What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to crack out Arko's ARL blueprint

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
no they dont, they lose money and need bailing out every year.
Don’t confuse lethargy and lack of vision for enthusiasm for a particular club. If you think a small suburban club in an over crowded market is potentially more important to nrl, sponsors and tv than a big city club like say the Melbourne Storm your kidding yourself.

north Sydney region needs a club that the whole region can get behind, manly isn’t it.

But they never got behind the bears:thinking:

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Well, they don't make money though, they have a dump of a ground that is only fit for park footy, they have dwindling crowds and they refuse to spread their wings (no pun intended) and embrace the wider North Sydney area. A club like that is perfect for NSW Cup, not the NRL.

yes, I would have taken at least one game to Bear Park these past few years. Roosters, Souths or Storm would have been perfect

tri_colours

Juniors
Well, they don't make money though, they have a dump of a ground that is only fit for park footy, they have dwindling crowds and they refuse to spread their wings (no pun intended) and embrace the wider North Sydney area. A club like that is perfect for NSW Cup, not the NRL.

In the First two rounds manly had 2 of the highest ratings PTV games. Regardless of Manly's financial situation , the ratings there providing the NRL with are off greater importance than sides that allow the NRL to brag about having a national footprint.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the First two rounds manly had 2 of the highest ratings PTV games. Regardless of Manly's financial situation , the ratings there providing the NRL with are off greater importance than sides that allow the NRL to brag about having a national footprint.

?. Rd1 they rated 5th of 8.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not to be pedantic but you said they had two of the top rating ptv games, they didn’t at all. They were low in week 1 and ok in week 2.
Tv time slots, how the team are travelling and star attraction of players are much greater relevant variables than the actual club, Brisbane aside.

tri_colours

Juniors
To save a few key strokes maybe . I posted the real number a few posts earlier. But a 242.5K is an impressive PTV average. Especially when you consider the Suns game only got 26k on PTV.

tri_colours

Juniors
Yeh, but since they are below the average for NRL, we can assume that any expansion team will get at least the same ratings...

I.m pretty sure the NRL average last year was around that mark.. l

Im not sure why you think an expansion club would get more. A second Brisbane team maybe.

tri_colours

Juniors
Yeh, but since they are below the average for NRL, we can assume that any expansion team will get at least the same ratings...

I think the PTV average was about that.
I couldn't see an expansion side, with the exception of Brisbane 2 maybe, getting too close to that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To save a few key strokes maybe . I posted the real number a few posts earlier. But a 242.5K is an impressive PTV average. Especially when you consider the Suns game only got 26k on PTV.

haha your comparing to the suns? Why?
Likelihood is you could put any new team in those tv slots in place of manly against those oppositions and get same, maybe even better results if the new team was another storm or broncos.

If you look at the avg audiences for time slots they don’t differ much team by team, that would suggest the majority of viewers are neutrals rather than fans of the two clubs taking part.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I meant we can't lose Manly as RL needs a presence on the Northen Beaches.

manly don’t represent or attract the vast majority of the northern beaches, that’s the big problem. They are taking up a spot and not really offering what the game needs, a club to represent and attract the 1million people of the northern Sydney region.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Sharks and Penrith should never have entered the competition in the first place.

I don't know about Penrith, but the story of the Sharks entry into the NSWRL is a microcosm of everything wrong with RL administration throughout it's existence.

The only reason the Sharks got a licence is because the other clubs wanted to weaken the Dragons, and they got exactly what they wanted, two weak clubs instead of one strong one.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
manly don’t represent or attract the vast majority of the northern beaches, that’s the big problem. They are taking up a spot and not really offering what the game needs, a club to represent and attract the 1million people of the northern Sydney region.

Easy, change their name

tri_colours

Juniors
haha your comparing to the suns? Why?
Likelihood is you could put any new team in those tv slots in place of manly against those oppositions and get same, maybe even better results if the new team was another storm or broncos.

If you look at the avg audiences for time slots they don’t differ much team by team, that would suggest the majority of viewers are neutrals rather than fans of the two clubs taking part.

I 'm not really comparing the Suns, even though they are an expansion team. I noted the noted the Suns because I've never seen ratings quiet so bad in AFL. Didn't I mention that in my previous post, the part about the second Brisbane team .

If your talking about the Suns , the average in AFL in that slot would be 100k + more. If your talking about the Manly game 250k in that times slot, 235k on Sunday. Isn't that just an endorsement that the NRL have the right teams?

So you think the Gold Coast would get 250k in that time slot.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I 'm not really comparing the Suns, even though they are an expansion team. I noted the noted the Suns because I've never seen ratings quiet so bad in AFL. Didn't I mention that in my previous post, the part about the second Brisbane team .

If your talking about the Suns , the average in AFL in that slot would be 100k + more. If your talking about the Manly game 250k in that times slot, 235k on Sunday. Isn't that just an endorsement that the NRL have the right teams?

So you think the Gold Coast would get 250k in that time slot.

again why are you comparing any nrl game to an afl one? Or are you really suggesting an expansion team in that slot in place of manly would only draw that sort of audience? The facts would suggest you are completely wrong if you are.
Let’s look at the numbers shall we? 460k Fox subscribers, probably around 200-250k nrl fans. That means around an avg of 16k per team at best are watching nrl on fox. Quite clearly given games get around 150k-250k the majority of the audience are neutrals. Let’s say we booted manly, theoretically fox might lose around 10k subscribers but bringing in another big city team could deliver them more than that given population differences. That’s the cold hard no emotional commercial reality.