What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to crack out Arko's ARL blueprint

TheRam

Coach
So what will it take to make them profitable ?

To move them so they play somewhere central in the northern suburbs of Sydney on a train line and change their name to reflect that, but keep the colours and Sea Eagle emblem for continuity and not disenfranchise the current fan base for a start.

Then make a massive monetary and time commitment to all the schools and people of ALL the region to show that you truly are their team and that you are part of the whole northern suburbs community. That you value them and want them to feel welcome as their representative in the greatest game of all. Love all the people and they will love you back.

Also once you do that and you have shown the sporting world of your professionalism, commitment and desire, lobby the Gov massively and relentlessly, by getting the NRL, any well known high profile(which there are many in Manly's camp) and now the larger community of supporters that you will have to build you a Parra style stadium.

Any of that been done since the Bears kicked the sh*t pile? No? Well there you go then, and some here want to debate about Manly deserving to exist or not. I say burn them down. But the area is strategically to important to let it go, so like a Phoenix from the ashes bring in a franchise with all the qualities of the above said and watch it thrive. We need a team like when the Western Sydney Warriors first arrived on the scene. That admin had its head screwed on the right way. They knew how to gain a fan base. Why does League find it so freakin difficult?

Make all the right noise and quality commitment and you will have a winner.

T-Boon

Coach
North Sydney Eagles would work long term. North Sydney is a great city. The fans from around there would travel by train to other parts of Sydney to watch their team. Manly is a ridiculous place for a Northern suburbs team.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Until it’s your club.

Are you seriously going to say you’d be happy for the Raiders to be punted?

If the Raiders ever get to a point where they simply cannot compete and have become a burden on the competition that is stunting it's growth and preventing progress, like a lot of the smaller Sydney clubs are now, then you can bet your arse that I'd prefer that the Raiders drop down to a tier where they are competitive and can actually do some good.

Nothing lasts forever, and it's better to know when it's time and move on with some dignity then to try to desperately hold onto the past at the expense of yourself and others. You never want to be that guy that plays on for a few to many seasons and ruins their legacy in the process.

TheRam

Coach
North Sydney Eagles would work long term. North Sydney is a great city. The fans from around there would travel by train to other parts of Sydney to watch their team. Manly is a ridiculous place for a Northern suburbs team.

I was think more central. Like around Chatswood.

flippikat

Bench
To move them so they play somewhere central in the northern suburbs of Sydney on a train line and change their name to reflect that, but keep the colours and Sea Eagle emblem for continuity and not disenfranchise the current fan base for a start.

Then make a massive monetary and time commitment to all the schools and people of ALL the region to show that you truly are their team and that you are part of the whole northern suburbs community. That you value them and want them to feel welcome as their representative in the greatest game of all. Love all the people and they will love you back.

Also once you do that and you have shown the sporting world of your professionalism, commitment and desire, lobby the Gov massively and relentlessly, by getting the NRL, any well known high profile(which there are many in Manly's camp) and now the larger community of supporters that you will have to build you a Parra style stadium.

Any of that been done since the Bears kicked the sh*t pile? No? Well there you go then, and some here want to debate about Manly deserving to exist or not. I say burn them down. But the area is strategically to important to let it go, so like a Phoenix from the ashes bring in a franchise with all the qualities of the above said and watch it thrive. We need a team like when the Western Sydney Warriors first arrived on the scene. That admin had its head screwed on the right way. They knew how to gain a fan base. Why does League find it so freakin difficult?

Make all the right noise and quality commitment and you will have a winner.

If Norths - representing ALL Sydney north of the bridge - come back to the NRL (in a more central stadium) & Sea Eagles fly off to Gosford - leaving the peninsula to Norths, I could go for that.

TheRam

Coach
If the Raiders ever get to a point where they simply cannot compete and have become a burden on the competition that is stunting it's growth and preventing progress, like a lot of the smaller Sydney clubs are now, then you can bet your arse that I'd prefer that the Raiders drop down to a tier where they are competitive and can actually do some good.

Nothing lasts forever, and it's better to know when it's time and move on with some dignity then to try to desperately hold onto the past at the expense of yourself and others. You never want to be that guy that plays on for a few to many seasons and ruins their legacy in the process.

Hopefully that will never happen to the Raiders and that they will only get bigger, stronger and better. Especially if they get the Stadium up and running in the city not the boondocks. That is imperative on the fortunes of the Raiders going forward. If they get it wrong, then their overall growth will be stymied substantially and that AFL wanker knows that and that is why he is looking towards the boondocks as the preferred option and will justify it as the sensible option.

The Great Dane

First Grade
So what will it take to make them profitable ?

There're a lot of ways that a club can go about that, but I think most would agree that the best place to start is to work to increase membership, ticket, and merchandise sales.

In Manly's case memberships and gate are pretty stagnate, and they'd probably need to almost triple both to really make something of themselves.

And he’d be happy for the Raiders to go as well.

guess what, we’ll end up with a bunch of teams no one gives a shit about.

that works well for Rugby Union doesn’t it:bulb:

We already have a bunch of teams that nobody gives a shit about!

The vast majority of RL's fan base in this country can't be arsed to attend games on a regular basis or regularly spend their had earned on their favourite club, that is how little your average RL 'fan' cares about the sport or their favorite club.

Maybe if their clubs place in the competition or it's existence was threatened then they'd be shocked into caring a enough to actually try to do something for the club. It worked for Souths.

Also RU's problems in this country are because of the structure of the competition and the product it's self, not the clubs.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Wollongong has a population of almost 300,000. There isn't another game in town. No reason the Dragons couldn't regularly draw solid crowds with a full-time move there.

If you were going to relocate a club, and you had the option to relocate it anywhere, would you really choose Wollongong (or for that matter the Central Coast) over Brisbane, Perth, or Adelaide?

I'm not knocking Wollongong, but let's be realistic, the NRL really doesn't need anymore regional clubs while there are metropolitan markets without representation.

I don't think that relocations would work in the NRL anyway. The clubs would try to have their cake and eat it too by trying to represent both markets at the same time and it'd slowly kill the club.

Coastbloke

Bench
I agree but I don't think there is a suitable stadium site. North Sydney oval is probably the best existing ground and easy to get to.

Not sure I'd agree there. North Sydney Oval is too far away from any rail station. Bus is the only option. I went to a 50th a couple of years ago at the Greens Bowlo club adjacent to NSO and parked a couple of blocks away lol.

Chatswood oval probably doesn't have enough land outside the actual playing area for a new 15,000-20,000 seater stadium. Current capacity is 8,700. In it's favour is a major Rail station across the road and pretty much a zillion bus services..It's also a cricket ground, but cricket could move to Beauchamp (?) Park...

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Not sure I'd agree there. North Sydney Oval is too far away from any rail station. Bus is the only option. I went to a 50th a couple of years ago at the Greens Bowlo club adjacent to NSO and parked a couple of blocks away lol.

Chatswood oval probably doesn't have enough land outside the actual playing area for a new 15,000-20,000 seater stadium. Current capacity is 8,700. In it's favour is a major Rail station across the road and pretty much a zillion bus services..It's also a cricket ground, but cricket could move to Beauchamp (?) Park...

id suggest the local demographic wouldn’t care too much for an nrl team on many levels at Chatswood.

the railway line is a huge bonus. It’s a great precinct for entertainment before and after games

T-Boon

Coach

Really? It cant be more than a 10 minute walk from station to oval.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Basically because they make money and that more important - far more important than having a national footprint. And not only does the commission recognise this but the networks recognise this as well.

no they dont, they lose money and need bailing out every year.
Don’t confuse lethargy and lack of vision for enthusiasm for a particular club. If you think a small suburban club in an over crowded market is potentially more important to nrl, sponsors and tv than a big city club like say the Melbourne Storm your kidding yourself.

north Sydney region needs a club that the whole region can get behind, manly isn’t it.

tri_colours

Juniors
no they dont, they lose money and need bailing out every year.
Don’t confuse lethargy and lack of vision for enthusiasm for a particular club. If you think a small suburban club in an over crowded market is potentially more important to nrl, sponsors and tv than a big city club like say the Melbourne Storm your kidding yourself.

north Sydney region needs a club that the whole region can get behind, manly isn’t it.

So you think there doing all This out of spite or laziness.? Do you actually belief that???????????.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If you were going to relocate a club, and you had the option to relocate it anywhere, would you really choose Wollongong (or for that matter the Central Coast) over Brisbane, Perth, or Adelaide?

I'm not knocking Wollongong, but let's be realistic, the NRL really doesn't need anymore regional clubs while there are metropolitan markets without representation.

I don't think that relocations would work in the NRL anyway. The clubs would try to have their cake and eat it too by trying to represent both markets at the same time and it'd slowly kill the club.

Oh, not even a little bit. Perth, Central Coast, Brisbane 2, Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin, and Wellington would all be leagues ahead of Wollongong.

I was more thinking along the lines of if we were just looking to cull Sydney teams, they have a ready made “But we’re not a Sydney team” backup.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Basically because they make money and that more important - far more important than having a national footprint. And not only does the commission recognise this but the networks recognise this as well.

Well, they don't make money though, they have a dump of a ground that is only fit for park footy, they have dwindling crowds and they refuse to spread their wings (no pun intended) and embrace the wider North Sydney area. A club like that is perfect for NSW Cup, not the NRL.

Latest posts