What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

TheFrog

Coach
The only team that stops the NRL from being an exclusive east coast competition is the Warriors. I can’t see a future RL competition without the Warriors
NSW, Qld and Victoria are 80% of the population of Australia. The Warriors are like all the others. They will survive if they remain solvent.

Shire_seaeagle

Juniors
The NRL doesn’t have the cojones to do what’s needed. The game is in a too precarious of a position to have teams that don’t contribute to the overall health of the league, and clubs like the Roosters, Manly and Cronulla only hinder the competition with their lack of junior development or substantial fan base. Not to mention the fact that their areas hold no strategic importance.

Perth, Adelaide and another team in Brisbane to break up the unfair advantage that the Broncos get is paramount to the viability of the game going forward.

I'm just speak for my team but a m sure both the other have their points so you say Manly has:
No area of strategic importance ( let's ignore a couple million from the harbour bridge to Newcastle and yes manly obviously doesn't cover all the area but is closest club)

No junior - mate all our successful sides and I'm include the current crop ( although havent won anyting) is built around a bunch of successful juniors. Manly always cop a bad rap but all their Great sides last 30 years have had a a decent spine of home grown talent.

Fan base - the colessium is in better shape than Brookie and once 14000 fans are in it starts being very uncomfortable - build a 20k stadium like parras and am sure Manly membership & crowds would mirror the stadiums capacity

greenBV4

Bench
If the TV component of the game is a weak point for the game, why doesn't the NRL come up with some content for broadcasters? I think we've all seen NFL films, about iconic coaches or players and super bowl teams. Why couldn't you do the exact same thing with SOO (dynasties, series and players) or the amazing WC win for NZ a few years ago, the rise of Tonga, the dominance of the Kangaroos. There are so many possibilities there and the players and ex players have **** all else to do, and they could provide commentary while not breaching any isolation protocols.
There is no way they could produce enough content to fill the void but it might help a little.
Who owns the rights to replays of games? Do broadcasters have to pay to replay them or do the NRL only hold rights over the live game? Nine could quite easily show replays of historic games with "special" commentary by past and present players etc. to fill the Thursday/Friday/Sunday void and could warrant the NRL requesting at least a percentage of the TV deal money

Quicksilver

Bench
NSW, Qld and Victoria are 80% of the population of Australia. The Warriors are like all the others. They will survive if they remain solvent.

Pretty points on a map are more important than serving the bulk of the established Rugba League community.

Quicksilver

Bench
i still think this is all a bit of a beat up. Most clubs will find ways, they can get loans, donations from fans. They can cut salaries and running costs.

I'll honestly be surprised if a single club folds.

Well yeah. But the world could very different coming out of this. Loans might not be so easy to obtain, even for entities with a sold asset base.

This could play out in so many different ways. Seemingly strong entities may have weaknesses that are not apparent right at the moment.

Diesel

Referee
He is right in saying that Marvel stadium is now not helping their bottom line as it still has fixed costs of rates, insurance and maintenance etc while there is no income coming in. I would think you would find a bank hard pressed to lend money against an asset that has zero income for the next few months and the chances of them recouping any money would be slim as I don't expect there would be many buyers waiting in the wings to buy a 27 year old stadium.
Saying that the land would be worth something and is much more than the NRL has at the moment. If anything this crisis has shown that the NRL has to use this crisis to take control of the game and stare down the greedy club owners who are only concerned with their own clubs and not the game in general.
Do the AFL own the land or just the stadium

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I'm just speak for my team but a m sure both the other have their points so you say Manly has:
No area of strategic importance ( let's ignore a couple million from the harbour bridge to Newcastle and yes manly obviously doesn't cover all the area but is closest club)

No junior - mate all our successful sides and I'm include the current crop ( although havent won anyting) is built around a bunch of successful juniors. Manly always cop a bad rap but all their Great sides last 30 years have had a a decent spine of home grown talent.

Fan base - the colessium is in better shape than Brookie and once 14000 fans are in it starts being very uncomfortable - build a 20k stadium like parras and am sure Manly membership & crowds would mirror the stadiums capacity

Agree with all of that mate.
I will add, a name change might help as well.
A lot of people north of the bridge don’t support “Manly”. It means nothing to them.
If you live in Chatswood or Avalon you have zero connection to manly

Northern Beaches Sea Eagles or the old Northern Eagles should be dusted off again

Nevan_

First Grade
Parasitic?

Ok. I'm not going to argue with you because you clearly don't get it.
These clubs are in a fight for their survival right now. The best outcome for the NRL is that the competition continues as we all know it, despite some of its shortcomings. Suggesting the Sharks or Manly draft a plan for relocation is like asking a gunshot victim what plan they have for their career in 5 years.

You claim that the best way forward is to continue the status quo of insular mismanagement, but I’m the one who doesn’t get it? I get that it’s hard for you to hear, but you need to take a step back and look at it objectively. It doesn’t make sense to have a team in a commercially insignificant region like the Shire while much larger cities have no NRL presence at all.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
You claim that the best way forward is to continue the status quo of insular mismanagement, but I’m the one who doesn’t get it? I get that it’s hard for you to hear, but you need to take a step back and look at it objectively. It doesn’t make sense to have a team in a commercially insignificant region like the Shire while much larger cities have no NRL presence at all.

Why not move St George to the Gong and have the Southern Sharks

kdalymc

Bench
Agree with all of that mate.
I will add, a name change might help as well.
A lot of people north of the bridge don’t support “Manly”. It means nothing to them.
If you live in Chatswood or Avalon you have zero connection to manly

Northern Beaches Sea Eagles or the old Northern Eagles should be dusted off again
What about Warringah ,what about Warringah!?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Massive opportunity for the nrl to wrestle control back from the clubs whilst they are in fear. Drop club grant to $12mill and cap to $9mill. Impose strict $20mill annual expenditure limit on clubs, put away the $16mill a year saved from club grants for the next disaster scenario. With a $20mill cap every club is profit making and could build its own asset base and new clubs wanting to come in have a much more manageable business plan helping with expansion.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Why not move St George to the Gong and have the Southern Sharks
Why not demerge St. George and Illawarra.

Why not have South Sydney merge with St. George. South Sydney Dragons. Green with a Red V.
Northside of the Georges River and Botany Bay. - Feeder club Newtown

Cronulla merge with Illawarra. Southside of the Georges River and Botany Bay, right down the coastline - Feeder club - Illawarra Steelers

Why not demerge Wests Tigers.

Why not have Canterbury merge with Wests. Western Sydney Bulldogs, from Auburn through Liverpool down to Campbelltown until to hit Canberra terriority.

Easts can just consume the broke tigers and become Sydney City. Feeder Club North Sydney.

Why not?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Why not demerge St. George and Illawarra.

Why not have South Sydney merge with St. George. South Sydney Dragons. Green with a Red V.
Northside of the Georges River and Botany Bay. - Feeder club Newtown

Cronulla merge with Illawarra. Southside of the Georges River and Botany Bay, right down the coastline - Feeder club - Illawarra Steelers

Why not demerge Wests Tigers.

Why not have Canterbury merge with Wests. Western Sydney Bulldogs, from Auburn through Liverpool down to Campbelltown until to hit Canberra terriority.

Easts can just consume the broke tigers and become Sydney City. Feeder Club North Sydney.

Why not?

Because most of the Tigers and Bunnies fans would squeal like stuck pigs. Not sure how the Illawarra locals would take to switching to the Sharks either.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Because most of the Tigers and Bunnies fans would squeal like stuck pigs. Not sure how the Illawarra locals would take to switching to the Sharks either.
I know mate it made sense last the mergers happened, will always make sense.

But Rugba Leg does not work on logic, works on ego and hatred.

Manly and Norths failed purely through hatred. Was a perfect match really.

Hence you have to drive through Canterbury to get from Campbelltown to Leichhardt or drive through Sutherland to get from Kogarah to Wollongong.

The middle-east of aussie sport.

grouch

First Grade
Demerge St George Illawarra, make the St George club the new South East Queensland team team, based out of Toowoomba but named after the town of St George, and call them: St George Dragons

Let me say it for you again. Slowly.

The best outcome-
Is for every club-
To survive the shutdown-
And for the NRL to continue-
Despite the current-
Shortcomings of the competition structure.

As soon as one club falls over the entire comp is in jeopardy- you get that right? The NRL has a contractual agreement to deliver 8 games. If they can't do that- the whole comp is in jeopardy.

Nobody who still has a job at the NRL or at a club is even thinking about relocation or the best spots on a map. It doesn't matter one iota that you think that the comp is structured poorly- because the entire game is in survival mode right now.

Quicksilver

Bench
But Rugba Leg does not work on logic, works on ego and hatred..

And that is what makes it strong. People are emotionally invested. If you just come up with some new team like the Northern Wind or the Southern Flounders no one would give a flying f**k.