What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I'm not saying they chose the right option, but it is what it is. It didn't even have to be a full lockdown. All they had to do was ban all international travel a few months ago. We live on an island for f**k sake, it could have been isolated and dealt with by the rest of the world, with a fraction of the coming pain.n

Totally agree but labor would have been a bigger nightmare
Can you imagine Albo and co turning people away.
Sadly we’re stuck with no leaders

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm not saying they chose the right option, but it is what it is. It didn't even have to be a full lockdown. All they had to do was ban all international travel a few months ago. We live on an island for f**k sake, it could have been isolated and dealt with by the rest of the world, with a fraction of the coming pain. But good ole liberals, all about that sweet Chinese cash. Don't get me wrong, I want this shit gone as much as anyone else, but no amount of complaining for an entire lockdown will change this grub governments course of action

Pfft, please. The Libs would never say no to that sweet sweet Chinese New Year tourism cash....

It is interesting to know where we stand though. Money > health

simmo05

Bench
International travel wasn't the issue, it was the people who had already travelled and were trying to come back home, as Australians

you can't just leave them stranded
Exactly, hire a big f**king hotel, and keep them in it. Ban tourists, and properly quarantine returning tourists for 14 days. I don't know, somewhere like Christmas island? Easy fix

simmo05

Bench
Too late now, we reap what we sow. Hope everyone stays safe, and takes care of each other. Hoard your cash, not f**king toilet paper!

BunniesMan

Immortal
International travel wasn't the issue, it was the people who had already travelled and were trying to come back home, as Australians

you can't just leave them stranded
If the government went hard enough early enough it could have been handled. Not by banning incoming Australians but by strictly quarantining them. I can admit I wasn't taking it seriously a month ago but that is why I am not a member of parliament. If the politicians listened to the medical experts the worst of this could have been avoided.

Countries like South Korea and Singapore have handled this successfully with a scalpel while we only have a baseball bat.

blaza88z

Coach
The sad thing is around where I live people are carrying on with their lives like nothing has happened, still see people gathering in numbers. I don't think anything will change until it actually happens to them or someone they're closely related to

blaza88z

Coach
If the government went hard enough early enough it could have been handled. Not by banning incoming Australians but by strictly quarantining them. I can admit I wasn't taking it seriously a month ago but that is why I am not a member of parliament. If the politicians listened to the medical experts the worst of this could have been avoided.

Countries like South Korea and Singapore have handled this successfully with a scalpel while we only have a baseball bat.

No one has taken this seriously, even now people still aren't taking it seriously.

I went to see my GP about a month ago, the receptionist was asking everyone who came in if they had been overseas recently just as a matter of caution and the way people were responding, almost laughing at the fact that she was going down that road and asking that particular question.. who's laughing now?

No one has taken this seriously, even now people still aren't taking it seriously.

I went to see my GP about a month ago, the receptionist was asking everyone who came in if they had been overseas recently just as a matter of caution and the way people were responding, almost laughing at the fact that she was going down that road and asking that particular question.. who's laughing now?

Yes, it’s the “will never happen to me” syndrome.. sadly.

Knight76

Juniors
Yes, it’s the “will never happen to me” syndrome.. sadly.

Even after watching China with the virus and how quickly it spread there, when it started taking hold here people were still saying it's a media beat up, or each step the government took they were over re-acting!

It was no worse than flu apparently though how any intelligent person, after doing any research in to the mortality rate of Covid19 could think that is beyond me.

What concerns me is all this talk of flattening the curve. That signals to me, the gov is not trying to stamp it out, but just to slow it's spread to not overload the health system. It means the government is accepting that this virus is going to work it's way through the population infecting 20% - 60% and the best we can do is to make it take as long as we can.

Though, if you take in to consideration this business hibernation idea the PM talks about, it would appear likely he is trying to delay locking everything down until he has his ducks in a row so to speak. Then once he has his rules set how he wants them, call for the lock down at that point to hopefully minimise the lost businesses, and hasten the recovery.

And I am very concerned about where the US is heading though.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Labor forcing Queenslander’s to vote today while the nation is meant to be social distancing. Hopefully those cretins get turfed out.

simmo05

Bench
Labor forcing Queenslander’s to vote today while the nation is meant to be social distancing. Hopefully those cretins get turfed out.
Yeah nah, can't sit 10m away from someone at a beach, but we can all pile in and vote. It must be because scummo has deemed schools to be virus free zones. Pathetic mixed messages from all levels of government

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Even after watching China with the virus and how quickly it spread there, when it started taking hold here people were still saying it's a media beat up, or each step the government took they were over re-acting!

It was no worse than flu apparently though how any intelligent person, after doing any research in to the mortality rate of Covid19 could think that is beyond me.

What concerns me is all this talk of flattening the curve. That signals to me, the gov is not trying to stamp it out, but just to slow it's spread to not overload the health system. It means the government is accepting that this virus is going to work it's way through the population infecting 20% - 60% and the best we can do is to make it take as long as we can.

Though, if you take in to consideration this business hibernation idea the PM talks about, it would appear likely he is trying to delay locking everything down until he has his ducks in a row so to speak. Then once he has his rules set how he wants them, call for the lock down at that point to hopefully minimise the lost businesses, and hasten the recovery.

‘we been lucky so far as it’s not winter like in Europe, im Like you concerned as I think there will be massive spike in winter

unforgiven

Bench

That is exactly what we are trying to do!

Cactus

Juniors
Yeah nah, can't sit 10m away from someone at a beach, but we can all pile in and vote. It must be because scummo has deemed schools to be virus free zones. Pathetic mixed messages from all levels of government

Its this sort of sideline political commentary that is f**king unhelpful. The suggestion is just wrong.

Morrison has not deemed anything like schools in Qld to be virus free. Hyperbole personified.

The reason you are receiving a so called mixed message is because State Governments do not simply take orders from the Prime Minister/Federal Gov on how to run their state or how to run their elections.

Morrison cannot simply call up Astayinasia Inapalacestay and tell her to halt the local gov election. It does not work like that.

Im concerned about the USA too. Similar land mass to us but over 10 times the population and cities / towns in close proximity..

With “flattening the curve” I don’t think this means basically to slow it rather than cure it.. as getting to here appears to be “stage 1” - stopping the spread.. then once there, can help hopefully cure it.

Like many countries, Australia is in a unique position but economically we might be in one of the worst positions.. a perfect storm of..

1 Recent catastrophic bushfires
2 Coronavirus
3 Economic “partnership” (aka reliance) with China.

forgetting about 3 for a minute, the first two are back to back and both 1 in 100 year events ... the fires severely hurt our economy but the virus on the back of it is almost a killer blow. I get health is number 1 priority but if the economy sinks to the absolute depths then what we are seeing now in society will be nothing compared to the jobless, poverty, breadlines, homeless, and an endless line of other social issues that will plague us. Possibly worse than the Great Depression is a real risk..

So the government indeed should be doing everything to salvage what it can of the economy... or... do they go to point 3 and look to China to save us... which effectively could mean ownership of us...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im concerned about the USA too. Similar land mass to us but over 10 times the population and cities / towns in close proximity..

With “flattening the curve” I don’t think this means basically to slow it rather than cure it.. as getting to here appears to be “stage 1” - stopping the spread.. then once there, can help stop/hopefully cure it.

Like many countries, Australia is in a unique position but economically we might be in one of the worst positions.. a perfect storm of..

1 Recent catastrophic bushfires
2 Coronavirus
3 Economic “partnership” (aka reliance) with China.

forgetting about 3 for a minute, the first two are back to back and both 1 in 100 year events ... the fires severely hurt our economy but the virus on the back of it is almost a killer blow. I get health is number 1 priority but if the economy sinks to the absolute depths then what we are seeing now in society will be nothing compared to the jobless, poverty, breadlines, homeless, and an endless line of other social issues that will plague us. Possibly worse than the Great Depression is a real risk..

So the government indeed should be doing everything to salvage what it can of the economy... or... do they go to point 3 and look to China to save us... which effectively could mean ownership of us...

surely our export trade will prevent a Great Depression scenario? We still export billions of resources and food which will continue to be bought by China and others.

Latest posts