What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who are Self Isolating

IFR33K

Coach
Once this blows over won't everything just start back up again or most things atleast?
I know heaps lost jobs but all these bars and shops will open back up wont they? Or most will.

It’ll take time mate. People won’t have money to throw back into the economy. Shit, the government may be broke by then too. Been a f^*king shit year so far

Incorrect

Coach
Once this blows over won't everything just start back up again or most things atleast?
I know heaps lost jobs but all these bars and shops will open back up wont they? Or most will.
I guess it will all depend on how many go broke and can't afford to pay rent etc while the shutdown is in place. Unless there is significant rent relief or freezing coming?

Thereafter, it also depends how many still have the disposable income on hand to be able to get straight back out there and dine/drink out on a regular basis...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Who is going to have money to spend after spending 6 months on the dole or living of their life savings, once it’s over I suspect most will probably spend another 6 months catching up on “unpaid bills” or saving a bit.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Who is going to have money to spend after spending 6 months on the dole or living of their life savings, once it’s over I suspect most will probably spend another 6 months catching up on “unpaid bills” or saving a bit.

At least we will all be given reasonable time to pay, Scotty from Marketing is making noises about people not being evicted for defaulting on rents or mortgages

hineyrulz

Post Whore
My Mrs is working from home and is v busy. The managing partner called her last night painting a picture of gloom and inferring pay cuts are on the horizon.

We discussed it last night and concluded that the best result for her is:-

1. Make yourself indispensable so others are culled before you.
2. If paycuts are mooted, suggest that you work 3 days a week at full pay rather than a pay cut. The strategy there is once work picks up, her days will be increased and hence she will be on full pay. If she agrees to a pay cut, when does your salary revert back ? What is the matrix that triggers this ?
3. In lieu of being stood down, offer to work with little to zero remuneration. This is better than having to find a new job when the economy spings back. Also shows dedication to the firm and the greater good.

Just our thoughts.
I have pretty much made myself indispensable over the years, the problem is if my Boss is able to keep the business open after losing all our work. We have lost almost 20% of our work since Monday with plenty of more losses to come.

It was tough going into some of the pubs and clubs we do on Monday morning seeing people I have known for a long time losing their jobs overnight. As I said I’m lucky to still have a job atm so could always be worse.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Thanks mate, and all the best with your situation as well. Hope you find somewhere for your mum, it is scary times atm. My Nan is in a nusring home atm and is very sick and her nursing home is in lockdown. Mum is worried sick she can't go down to NSW and see her.

This whole thing sucks - we, as a society, are struggling big time, and will probably don't tough for some considerable time.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It was tough going into some of the pubs and clubs we do on Monday morning seeing people I have known for a long time losing their jobs overnight. As I said I’m lucky to still have a job atm so could always be worse.

If its any consolation mate, its happening to everyone so we are all in this together and we'll all come out the other end together.

hindy111

Post Whore
I have pretty much made myself indispensable over the years, the problem is if my Boss is able to keep the business open after losing all our work. We have lost almost 20% of our work since Monday with plenty of more losses to come.

He needs to be carefull I guess that these businesses do not go under and can't pay him. And make his losses greater.

Gronk

Staff member

I was walking down Darlinghurst Rd Kings X late yesterday arvo. There are restaurants on both sides for nearly a km in that area. The vacant looks on owners faces as they sat alone, surrounded by empty tables waiting for a random person to take up the blackboard offer of take away, was haunting.

Kornstar

Coach
As of today working from home exclusively. Twice as much to do, but I have a job that pays well...not complaining....one of my mates who had been going through some pretty tough times with a marriage break-up....lost his job Monday (they'd already cut him back as a consequence of time lost through mental illness). Seriously don't know if he'll be around this time next year.

These are the people I am concerned about the most. People who are lucky enough to be resilient and get through will have really tough times but ultimately rebuild but the people like your friend are more than likely not to make it and that is truly devastating.

All any of us can do is be there as much as possible for anyone we know in the same situation but also sometimes people just don't let you help them.......hope he gets through it.........

Gronk

Staff member
As of today working from home exclusively. Twice as much to do, but I have a job that pays well...not complaining....one of my mates who had been going through some pretty tough times with a marriage break-up....lost his job Monday (they'd already cut him back as a consequence of time lost through mental illness). Seriously don't know if he'll be around this time next year.

These are the people I am concerned about the most. People who are lucky enough to be resilient and get through will have really tough times but ultimately rebuild but the people like your friend are more than likely not to make it and that is truly devastating.

All any of us can do is be there as much as possible for anyone we know in the same situation but also sometimes people just don't let you help them.......hope he gets through it.........

Well said. We need to make sure that nobody slips through the cracks during these trying times.

Kornstar

Coach
I've gotten some bad news at work and it looks like i may be looking job in the not to distant future.

I've worked the same job for a long long time and am shitting bricks at having to find something else.

@Gary Gutful the next round at the Chardies might have to be on you.

Shit hiney, hope you are ok and you can get through it. Look for the casual work that is available if it comes to that, supermarkets will more than likely start opening 24/7, see if there is anything you can do in a health space, i.e. hospital as they will need casual staff to help in more ways than just clinical.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Shit hiney, hope you are ok and you can get through it. Look for the casual work that is available if it comes to that, supermarkets will more than likely start opening 24/7, see if there is anything you can do in a health space, i.e. hospital as they will need casual staff to help in more ways than just clinical.
Cheers mate, I have a mate helping me with my CV and if I do lose my job which is looking likely I live around the corner from a woolies and near a Bunnings. I’ll be willing to do anything while this shit is going on.

Kornstar

Coach
Cheers mate, I have a mate helping me with my CV and if I do lose my job which is looking likely I live around the corner from a woolies and near a Bunnings. I’ll be willing to do anything while this shit is going on.

That is the best attitude, all the best!!

Latest posts