What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warhammer/Warhammer 40'000

Misanthrope

Staff member
It has come to my attention that there's quite a little community of Games Workshop plastic crack addicts on LU without any place to talk about the hobby.

I've been collecting since 1996, with a decent-sized Eldar army that I've not looked at since the early 00s. I've now got around 3,000 points of unpainted Chaos for Age of Sigmar, a Sylvaneth Start Collecting (unpainted), and the Astra Militarum Battle Force (unpainted).

While all of my Eldar are painted, the only models I've painted in the last 5-6 years have been a unit of Chaos Warriors. I'm f**king terrible at actually painting the bastards.

bileduct

Coach
Yeah I started collecting around the same time, and my collection is pretty much limited to the old pewter/white metal miniatures of that era. I've got a shitload of Chaos (mainly Nurgle) and a Sisters of Battle army. I played a few games back in the late 90s, but nothing since then.

I'm terrible at painting, because I could never understand which colours to use for highlighting, etc., didn't understand how to use washes or glazes, But I've been watching a lot of painting tutorials lately and have become interested in collecting again.

This dude is pretty good...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1MWcqIPR8JI1A_I3N0X1VQ

Misanthrope

Staff member
I have my fair share of white metal and old school metal, but man are the new plastic kits something to behold.

I'm really keen to see what happens with this new (old) Old World project. I do like elements of Age of Sigmar, but I was always more drawn to the grittiness of the original Warhammer setting.

Exsilium

First Grade
My wife loves painting those things. She’s made battlegrounds and lifelike buildings etc. It’s a real art and I’ve got zero patience for that stuff.

I’ve always admired the level of detail that goes into these types of hobbies/games. You can take it as far as you want to go and that creative enterprise is what’s great about it all.

Misanthrope

Staff member
My wife loves painting those things. She’s made battlegrounds and lifelike buildings etc. It’s a real art and I’ve got zero patience for that stuff.

I’ve always admired the level of detail that goes into these types of hobbies/games. You can take it as far as you want to go and that creative enterprise is what’s great about it all.

What does she collect?

Pommy

Coach
I started around the end of 2nd ed 40k and played until about 2003ish then got back in to it when I moved here. I was homesick as hell and found it really mediative, it’s done wonders for my mental health and probably saved my marriage in all honesty.
Unfortunately I sold all my old stuff when I bought my first house in around 2009, there’s something’s in that collection I really wish I had. My first model for instance was a shit space ork biker but it was my shit space ork biker.

In 40k I have Custodes, thousand sons and I’m about to start a word bearer/knight army.
In age of Sigmar I play slaanesh daemons, I started that before they got there book so don’t hate me for being a power gamer.

I’m also a big reader of black library, mostly 30k and 40k.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I started around the end of 2nd ed 40k and played until about 2003ish then got back in to it when I moved here. I was homesick as hell and found it really mediative, it’s done wonders for my mental health and probably saved my marriage in all honesty.
Unfortunately I sold all my old stuff when I bought my first house in around 2009, there’s something’s in that collection I really wish I had. My first model for instance was a shit space ork biker but it was my shit space ork biker.

In 40k I have Custodes, thousand sons and I’m about to start a word bearer/knight army.
In age of Sigmar I play slaanesh daemons, I started that before they got there book so don’t hate me for being a power gamer.

I’m also a big reader of black library, mostly 30k and 40k.

I really want to get into reading the Horus Heresy stuff, but there is so damned much of it and I can't figure out where I should start or which books I should read.

Any good reading order lists you'd recommend?

Pommy

Coach
I really want to get into reading the Horus Heresy stuff, but there is so damned much of it and I can't figure out where I should start or which books I should read.

Any good reading order lists you'd recommend?

I’m doing it in order of release, I think it’s taken me 2.5 years to get to book 26. I have read other BL amongst that as well. The only real stinker so far was 25.
I feel like the first 4 are essential to start with, most people will say only the first 3 but I disagree. After that the books do jump around anyway.
What factions would you be interested in?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I’m doing it in order of release, I think it’s taken me 2.5 years to get to book 26. I have read other BL amongst that as well. The only real stinker so far was 25.
I feel like the first 4 are essential to start with, most people will say only the first 3 but I disagree. After that the books do jump around anyway.
What factions would you be interested in?

I'm mostly interested to read the history of the Horus Hersey. I know the quality varies between authors, but I'm currently fighting my way through Descent of Angels, which is the first novel according to this chronological reading order.

Pommy

Coach
I'm mostly interested to read the history of the Horus Hersey. I know the quality varies between authors, but I'm currently fighting my way through Descent of Angels, which is the first novel according to this chronological reading order.

so when I read that book I found it really dragged on and by the end I had a pretty negative view of it. Once I read Fallen angels my opinion changed totally, it’s the foundation that story arc needs.

Misanthrope

Staff member
so when I read that book I found it really dragged on and by the end I had a pretty negative view of it. Once I read Fallen angels my opinion changed totally, it’s the foundation that story arc needs.

It feels like the origin story nobody needed, told from the perspective of not the guy you want to learn about haha

Pommy

Coach
It feels like the origin story nobody needed, told from the perspective of not the guy you want to learn about haha

I really wouldn’t have advised that as the forst book to read. What’s the next on that list, first heretic? If so you’re in for a treat next, anything by ADB is amazing.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It suggests the Tales of Heresy collection followed by Legion and then Horus Rising. Including short stories and novellas (which I'll skip), First Heretic comes up at #33 in the reading order behind stuff like Thousand Suns, The Flight of the Eisenstein, and Fallen Angels.

Pommy

Coach
It suggests the Tales of Heresy collection followed by Legion and then Horus Rising. Including short stories and novellas (which I'll skip), First Heretic comes up at #33 in the reading order behind stuff like Thousand Suns, The Flight of the Eisenstein, and Fallen Angels.

Thats a really strange reading order as first heretic is set before the heresy, probably after decent but certainly before the vast majority.
If you’re not going to read the full lot I wouldn’t bother with the short story collections. There’s some good short stories amongst the chaff but for the most part they’re forgettable.

Exsilium

First Grade
What does she collect?

She doesn’t collect any. Her brother did and she did all the artistic work for him. A few friends had her paint their sets.

If I had more time, I’d be right into Warhammer but once I start , it’s a deep rabbit hole. Can’t risk being lost to another hobby :joy:

Misanthrope

Staff member
She doesn’t collect any. Her brother did and she did all the artistic work for him. A few friends had her paint their sets.

If I had more time, I’d be right into Warhammer but once I start , it’s a deep rabbit hole. Can’t risk being lost to another hobby :joy:

It’s a bloody expensive hobby too. They charge a premium for their models. They’re admittedly very good, but my wife can’t get her head around the price.

Pommy

Coach

If you haven’t fallen in you’ve probably no idea how true that actually is. It can be quite consuming if you let it.

t-ba

Post Whore
Thin your f**king paints Superman.

Not terrible, but trust the dude playing Superman to play bloody Custodes.

Latest posts