What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

COVID-19 - NRL press conference at 10:00 Livestream Todd Greenberg and Peter V'Landys

Quigs

Immortal
Oh you mark my words bayyy-beee. There are some of those dominoes that are untouchable right now. The NRL will bend over backwards to keep them from a-tumblin'.

You might not remember this but I do. When the league was talkin of reducing the number of teams during the last dark times they set bars - guides to which clubs had to reach to be considered a-okay.

One was to have certain numbers of juniors in their districts - their junior strength.

Eastern Suburbs came nowhere near the mark. Souffs blitzed it in.

Guess which side got thrown out of the league.

Remember our Girls side recently. The decision not to included them was made on geographical grounds. Yeah pharrrkannnn right there Toddy boy.

Narrhhhh these Lloyd Bridges make some rules for most and another set for others. Always have always will. It is the nature of the corrupt beast.

Whichever way they go or what could happen I see court cases coming up. Thank the f**k we have some dosh in the bank.

Ads

First Grade
Prediction: they’ll strike a deal with the qld gov. Set up camp in Gladstone or wherever it was, quarantine for two weeks, train for two weeks and resume the comp.

Weaponhead

Coach
Interesting that clubs are standing down staff on no pay whilst players negotiate over pay cut rates. They dont seem to get that the industry is shut down.

If players wanted to show some leadership, they could all agree to go on the NRL minimum wage which is around $72k for 3 months. This might give clubs a chance to survive.

shaggs

Coach
Interesting that clubs are standing down staff on no pay whilst players negotiate over pay cut rates. They dont seem to get that the industry is shut down.

If players wanted to show some leadership, they could all agree to go on the NRL minimum wage which is around $72k for 3 months. This might give clubs a chance to survive.
I know NBA pay rates aren’t the same, but those blokes are giving hundreds of thousands to keep the cleaners and ticket sellers paid during the shutdown.
Pay cuts to keep membership teams and merch sellers etc will only benefit the players long term.
I’m talking your Moylan and Dugan and Johnson types on $$$$, or JT and cams of the nrl on $$$$$.

Quicksilver

Bench
Can’t agree more.

But I have seen two prominent Polynesian players one from Manly and one from the a Tigers talking like they should be exempt from any hardship like the rest of Australia.

Plenty of Braun with these too but not much brain in the coconut.

Stop trying to tear down successful people.

Weaponhead

Coach
With isolation, no sport and people desperate for entertainment, there is an opportunity for smart clubs to produce content.

Having the coach dissect the first 2 games would be interesting. Interviews with junior rep coaches to see how they are developjng talent. Having Gal host a top Sharks games in history show. Do production in house to keep costs l low and post to YouTube. Lots of other options.

Hard to do when everyone is stood down but could be done with current players if need be. There are opportunities in this situation for those who think creatively.

shadowboxer

First Grade
I know NBA pay rates aren’t the same, but those blokes are giving hundreds of thousands to keep the cleaners and ticket sellers paid during the shutdown.
Pay cuts to keep membership teams and merch sellers etc will only benefit the players long term.
I’m talking your Moylan and Dugan and Johnson types on $$$$, or JT and cams of the nrl on $$$$$.
Makes sense....to the general public. But most players don’t have any concept of the general public - they are above it all...or were.
Wonder why the game can’t grow its brand??

Feej

First Grade
I'm sure this will go down well with the RLPA...

NRL players will be asked to take an 87 per cent pay cut to ensure the survival of the sport if the governing body is forced to cancel the entire 2020 season as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Herald has been told that the NRL, working on a worst-case basis without further games this season, has just over $12 million left in player payments to be made before the end of the rugby league financial year on October 31.

0cdc7812998454cf0db162eb01de30a5e9d833b5

NRL players will be asked to take an 87 per cent pay cut if the season doesn't return in 2020.CREDIT:AAP

The players have already been paid their share of $67 million over the past five months, however the NRL doesn't have the funds to pay out the remaining $93 million the players were expecting over the next seven months.

That works out at roughly $26,000 per player for the next seven months, if the salary cap is shared equally across the 480 players in each of the 16 clubs' top 30 squads.

The Rugby League Players Association is expected to hold an emergency board meeting on Thursday night to discuss the substantial pay cuts and whether they would be willing to agree to an 80 to 90 per cent reduction. No agreement is in place as yet.

One of the models being discussed is a tiered pay-cut system that will see the highest paid players in the game share in a greater percentage of the financial reduction.

There are also discussions about applying a threshold to ensure players that earn less than a certain figure - mostly development and minimum wage players - don't take pay cuts.

The RLPA is in constant dialogue and haven't agreed to the pay cuts, however it appears the players will also face the reality many people across the nation are now faced with as a result of the global crisis.

The AFL is at loggerhead with its players, who won't budge on the 50 per cent pay-cut they proposed earlier in the week.

The NRL's financial position is far more grim than the AFL, and would need the players to take substantial cuts over the next seven months to ensure the code and the 16 clubs survive.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...pay-cut-to-save-the-game-20200326-p54e63.html

Stop trying to tear down successful people.

Not tearing down successful people.

Just pointing out that those players complaining need a reality check of what is going on with everyone’s workplace.

No one is immune to hardships at this time.

It was not a good look. Judging by the reaction on sport talkback the majority of people agree with my point of view.

Chimp

Juniors
I wonder if clubs can use this situation to rid themselves of some bad contracts? I appreciate that’s very cynical and not a particularly nice thing to do - but I’m sure we can all think of players from our own club and some at other clubs where the contracts just aren’t value for money, even when the players are on the park, never mind when they’re constantly injured or unavailable.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Does Chad exist on PS4 or X-box version of that NRL video game - I would just assume he is playing himself or with himself and talking to the brick wall in the third person

Latest posts