What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye friz

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Have we missed Dugan, packer, Mann,McDonald.
No.

Well, I dunno about that that.

Compare the one’s who’ve left against the incumbents:

Dugan (fullback) vs Lomax or Dufty

Mann (centre) vs Aitken or Lafai

Packer (prop) vs Graham

TBF, Packer has been beset by injury but who’s to say he wouldn’t have been impacted to the same level at Saints?

MacDonald (wing) vs Ravalawa.

I’d argue that three out of four are better than what Saints currently use.

matPORTS

Juniors
Good luck to Tyson in his next career move. He has been a good servant to the Dragons in trying circumstances and has established himself as a full time representative player whilst here.

Now that official statements have been made by both clubs...

It's going to be very interesting test case for the NRL this one. Pay cuts are going to happen, it's inevitable. A snowball effect of this will be re-distribution of talent between the clubs. No doubt if the comp does get restarted at some point this year, there will have to be some sort of re-distribution of talent.

I say the Dragons need to move fast here.

If I'm managing the club, then Tyson has played his last game in a Red V. Two options:

Don't ever play him again (should the comp restart) and give the young players a run in the shortened comp.

Negotiate his early release to the Knights and free up the necessary cap space to take as much advantage of any talent re-distribution that may take place before the comp restarts (if it does restart).

We have nothing to lose now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Speaking last month on his playing future, Frizell had stressed the importance of winning a premiership as being a defining factor of his choice.

"People know that I'm looking to win a premiership hopefully and play finals footy. That's what we do it for," he said.

That sez it all.

possm

Coach

Packer (prop) vs Graham

TBF, Packer has been beset by injury but who’s to say he wouldn’t have been impacted to the same level at Saints?

But Millward is doing a fine jo:
  • Good at recruitment
  • Good at player retention
  • Good at pathways management
  • Good at salary cap management
  • Good for nothing
God give me strength!

possm

Coach
Good luck to Tyson in his next career move. He has been a good servant to the Dragons in trying circumstances and has established himself as a full time representative player whilst here.

Now that official statements have been made by both clubs...

It's going to be very interesting test case for the NRL this one. Pay cuts are going to happen, it's inevitable. A snowball effect of this will be re-distribution of talent between the clubs. No doubt if the comp does get restarted at some point this year, there will have to be some sort of re-distribution of talent.

I say the Dragons need to move fast here.

If I'm managing the club, then Tyson has played his last game in a Red V. Two options:

Don't ever play him again (should the comp restart) and give the young players a run in the shortened comp.

Negotiate his early release to the Knights and free up the necessary cap space to take as much advantage of any talent re-distribution that may take place before the comp restarts (if it does restart).

We have nothing to lose now.
NRL has said no new contracts to be registered until futher notice. Maybe Frizell and his manager got this signing done in time, Millward certainly did not get a replacement signed in time. Fifita from the Broncos should be our target using cap from Frizell, Graham and De Belin. Get on with it Millward.

Absolutely predictable.
Frizell bailing underscores the deep ceded problem with our club.
Our main aim should be to win premierships, not just make the finals and have a good season.
There is a huge difference in mindset and we are just not focused on the big prize.
Speculative options at coach since Bennett - partly to save money.
Hoping against hope that McGregor would develop into a top line first grade coach.
Exacerbating that decision with two unjustified extensions.
So not only did we never look like title contenders (even in 2018) but we also failed to make the finals.
Frizell was loyal and patient and waited for things to turn around but it never happened.
2019 was the straw that broke the camel's back.
He can see that a title with STGI is a pipedream in the current set up so, time to move on.
Can't blame him and good luck to him at Newcastle.
It is really starting to annoy me that Graham is anointed as the club media liaison.
Don't we have a well spoken player in our ranks that can do us justice in front of the media?
His comments are just dumb.
Frizell is not choosing Newcastle over St. George Illawarra.
He is choosing a chance to succeed over certain failure.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dragons update - Tyson Frizell
Author
Dragons.com.audragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 27 Mar 2020, 10:07 AM
St George Illawarra have provided the following update on off-contract back-rower Tyson Frizell, who has advised the club he has agreed to terms with another NRL club.

"Tyson Frizell received one of the most substantial offers in St George Illawarra history to remain at the club beyond the 2020 season," Director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward said.

"It was a deal that reflected his contribution over the past eight years, and of course, the seasons that would have followed. We made responsible decisions when determining Tyson's value and contract extension.

"Tyson's decision to depart the Dragons at season's end will now allow the club to pursue other quality players in the marketplace."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/03/27/dragons-update-frizell/
Am I reading a case of sour grapes there?

Obviously the "substantial offer" wasn't enough to keep the Club captain.

sa1nt5

Juniors

Packer (prop) vs Graham

Don’t forget Joel Thompson, Reuben Garrick, and to a lesser extent Matt Prior

denis preston

First Grade
Absolutely predictable.
Frizell bailing underscores the deep ceded problem with our club.
Our main aim should be to win premierships, not just make the finals and have a good season.
There is a huge difference in mindset and we are just not focused on the big prize.
Speculative options at coach since Bennett - partly to save money.
Hoping against hope that McGregor would develop into a top line first grade coach.
Exacerbating that decision with two unjustified extensions.
So not only did we never look like title contenders (even in 2018) but we also failed to make the finals.
Frizell was loyal and patient and waited for things to turn around but it never happened.
2019 was the straw that broke the camel's back.
He can see that a title with STGI is a pipedream in the current set up so, time to move on.
Can't blame him and good luck to him at Newcastle.
It is really starting to annoy me that Graham is anointed as the club media liaison.
Don't we have a well spoken player in our ranks that can do us justice in front of the media?
His comments are just dumb.
Frizell is not choosing Newcastle over St. George Illawarra.
He is choosing a chance to succeed over certain failure.

Was i hearing things or did graham say he had next year to play as well ?

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Dragons thrashed the Knights in a pre-season Trial. The only matchwinners that the Dragons have had over the past few years have been Widdop and Dufty. Frizell typically just ran at defensive walls. More is needed than brute strength.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Am I reading a case of sour grapes there?

Obviously the "substantial offer" wasn't enough to keep the Club captain.

“Tyson's decision to depart the Dragons at season's end will now allow the club to pursue other quality players in the marketplace."

Yes Willow, this captain’s not going down with the ship.

Andrew Gordon’s judgment is shot.

No “quality players” will come to our Club with Waterboy as ‘coach’
More defections will follow until he’s gone.