What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Corporation

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I hope so.

don’t jump to conclusions we have to wait and see on many things at the moment.

Just remember it is possible that we emerge from this with 100% WIN ownership, or 0%. Or no club at all.

Possibly...... If WIN lose,
We ( the fans) win?
We can only hope so.

J.moz

Juniors
Good work wincorp we now under your ownership have lost 1 of our own in friz . You keep mary but lose a junior dragon and Australian blues legend.

merahputih

Juniors
Does anyone understand the financial mess the club is supposed to be in? Gould has stated a couple of his recommendations could not be implemented because the club "didn't have the money for it" ?. Mary can't be sacked for the same reason. How does a club backed by a large, rich media organisation with the boss' son on the board get into this position?
If a public company was run like this circus they would call in the administrators.

TruSaint

Referee
Does anyone understand the financial mess the club is supposed to be in? Gould has stated a couple of his recommendations could not be implemented because the club "didn't have the money for it" ?. Mary can't be sacked for the same reason. How does a club backed by a large, rich media organisation with the boss' son on the board get into this position?
If a public company was run like this circus they would call in the administrators.

To be fair, the mess was there before Gordon , but the question should be asked now as to what he intends to do.

Dragon David

First Grade
I know that we cannot turn back time to when Paul Smith’s Total Sport and Entertainment wanted to buy into the club. I think had those who make these decisions selected Paul Smith, we would be in a much better position today with a different coach, better footy results and us fans being happy. The financial mess we are supposed to be in may not have eventuated.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
How does a club backed by a large, rich media organisation with the boss' son on the board get into this position?
Whilst this is a good question, it’s not as easy as asking them for more money, because:

a) the club was in financial strife before they came on board, the Gordon’s just eliminated the debt burden

b) As it’s a joint venture, it’s unfair to ask just one side of the venture to pay up to sack Mary. It should be 50/50

c) Further to that point, the issue (Mr McGregor) was initially signed, and subsequently re-signed, by multiple CEOs who were also members of the St George Leagues Club board. Why does the new guy have to stump up 100% of the costs for something that was 0% of his doing?

Old Timer

Coach
The essential question now is not looking at the past and asking what if, it is actually about looking the problem square in the eye and asking what now.

The trouble as I see it is that management don't perceive we have a problem (as they have a plan of their own) and they don't even remotely acknowledge they have a tin ear when it comes to part of the fan base namely St George pre JV.

If St George was to disappear altogether and it becomes Illawarra Dragons for instance then mission accomplished for Gordon and part of the fan base namely Steelers pre JV.

I suspect that the thought process for the Gordon's is continued medium term pain for the disenfranchised St George die hards and ultimately the long term gain of the Illawarra faithful who are well accustomed to the current situation and they possibly believe that something better is just around the corner.

For me being a long term St George fan it feels like having the life strangled out of you very slowly by a Boa constrictor who will then devour you leaving no trace all in his own good time.

Mc Fookknuckle's continued support & survival just reinforces my theory.

TruSaint

Referee
Whilst this is a good question, it’s not as easy as asking them for more money, because:

a) the club was in financial strife before they came on board, the Gordon’s just eliminated the debt burden

b) As it’s a joint venture, it’s unfair to ask just one side of the venture to pay up to sack Mary. It should be 50/50

c) Further to that point, the issue (Mr McGregor) was initially signed, and subsequently re-signed, by multiple CEOs who were also members of the St George Leagues Club board. Why does the new guy have to stump up 100% of the costs for something that was 0% of his doing?

I agree with points a.) and b.).

Re c.), mate it may be in his interest as well to do something as the opportunity cost of doing nothing, is greater for everyone. To be honest Im not sure what the STG side of the JV can offer financially. A league club loan ? Maybe. But they have limited their investment last few years.

Others here may know if the Saints side of the JV is financially able to help.

Put it this way, leaving matters as they are right now will set the club back years.

Reflector

Juniors
How is it that a club with the supporter base of the Dragons doesn't have at least one Nick Politis out there who could invest their money into the place and do with the club what Saint Nick has done with Easts?

With the right backer/s, I'm convinced that St George have a strong enough brand, a big enough pre JV supporter base and enough history to return to being a standalone entity playing at Jubilee Oval full-time. I wonder if St George Bank would ever consider buying into part of this entity, because the name/ colours are a perfect fit.

TruSaint

Referee
How is it that a club with the supporter base of the Dragons doesn't have at least one Nick Politis out there who could invest their money into the place and do with the club what Saint Nick has done with Easts?

With the right backer/s, I'm convinced that St George have a strong enough brand, a big enough pre JV supporter base and enough history to return to being a standalone entity playing at Jubilee Oval full-time. I wonder if St George Bank would ever consider buying into part of this entity, because the name/ colours are a perfect fit.

If you are talking about financial might, Gordon is worth AUD 200 mil more than Nick. His company though, Win Corp, only has a 50% stake in the JV. Politis controls everything at the chooks. Its not about financial clout.

SBD82

Coach
The essential question now is not looking at the past and asking what if, it is actually about looking the problem square in the eye and asking what now.

The trouble as I see it is that management don't perceive we have a problem (as they have a plan of their own) and they don't even remotely acknowledge they have a tin ear when it comes to part of the fan base namely St George pre JV.

If St George was to disappear altogether and it becomes Illawarra Dragons for instance then mission accomplished for Gordon and part of the fan base namely Steelers pre JV.

I suspect that the thought process for the Gordon's is continued medium term pain for the disenfranchised St George die hards and ultimately the long term gain of the Illawarra faithful who are well accustomed to the current situation and they possibly believe that something better is just around the corner.

For me being a long term St George fan it feels like having the life strangled out of you very slowly by a Boa constrictor who will then devour you leaving no trace all in his own good time.

Mc Fookknuckle's continued support & survival just reinforces my theory.
What an absolutely steaming pile of dog shit.

Just because cranky old merkins like you want to get rid of the Steelers doesn’t mean that the Illawarra side of the faction is trying to do away with the Dragons.

You’re literally describing the inversion of what you want, attributing that opinion to old Steelers supporters and then castigating them for it

f**k your divisive bullshit. We should be united in our criticism of the governance from both sides of the JV, and trying to get rid of this piece of shit coach, who, incidentally, was appointed by a St george CEO under a majority St George board.

Old Timer

Coach

Just because cranky old merkins like you want to get rid of the Steelers doesn’t mean that the Illawarra side of the faction is trying to do away with the Dragons.

You’re literally describing the inversion of what you want, attributing that opinion to old Steelers supporters and then castigating them for it

f**k your divisive bullshit. We should be united in our criticism of the governance from both sides of the JV, and trying to get rid of this piece of shit coach, who, incidentally, was appointed by a St george CEO under a majority St George board.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Re c.), mate it may be in his interest as well to do something as the opportunity cost of doing nothing, is greater for everyone. To be honest Im not sure what the STG side of the JV can offer financially. A league club loan ? Maybe. But they have limited their investment last few years.

Put it this way, leaving matters as they are right now will set the club back years.
Agree.. we have to do something..

Maybe Uncle Bruce can stump up $400k from his spare change to pay Mary out whilst Saints can give him a job on the door or in the TAB?

Old Timer

Coach

That is in only your opinion only re the Illawarra faction and you fail to acknowledge I have been deeply critical of the St George side of the JV on previous occasions.

You seem to miss the point I am putting it on the Gordon's (who are the money end of the deal after all) and their "tin ear" as to what they are hearing but that's ok we know you also have a comprehension problem and that I need to make allowances for that.

Best you don't go over to JA as there are some thoughts there much stronger than mine from a long time and well respected poster that might lead you to a real hissy fit as to what is potentially going on.

SBD82

Coach
That is in only your opinion only re the Illawarra faction and you fail to acknowledge I have been deeply critical of the St George side of the JV on previous occasions.

You seem to miss the point I am putting it on the Gordon's (who are the money end of the deal after all) and their "tin ear" as to what they are hearing but that's ok we know you also have a comprehension problem and that I need to make allowances for that.

Best you don't go over to JA as there are some thoughts there much stronger than mine from a long time and well respected poster that might lead you to a real hissy fit as to what is potentially going on.
Your words:

BLM01

First Grade

Owning a rugby league club doesn’t really give a lot of return to the investor why would anyone invest in it you got your hands in your pockets all the time With little or no profit