What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 and beyond

John Hamblin

Juniors
The 2020 season may be dead and buried we all hope that we will see more games this year but who knows? Who will be cut at the end of the year. We can probably start with Aekins, Ellis and MWZ.

OldPanther

Coach
Yeah the fringe guys in reserve grade move around a lot. IF Aekins chooses to go he'd probably get a first grade spot for a bit.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I believe that the new model will mean players are semi professional. The game has taken a huge hit. I can see this as being a good thing. Grounding the players.

The salary cap with be at least halved.

Frizzell's contract was done with monoploy money. It is meaningless. No way will he get all of that money.

Kilkenny

Coach
I believe that the new model will mean players are semi professional. The game has taken a huge hit. I can see this as being a good thing. Grounding the players.

Frizzell's contract was done with monoploy money. It is meaningless. No way will he get all of that money.
I don’t think the cap will be halved but i would think it wii have to be reduced in the short term until our financial woes recover somewhat.

I think the game and salary’s are largely driven by the market but I agree there are players in the game that are paid for too much those on the $1M and then there are other’s in a team’s 30 man squad who are paid a relative pittance in the scheme of things.

If the cap is reduced, sadly in will be the fringe players and not the marquee’s who will bear the brunt.

Looking at our own cap management in recent years it is apparent the likes of RCG and Blake as two examples who were probably resigned on money well in excess of there true worth.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
[QUOTE="Dave's mate, post: 14062280, member: 50481

We should be open to a merger with Parra tho if the NRL really takes the opportunity to dhake up the comp[/QUOTE]

I understand that train of thought but mergers have never really worked.

For an old timer like me I couldn’t bear the thought of the Western Sydney Panthers or Eels I would be lost to the game it just wouldn’t be the same. Having said that if you take the older fans out of the equation then perhaps in time a generation or two down the track then the new generation of fans would know no different.

I don’t even like to think of mergers as a solution but that’s just me being selfish I guess.

Even if the cap went down by 60-70% there’s still enough money there for them to be full time professionals.

Top players would earn around 200-250k, average would be around 100k.

The current crisis is unusual in that there’s a singular problem holding back economic activity. Once that problem is lifted, there will be a significant rebound. It’s not going to get back to normal straight away, but it will happen faster than a similar economic downturn that has several causes.

Kilkenny

Coach
You’ve probably all seen it.

If my link doesn’t work I’m sure Old Panther could rectify my failings. The video is on You Tube google the Simpson explain the NRL and enjoy. It’s very clever.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The players aren't going to be semi pro, cut that bullshit right now.

We should be open to a merger with Parra tho if the NRL really takes the opportunity to dhake up the comp

I don't think it's bullshit. Most companies won't be in a position to sponsor clubs. The clubs themselves will be one their knees. No money comming in.

Staffs will be trimmed down to their bare bones. Maybe some of the bigger earner players might be able to remain fulltime professionals. Those underneath I'm doubtful. There will be little or no money about. The guts has been ripped out of the world economy.

If clubs think they are going to get academies built with govt money they will be on hold bigtime.

This isn't a little hiccup. It's a whole shutdown.

I'm not normally one who thinks negatively, but with what has occured. I believe the NRL short term when they come back will be semi professional.

Journeyman players will be playing for a small retainer and a small match fee.

Whino

Bench
I understand that train of thought but mergers have never really worked.

For an old timer like me I couldn’t bear the thought of the Western Sydney Panthers or Eels I would be lost to the game it just wouldn’t be the same. Having said that if you take the older fans out of the equation then perhaps in time a generation or two down the track then the new generation of fans would know no different.

I don’t even like to think of mergers as a solution but that’s just me being selfish I guess.

I am the same. If we go I go. I won't return to the game. I don't care if people think I am one-eyed but that is the way I feel.

franklin2323

Immortal
The players aren't going to be semi pro, cut that bullshit right now.

We should be open to a merger with Parra tho if the NRL really takes the opportunity to dhake up the comp

Parra are worse off then us. Pretty much every team is in the same boat no need to merge

franklin2323

Immortal
Even if the cap went down by 60-70% there’s still enough money there for them to be full time professionals.

Top players would earn around 200-250k, average would be around 100k.

The current crisis is unusual in that there’s a singular problem holding back economic activity. Once that problem is lifted, there will be a significant rebound. It’s not going to get back to normal straight away, but it will happen faster than a similar economic downturn that has several causes.

Let use worst case being Sept as the get back date. 6 months of being locked up at home people will be hanging for footy/a beer at a club. So will make some up then the govt will hand out something even if just a tax break and most losses cancelled out

Kilkenny

Coach
Let use worst case being Sept as the get back date. 6 months of being locked up at home people will be hanging for footy/a beer at a club. So will make some up then the govt will hand out something even if just a tax break and most losses cancelled out

The 3 million persons out of a job may not have the money to go to the footy or enjoy a beer at the club.

Let’s not forget all these so called ‘stimulus’ packages being bandied about is Governments printing money which as has been proved in history is a recipe for disaster.

I don’t think the average joe blow has any idea as yet the financial implications of what is about to be thrust upon us and this could well be worse than anything we have seen in modern history.

franklin2323

Immortal
The 3 million persons out of a job may not have the money to go to the footy or enjoy a beer at the club.

Let’s not forget all these so called ‘stimulus’ packages being bandied about is Governments printing money which as has been proved in history is a recipe for disaster.

I don’t think the average joe blow has any idea as yet the financial implications of what is about to be thrust upon us and this could well be worse than anything we have seen in modern history.

How many of them will have jobs IF the employers don’t go bust? I know many people that have jobs waiting the moment the business opens again... So the key is to limit losses while the doors are closed.

I don’t think the government has either. Dragging it out will just make it worse. Certain tourism based companies won’t recover. Cruise ships will be a thing of the past too.

Pubs/Clubs should be right if the closure is short term or they get the help to cover rent etc

Kilkenny

Coach
How many of them will have jobs IF the employers don’t go bust? I know many people that have jobs waiting the moment the business opens again... So the key is to limit losses while the doors are closed.

I don’t think the government has either. Dragging it out will just make it worse. Certain tourism based companies won’t recover. Cruise ships will be a thing of the past too.

Pubs/Clubs should be right if the closure is short term or they get the help to cover rent etc

This is a really dire situation and I’m not sure people quite realise how dire.

I think we will reach the stage where Governments accross the world will have to embrace the concept of “herd immunity” which sadly will mean many, many deaths but may ultimately save us all from financial ruin.

franklin2323

Immortal
This is a really dire situation and I’m not sure people quite realise how dire.

I think we will reach the stage where Governments accross the world will have to embrace the concept of “herd immunity” which sadly will mean many, many deaths but may ultimately save us all from financial ruin.

We have a very low death rate here. Those that are dying have other issues and may of died due to flu or something.

That is how I see it. We may even have a weaker strain here or something but eventually it needs to get back to normal and we just protect the vunerable while the rest of us go back to our ordinary life.

When they discover that those predictions of 75% getting it was just crazy

Kilkenny

Coach
We have a very low death rate here. Those that are dying have other issues and may of died due to flu or something.

That is how I see it. We may even have a weaker strain here or something but eventually it needs to get back to normal and we just protect the vunerable while the rest of us go back to our ordinary life.

When they discover that those predictions of 75% getting it was just crazy

I don’t disagree but at some point there has to be an exit strategy from the indefinite lockdown scenario or path we are going down.

I do think this pain is going to be with us for some months and any expectations we will rise from it by April 30 or whatever figure you put on it simply isn’t going to happen.

The crazy predications as you put it may have to actually occur in order for us to recover from this virus in order for the society as a whole to build up the necessary immunity to truly recover from it.