What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'm looking at Tassie myself... And Riverland. Orange, maybe parts of WA.

Ontl the plus side it might introduce a lot of growers and vintners to a larger market. But the cynic in me feels like its more likely people will just buy more of the shit mass label stuff

Tassie Chard, yes. Still can't quite get into their style of Pinot, for reasons I'm unable to work out. Enjoying more WA stuff. Frankland and Margaret are still powering along well. Can't seem to find consistent wines from Orange that I really enjoy. Nor Mudgee.

They're planting shiraz in Tassie too, now. It's the highest planted varietal in the last two years. And Scummo claims Climate Change isn't real...

The direction the market is heading toward is more 14.9% mixed varietals, so Barossa + 14.9% Riverland that doesn't need to be claimed. A lot of non-appellated wine too, so increasing SA, which is essentially Riverland with some dry grown blended in for body.

In my mind, a few things need to change and fast for us to keep producing without compromise to quality. More grenache, mataro, nero and montepulciano needs to be planted in South Australia and New South Wales and consumers pick them up. These varietals absorb heat well and produce brilliant wines. Same for white; more assyrtiko, albarino, fiano, marsanne etc needs to be grown. The styles of riesling, chardonnay and semillon are simply not going to be able to be grown in the way that made them successful in ten years. If we don't beat the curve, we'll be drinking flabby whites and customers will lose interest.

Bazal

Post Whore
Tassie Chard, yes. Still can't quite get into their style of Pinot, for reasons I'm unable to work out. Enjoying more WA stuff. Frankland and Margaret are still powering along well. Can't seem to find consistent wines from Orange that I really enjoy. Nor Mudgee.

They're planting shiraz in Tassie too, now. It's the highest planted varietal in the last two years. And Scummo claims Climate Change isn't real...

The direction the market is heading toward is more 14.9% mixed varietals, so Barossa + 14.9% Riverland that doesn't need to be claimed. A lot of non-appellated wine too, so increasing SA, which is essentially Riverland with some dry grown blended in for body.

In my mind, a few things need to change and fast for us to keep producing without compromise to quality. More grenache, mataro, nero and montepulciano needs to be planted in South Australia and New South Wales and consumers pick them up. These varietals absorb heat well and produce brilliant wines. Same for white; more assyrtiko, albarino, fiano, marsanne etc needs to be grown. The styles of riesling, chardonnay and semillon are simply not going to be able to be grown in the way that made them successful in ten years. If we don't beat the curve, we'll be drinking flabby whites and customers will lose interest.

I love Tassie Pinot. Second best in Aus IMO...and while I am not a denier, Tassie would have suited syrah regardless. Holm Oak know this, theirs is a ball tearer in the St Joseph style and has been around a while now. (Unrelated, totally should have asked out their rep when I was in the gig.....sigh). The Glaetzer-Dixon syrah won the Jimmy Watson years ago now. Anyway, no doubt it's partly climate and partly people joining the party a little late.

Obviously I'm out of the game but I'm kinda sad to hear that 15% wines are the direction we're going. A few years ago I was quite hopeful of a trend towards slightly lower alcohol, more elegant wines.

I also don't know that whites are a huge issue. I am 100% confident, for eg, that Canberra riesling is only going to get better. We're also adding marsanne, rousanne, albarino, some cracker arneis...and obviously viognier does wildly well here. I feel like riesling has a safe future in Australia regardless, personally. Canberra, Tassie, Adelaide Hills and Tumbarumba (fires aside), Orange, Southern Highlands, Victoria, southern WA....It'll be ok. Semillon, too, in the Hunter at least will be ok IMO. Cool climate chardy will thrive in Canberra, Tumburumba et al (fires aside), parts of Victoria and WA and obviously Tassie.

I don't disagree, mind you. I think that we'll have to reassess what regions we get certain wines from, absolutely. And that we'll definitely see a trend back towards more old world varietals as things change...both in the vineyard and in the market.

I think that Mediterranean reds especially are taking off more and that's a good thing, because I think we have plenty of regions that can grow them well in the right quantities (ie because nebbiolo is never going to outsell shiraz, but can and will sell enough to be a worthwhile venture in the right areas). I'd love to see stuff like saperavi and other cool to middling climate grapes get more of a foothold, too. Even Malbec, which is obviously more common these days but I still think would do well in a Cahors style in certain sites in regions like Canberra and parts of Victoria for eg, or in a South American style in some of the more coastal cool regions.

We've been stuck on shiraz and cabernet for far too long. In many ways this summer has been a disaster, but in others it's kind of exciting.

Bazal

Post Whore
Oooooon the subject, because I have now blown my good knee to pieces and been off the drink, but it's been far too long since I had a wine...

Tumblong Hills Table of Plenty Nebbiolo 2019, Gundagai. I get it for $18, because what the f**k is the point if you have zero contacts left in the industry, but I think it's about $20-$22.

An Italian wouldn't believe it was Nebbiolo on the pour. Far too red, but it's very pretty. Clear, shining ruby red. Big sweet and sour cherry, rose, a touch of flint and smoke...not so good in a 2020, but fine in a 2019. Palate is all fruit; rich cherry, wild tart raspberry, that easily identifiable foresty wildness of a good Italian red. Clean and sharp acid finish and just enough tannin to grip the very edge of your tongue.

It's not super serious but f**k it's delicious.

Bazal

Post Whore
Piss off, Catweasel.

Anyway, Mommesin Fleurie Beaujolais. 2018.

The best region within Beaujolais, so you'd expect a more serious wine, at least as Beaujolais goes. I think what plenty of people don't expect is the properly Burgundian nature of a genuinely good Beaujolais. This one hits that mark for me.

Gamay is always going to be different to Pinot Noir. It's simpler, fuller, and richer. But at this level these are all good things. This gives you richness; cherry and plums, spice, lean and well-assembled tannins. It's beautifully dark and fleshy, but with complexity and weight about it. It's not Pinot, but at $25 I outright challenge anyone to find a more enjoyable or complex $50 Burgundy proper. It may even beat most $75 Burgundies.

It doesn't have the elegance of a pinot, sure. But every other thing you'd get from a good Burgundy is here for $25, and that's plenty for me

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I love Tassie Pinot. Second best in Aus IMO...and while I am not a denier, Tassie would have suited syrah regardless. Holm Oak know this, theirs is a ball tearer in the St Joseph style and has been around a while now. (Unrelated, totally should have asked out their rep when I was in the gig.....sigh). The Glaetzer-Dixon syrah won the Jimmy Watson years ago now. Anyway, no doubt it's partly climate and partly people joining the party a little late.

Obviously I'm out of the game but I'm kinda sad to hear that 15% wines are the direction we're going. A few years ago I was quite hopeful of a trend towards slightly lower alcohol, more elegant wines.

I also don't know that whites are a huge issue. I am 100% confident, for eg, that Canberra riesling is only going to get better. We're also adding marsanne, rousanne, albarino, some cracker arneis...and obviously viognier does wildly well here. I feel like riesling has a safe future in Australia regardless, personally. Canberra, Tassie, Adelaide Hills and Tumbarumba (fires aside), Orange, Southern Highlands, Victoria, southern WA....It'll be ok. Semillon, too, in the Hunter at least will be ok IMO. Cool climate chardy will thrive in Canberra, Tumburumba et al (fires aside), parts of Victoria and WA and obviously Tassie.

I don't disagree, mind you. I think that we'll have to reassess what regions we get certain wines from, absolutely. And that we'll definitely see a trend back towards more old world varietals as things change...both in the vineyard and in the market.

I think that Mediterranean reds especially are taking off more and that's a good thing, because I think we have plenty of regions that can grow them well in the right quantities (ie because nebbiolo is never going to outsell shiraz, but can and will sell enough to be a worthwhile venture in the right areas). I'd love to see stuff like saperavi and other cool to middling climate grapes get more of a foothold, too. Even Malbec, which is obviously more common these days but I still think would do well in a Cahors style in certain sites in regions like Canberra and parts of Victoria for eg, or in a South American style in some of the more coastal cool regions.

We've been stuck on shiraz and cabernet for far too long. In many ways this summer has been a disaster, but in others it's kind of exciting.

The lighter styles are definitely in. A lot of 12.5% to 13.5% wines coming through.

The blended 14.9% is a pure COG’s play - things are so expensive these days.

Riesling is struggling in Clare. Sam Barry told me they’re down due to the heat. The vines are suffering. Eden is in the same place. It’s just not able to weather the heat.

Not excited by v20 at all, TBH. Margaret River is only region producing a decent quality crop.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Grabbed an 8 Lari ($4 AUD) bottle of wine on a whim the other night. Surprisingly good.

Deadset, this country is wine heaven.

2013 Nick O’Leary Bolaro Shiraz. Picked up many years ago from Plonk in Fyshwick. Tannin has almost entirely fallen away, still a little bit of grip on the palate but you need to concentrate. Secondary Shiraz characteristics dominate, leather at the forefront then cigar box and bitter dark chocolate. A lick of black currant, but that’s it.

Delicious

Serafino BDX 2012. Getting back into my wine, tucking into some of my back vintages.

Definitely a wine I would of preferred around 2017-18. Taste is still good, but as a blend of Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Carmenere, and Merlot, I would of liked a bit more fruit profile. Very herbal and savoury, still drinking well but definitely towards the end of its life.

Bazal

Post Whore
This lockdown is gonna make me fat.

So much wine to drink. And so much stress. And cannot exercise properly because my knee is rooted.

This lockdown is gonna make me fat.

So much wine to drink. And so much stress. And cannot exercise properly because my knee is rooted.

giphy.gif

Bazal

Post Whore

Well, since you're so welcoming...

2016 MollyDooker Blue Eyed Boy shiraz. McLaren Vale

A little while ago my local Dans were clearing it for $30. So obviously I bought the lot, because f**king $30??? For this?

I expect it to open up, so will save half for tomorrow (plus I have to go into the office at 730 to get stuff, and this is not a lightweight). But early impressions...

Plum juice. My goodness. A big, dark, svelte thing, quite sweet and fruit forward, all black and red plums. It's easily over 15% ABV but I can't tell until it goes down, when you get a slight prickling on the top of the tongue. There's spice as well, cardamom and anise, which I hope will develop as it breathes.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've never been much of a red wine drinker, but the Georgian semi-sweet reds are making a believer out of me. Where has this been all my life?

Bazal

Post Whore
Cheap imports are where I’m drinking at the moment. Bought a lot of stuff, and now keen to let it rest.

So, drinking what is good for the price.

Had cut right back, but winter and this self isolation with four kids is making me a little more thirsty...

I've got stuff ready to drink, which is nice. But I'm gonna get fat. I can't even do cardio...I was also not really drinking cos between breaking my foot and tearing the shit out of my other knee in the last 8 months, I was struggling to stay under 90kg.

Polished off the Mollydooker tonight. Not gonna age as long as you might expect, was starting to fade quickly.

Eyeing off a Tertini Pinot Meunier or one of several Tassie pinots next

Bazal

Post Whore
Tertini Hilltops Shiraz. I think it's 2017, but the bottle is in the kitchen and I CBF.

Any merkin in Canberra, Farrah's Liquor have this (unless they've sold out) for $11.99 a bottle. It's $28 at the cellar door. So there's that.

Tertini and Artemis are my favourite two Southern Highlands wineries, and these days they genuinely do some seriously f**king good wines up there.

I'm 95% sure this fruit comes from Grove Estate, but I base that purely on tasting it. Brilliant on the nose, layered cherry, plum, green pepper and chocolate. Everything distinct, but also flowing into the next in that order. It only sees a year or less in seasoned French oak, so the chocolate is a great undertone behind the fruit and that lick of pepper. After a few sniffs it starts to get a slightly stony character that I really like.

In the mouth, wow. The most impressive thing is the poise and the weight of it. All the right flavours are there; cherry and slightly tart plum, a little savoury game meat hint, a bit of dry bramble, not much oak. It's very bright and soft, but it's definitely serious. The weight is bang on, it flows over your tongue and right into the corners of your mouth. There's great length, but the tannin and acid at the end is just right to give you that salivating effect and make you want more.

As a wine that's mostly about the fruit quality I think they've hit it into orbit by not messing with it too much. Steel ferment, minimal oak, bottle. It's gorgeous, the way it lingers but makes you want more all at once. It's so Rhone in the way it feels and the way it hits your palate.

TLDR, if you're in Canberra, Farrah's will deliver you the red wine bargain of your life by the case. And if you're not, it's still happily worth cellar door price.

Bazal

Post Whore
Clonakilla O'Riada Shiraz, 2010.

Pretty sure I've written about this in here before, but I'm bored and drinking. And also I think it'd be kinda cool to taste it, write some bullshit, then go back and find it and see how it's changed or whatever.

This is actually a pretty ordinary vintage, relatively speaking. Cold and wet and I think a 6/10 from memory?

Anyway, 9 years on and this is still lively. 5% viognier this vintage. Nose is sappy, indicative of whole bunch press. I always thought it was at least partly bunch pressed, but I just realised I've never actually confirmed it? Loads of green pepper and that classic Rotie prosciutto note Tim does so very well, along with violet and clove. Not a mass of fruit on the nose, but that's classic Clonakilla.

In the mouth the green pepper is big, along with that game meat character. The fruit is kind of a supporting player in this. It's like a charcuterie board with a touch of cherry jam. Maybe a bit of beetroot, and then violets scattered on top. Is that wanky enough? I dunno. It's delicious and elegant as f**k. If you plonked this in front a French chef and told them it was an Hermitage or a high-end St Joseph they'd hon-hon in agreement.

TLDR if you ever wanted to try the big boy Shiraz Viognier but didn't want to fork out like 110 bucks, get this for $36.

Bazal

Post Whore
This evening is an experiment of sorts, from when I was able to do that. @Scott Gourley's Lovechild and @Drew-Sta might find it interdasting.

2003 Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto. One of my favourite Italian wines, I drank sooo much of it at the wine bar in the upstairs bit of the Florence market in 2018 (not the 2003 obvs). This one was supposed to have a life up to 12 years but I disagreed. So I nabbed one of the Negs rep and put it in the little wine fridge where I keep stuff I want to forget about.

Will report back once it's opened up....but just by the nose I can say I love being right quite a lot.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Let me know how it goes, @Bazal . I'm drinking Colonel and Merchant Barossa Shiraz. Unoaked shiraz, which is fresh and enjoyable.