.

The entire media department was sent home. There's no one there to create this content cause there is no money to pay the staff. When you are talking "NRL" you are talking about Todd Greenberg and some accounts staff. The organisation barely exists at the moment.

Nevan_

First Grade
Idiotic statement. How precarious does the league look if the Roosters, Manly and Cronulla fold tomorrow? The broadcast contract is null and void right there because the NRL cant deliver the number of games and everyone potentially dies

I never said that these parasitic clubs should fold. Relocation is the answer, as having teams in most capital cities makes more sense commercially than having most of the competition based on suburban Sydney.

I never said that these parasitic clubs should fold. Relocation is the answer, as having teams in most capital cities makes more sense commercially than having most of the competition based on suburban Sydney.

Parasitic?

Ok. I'm not going to argue with you because you clearly don't get it.
These clubs are in a fight for their survival right now. The best outcome for the NRL is that the competition continues as we all know it, despite some of its shortcomings. Suggesting the Sharks or Manly draft a plan for relocation is like asking a gunshot victim what plan they have for their career in 5 years.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I would think you would find a bank hard pressed to lend money against an asset that has zero income for the next few months and the chances of them recouping any money would be slim as I don't expect there would be many buyers waiting in the wings to buy a 27 year old stadium.

That's the thing though, their chances of securing a loan are a lot higher in the current circumstances compared to the NRL. Roy was talking down that stadium asset by saying it's current status is useless. Key word being current. His statement isn't very forward looking.

The (almost guaranteed) revenue stream a bank could tap into for the next decade, once this crisis fades away, would make the deal seem a lot juicier. The land as you note is also worth something, has some decent development potential, in a great location, and I'd argue there would be willing (groups of) buyers out there.

You want to have a 22 round season just to eliminate 4 teams for a finals series?

A 12 team system can't have more than a top 6, and really should just have a top 4
There is no Finals Series. The league is over after 22 rounds, the Provan-Summons Trophy and the JJ Giltinan Shield are presented to the league winners. You then have a post season cup competition, you qualify for that by being in the top 8 of the league. It's the winner of the LEAGUE that plays in the WCC the following year.