What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns questions Dragons' recruitment of Ben Hunt as pressure rises

SBD82

Coach
I agree with this observation SBD, I’d add that Norman plays more ad lib as first receiver, also given the Hunt price tag, at the least experimenting with him as dummy half, as some astute minds discern, would be far from irresponsible.

Hunt seems to play what’s in front of him when he plays out of dummy half, and given his experience as a halfback he would be able to seemlessly slot back in to first receiver, albeit with confidence, when he sees a pattern emerging with the opponent’s defensive structures that he can’t exploit from dummy half. ( such as getting his edge forwards running wherever their effectiveness is amplified )

Our number one problem as you rightly state is a robotic game plan that has seen no evolution in years, and lost any semblance of expansion when Widdop wasn’t on the paddock.

I’m not convinced Tyson needs to run closer to the ruck, I think he needs smarter delivery from his playmakers, if for instance he had JT organising his runs, there would be little argument about who the best edge forwards in the comp are.

Hunt lacks confidence to take the team and himself to another level, something I think he is capable of, and that is, in my opinion, by virtue of the number on his back.

Change that to a 9 and give him command of the team and on his back, the Dragons would resemble the potential we all know they have.

Or we maintain the status quo and say Hunt is definitely a 7, Norman must play structured and reap the rewards of such.
I thoroughly appreciate the thought that you’ve put into the post. But I have to admit I’m jaded.

It truly looks as though nothing we do to change the positions in the team, or bringing in new players, will have any effect at this stage. Until Mary is gone we won’t have a proper understanding of what we have in terms of talent.

For example, we could do as you say and move Hunt to 9. But if Mary places restrictions on his game at 9 as he has at 7, what’s the point? Hunt would become a pass and tackle bot.

And at the same time, any new 7 that we brought in would still have options coming onto the ball with poor shape. A half can’t choose the right option if there isn’t one.

I know that’s a super negative post. But I just can’t see any progress for the players or the team until we have a new coach.

sa1nt5

Juniors
More a realist outlook rather than negative.
Mate everyone of us with either St George or Illawarra blood, as too the younger generation that knows only St George Illawarra feel Jaded and some of us, without hyperbole, feel truly broken about the obvious nepotism and cronyism dissolving the spirit of our family.

I gained a small hope in the fox league coverage against the panthers, watching the young girl and the passion she displayed for our team our club when the coverage cut to her, so there is hope for the future, Regardless of how much longer McGregor is able to leverage whatever it is that he has.

We all know It sure ain’t ability

sa1nt5

Juniors
Let's get Mary.....
Sacked & out the door
first.....
Let's wait and see what a new coach can do, with this squad first.
Then he will make the
Changes needed...
It also sounds to me as though Andrew Gordon, is a big problem......
Or it could even be a SHE that makes the changes needed, right now, I’m open to new paradigms vis-a-vis our first grade coach.
Pretty certain the NRL would consider fast tracking accreditation for the right candidate.
Sack McGregor and give the job to Ruan Sims, might be the coach to get another 20% out of Tariq and 50% out of Korbin.

Food for thought.
visualise the family chat, Tariq: Mum, Ruan dropped me.
Ashton: yeah, cause you played like a bitch.
Following weeks Daily Telegraph & courier mail Headline.
3 members of the Bonco’s hospitalised after yet another brutal encounter with Tariq Sims.

sa1nt5

Juniors
I'd very much welcome news that Norman wanted out and our new coach sees Hunt as a hooker. Clune for Norman would give us some much-needed salary cap space. McInnes to lock ensures our middle is equipment with the defence required. Add to this a dynamic 6 and we have all the attacking flair we need in the 17.
Dead on bullseye. I’d say young Tristan is that 6.
Everything about him, screams, I’ll see your Wendell and raise you 3 Trent Barrett’s and 2 Mundine's.

Father Ted

First Grade
Dead on bullseye. I’d say young Tristan is that 6.
Everything about him, screams, I’ll see your Wendell and raise you 3 Trent Barrett’s and 2 Mundine's.
I think young Tristan will hit the frog and toad at the end of the year. If the story that he signed a one year contract only and has one year left on his course , it kinda suggests he's leaving . Probably wrong and I certainly hope so...But????

redv13

Bench
I think young Tristan will hit the frog and toad at the end of the year. If the story that he signed a one year contract only and has one year left on his course , it kinda suggests he's leaving . Probably wrong and I certainly hope so...But????
No big loss really in my opinion. Be another Jai Field beat up. Broncos can have him

Belta

Juniors
No big loss really in my opinion. Be another Jai Field beat up. Broncos can have him

Only my craz d theories and OCD on wanting juniors given a go but I wonder with our diabolical fallout last year would;
# Jai Field have been as effective as Norman last year?
or
# would Sailor been as effective as Norman this year?
or
# even prior to that would Mann been as effective,

I’d say probably more so on all accounts and anyone of them be a damn side cheaper. But true to form we’ll never know. Well undoubtedly lose Sailor before testing his abilities

Como Connection

First Grade
Only my craz d theories and OCD on wanting juniors given a go but I wonder with our diabolical fallout last year would;
# Jai Field have been as effective as Norman last year?
or
# would Sailor been as effective as Norman this year?
or
# even prior to that would Mann been as effective,

I’d say probably more so on all accounts and anyone of them be a damn side cheaper. But true to form we’ll never know. Well undoubtedly lose Sailor before testing his abilities
Regarding Mann as 5/8, I was driving back from Victoria a few years ago and the Dragons were playing Melbourne away.
We were staying at Albury overnight so I rushed to the Commercial Club to watch the game and Mann was a standout in that position.
Another never given a fair go.
CC

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Watching Sailor’s interview with Fox League during the week left me in no doubt that he’s definitely leaving.

If true, it’s disappointing that history will repeat itself and as with his dad, Saints will let another go without testing his capabilities.

Father Ted

First Grade
Watching Sailor’s interview with Fox League during the week left me in no doubt that he’s definitely leaving.

If true, it’s disappointing that history will repeat itself and as with his dad, Saints will let another go without testing his capabilities.
I would love to know what he said? I don't have fox..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I would love to know what he said? I don't have fox..

To paraphrase, Sailor acknowledged his current contract expires at the end of the year, and after that his manager will determine where his future lies, whether it be with SGI or another club.At no stage, did Tristan indicate he would like to stay.

Father Ted

First Grade
To paraphrase, Sailor acknowledged his current contract expires at the end of the year, and after that his manager will determine where his future lies, whether it be with SGI or another club.At no stage, did Tristan indicate he would like to stay.
Thank you.. The shutdown of the League may help retain him, but I doubt it .. I remember
Hard to know in the current climate if he can leave or not . Players are voting with their feet at the moment . The front office is a shambles at the moment in my opinion ..I have read that young Lomax was leaving unless he got first go at fullback, and that's a situation thats sheer madness , Players telling the club what position they will play..Sorry about top post seniors moment,

BLM01

First Grade
Unfortunately for Tristan who desires and likely better position is fullback. We have if not Dufty, Cody Ramsay and others Lomax?, Schiller?...lining up for that position. If it is a choice between Tristan and Ramsay..I would take a punt on the latter. Tristan is no 6, no centre or winger as like a few young ones cant defend in the line. Our side is the best option for him to have a shot at 1 if he thinks he can handle it and make it his own then Ramsay leaves if Tristan shines. Can certainly run and attack but not sure or how long before Tristan is a regular 1st grader anyway. If not us...where or who would take a punt and throw him in at 1..he is better off here for a couple of years and try and get the 1 spot.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Remember Sailor is a Reggie and has potential.He should just be happy to get a shot at anything without nomination position.My opinion he is average at best.
How did we ever lose Ruben Garrick?????

FlameThrower

Bench
I think these NRL players need a hard dose of reality.
The season is on hold due to COVID-19 crisis, business going to the wall, governments injecting billions and trillions into the economy to reduce the impact of the global recession. Yet some of the players and NRL still don’t get it.
The game won’t back to “normal” in a few months - there is likelihood some clubs won’t survive this into next year. So players won’t have Clubs to go to.
Whatever was the norm no longer applies.
The players need to stay safe and healthy, consider their options of a Plan B especially the fringe players and some of the highly paid players who are not worth the money they are being paid. Foren, Hunt, Taylor to mention 3.

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately for Tristan who desires and likely better position is fullback. We have if not Dufty, Cody Ramsay and others Lomax?, Schiller?...lining up for that position. If it is a choice between Tristan and Ramsay..I would take a punt on the latter. Tristan is no 6, no centre or winger as like a few young ones cant defend in the line. Our side is the best option for him to have a shot at 1 if he thinks he can handle it and make it his own then Ramsay leaves if Tristan shines. Can certainly run and attack but not sure or how long before Tristan is a regular 1st grader anyway. If not us...where or who would take a punt and throw him in at 1..he is better off here for a couple of years and try and get the 1 spot.
We do have a few guys that could be slotted into the fullback position and have some potential as per the guys you mentioned BLM01. Unfortunately none are of the calibre of say Slater, Tedesco and other established fullbacks at this stage. Of course out of the guys we have, Dufty has the most experience in first grade and a few games by Lomax while Sailor, Ramsey and Schiller in the lower grades.

Do we persist with Dufty and put Lomax in the centres? Try Ramsey down the track and likewise Sailor? Not too sure about Schiller.

We should try and keep Sailor as he shows a greater awareness with his skills and anticipation in general play. All of the guys can show excitement in attack. They need hardening up in defence and someone like Flanagan, who also coached Barber - not a heavyweight guy but was able to hold reasonably steady in defence - to do this.

BLM01

First Grade
We do have a few guys that could be slotted into the fullback position and have some potential as per the guys you mentioned BLM01. Unfortunately none are of the calibre of say Slater, Tedesco and other established fullbacks at this stage. Of course out of the guys we have, Dufty has the most experience in first grade and a few games by Lomax while Sailor, Ramsey and Schiller in the lower grades.

Do we persist with Dufty and put Lomax in the centres? Try Ramsey down the track and likewise Sailor? Not too sure about Schiller.

We should try and keep Sailor as he shows a greater awareness with his skills and anticipation in general play. All of the guys can show excitement in attack. They need hardening up in defence and someone like Flanagan, who also coached Barber - not a heavyweight guy but was able to hold reasonably steady in defence - to do this.
Re your 2nd paragraph. Yes.
I would keep Sailor too he Needs time to develop his defence which she hasn’t yet I can’t see any other club throwing good money at him yet especially the Broncos.