What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential NRL clubs "the Purge"

I disagree.

Perfect timing to cut some teams & not blame the NRL for that decision.

If we don’t rationalise after this, they never will.

The sooner the Gold Coast folds the better and just replace them with another team operating out of Suncorp.

This must be the first ever post mentioning folding, amalgamating, relocating or just plain disappearing that hasn't resulted in large scale communal wrist-slitting. Things must be looking up!

Special K

Coach
The timing here has worked out for us. As long as construction keeps going ahead. I want to be back home sooner than later.

The nrl will want the red v and the st george name.

St George cronulla sharks.

Ugh

Never going to happen now.

Future is very bright for the Sharks.

For once the stars are aligning for us.

That Golf Club purchased if given the green light by liquor and gaming is an amazing deal for us. Just heard the Dino interview on the Shark Cast. The property is valued waaay more than what we purchased it for. Smart buy by the board. More please!!

snout

First Grade
5 teams in qld.
Storm
Warriors
Perth
One team in Sydney - the Sharks. The new powerhouse.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Bought the golf club for a steal.... currently worth less than but hard to know. Love to know who valued the club and how long ago

Weaponhead

Coach
Was pretty impressed bu the Dino interview tbh (On Sharks website).... makes Bazza look like a gimp.
He spoke well but I would have liked to see him bag Chad, SJ and Jack Williams for terrible performances against the Storm. No such thing as brave losses. Take your lead from the game day thread. Lift ya game, Dino.

Stake Removed

First Grade
And with the club cashed up, we might be able to make some very good strategic purchases, example the golf club, just might find some more become available

ghoti

Bench
If someone can afford to take over the game I think it bodes well for Rugby league in Oz.. rather than stick to this top tier licensed approach I think this is a good opportunity to set up two tiers so all clubs can survive and attempt to rebuild in the shitshow that will be the next couple years. No one needs to die, just set strict standards for a 12 team comp and slightly less strict standards for the second tier comp. That also gives the expansion bids the chance to grow something competitive. Promotion relegation and standard setting looks after the rest.

Clubs that are likely to be f**ked by this like Manly or Penrith can rebuild their structures in tier 2, central coast, Perth, brisbane2, PNG, Fiji etc can set up squads... Newtown, Norths, etc can all try to requalify for the NRL... .

Imo RL works best when it let's itself be what it is ... Smaller stadiums, lower budgets... Thin out all the extraneous bullshit. Back to one ref, no bunker, suburban grounds .. and look this is the commie in me talkin, but I'd f**ken love to see player wages standardised so none of this $1mil for Ashley fkn Taylor type shit happens again.

It's a great opportunity to normalise the NRL. Someone make me CEO of this game I've had 4 beers and feel like a genius right now

Sharkman

Juniors
@ghoti I think you’re close to the mark. 4 beers in and I’m on the soapbox with you :joy:

Ive always thought the tiered approach is the way to ensure a club, and everything within the community it stands for, is able to be sustained regardless of onfield performance.

It plays on the one thing every sports fan has, hope. You hope your team is good enough to stay in top tier, you hope you’re good enough to win 2nd tier and get promoted. You hope you don’t get demoted from top tier.

Maybe the world becomes less about trying operate everything like a ruthless business out for bucks and more community spirited after all this shite.

Latest posts