What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye friz

Dragon David

First Grade
OK Tyson has left because he thinks the knights will win a comp / paid a bit more/ wanted a change / didn’t like the coach. Such is how it goes. I wanted him to stay but not over the odds. Apparently the knights offer $30k a year over Dragons at $2.1m for 3 years.

Like or dislike Millward his interview seemed to indicate that he wasn’t that fussed, even a bit annoyed. A strong offer was placed on the table and Tyson knocked it back. A poster on here recently noted that Tyson is a good player but not great.

2020 now a write off anyway. Good luck to Tyson.
That poster is me!

Tyson has said that the aim of playing footy is to win a comp and not much for the money (well it comes in handy Tyson my friend). His decision to sign up for 3 years with the Knights clearly shows that he has no faith in McGregor (took him a while to determine this) and that in his experienced mind, the Dragons have no chance of winning the comp in the next 3 years.

So now we know that we have no chance of winning the comp in 3 years. Tyson should be in the know because he has been part of the rot we have at the club and knows first hand that we are rubbish. That is why he didn't re-sign with us.

By joining the Knights he must sense that they have a good chance of winning the comp in the next 3 years. They have some good players - one stand out in Ponga - but they are not great and Tyson will bring to the Knights not much more than as a good player. However, from the games that I have seen of Newcastle this year (yes I know there have only been 2), Adam O'Brien has got the players working better as a team and that is the ingredient for success.

Our games, in most of the years McGregor has coached the guys, have been reliant on a handful of guys and not gelling as a team overall and that is why we have had little success.

So from this, Tyson is right in that McGregor is a dud and that we will not win the comp in the next 3 years. Enjoy!

thebigredv

First Grade
Tyson's not really what I call a match winner. He was looking most effective in the two games we saw this year. Maybe that's because he was being used correctly finally or trying to impress his new suitors. He's always tried hard but he continues to have issues with converting opportunities near the line, and was being used as a ramrod in prior years which was just dumb.

If we weren't being given the perspective on life of a pandemic I'd probably be more disappointed. I don't really know what to think but I think he can be replaced. I also think he is smart to get away from our coach.

possm

Coach
millward must have been biting his tongue in the interview and playing a straight bat. Could only say we offered a substantial offer and 1 fitting of a marquee player . Didnt really dwell on tyson going just well we are covered so we may buy anyone that could fit into our top 30.. Must be hard for him knowing we "matched " the offer ( or very close ) but tyson wanted to win a comp !! hard to swallow for a recruitment manager ... just shows that supercoach is now hopefully on shaky ground .. remember it was only a few weeks ago in his famed interview that he mentioned numerous times " if the players didnt want him he would go " ( words to that effect) remember tyson wanted to have his deal done before round 1 yet nothing happened and we were convinced he would stay. Well in 2 losing games Tyson has decided to go as he can see NO light at the end of the tunnel - so supercoach the first player has voted with his feet - how are you going to spin this one out to deflect blame on yourself
Millward as part of his empire is head of player retention. Surely in that role he should have a very good sense of what the players feel about the head coach. Let's hope our new CEO knows exactly what to do with such information.

possm

Coach
Tyson's not really what I call a match winner. He was looking most effective in the two games we saw this year. Maybe that's because he was being used correctly finally or trying to impress his new suitors. He's always tried hard but he continues to have issues with converting opportunities near the line, and was being used as a ramrod in prior years which was just dumb.

If we weren't being given the perspective on life of a pandemic I'd probably be more disappointed. I don't really know what to think but I think he can be replaced. I also think he is smart to get away from our coach.
Fifita to replace Frizell! Get on with it Millward.

BLM01

First Grade
That poster is me!

Tyson has said that the aim of playing footy is to win a comp and not much for the money (well it comes in handy Tyson my friend). His decision to sign up for 3 years with the Knights clearly shows that he has no faith in McGregor (took him a while to determine this) and that in his experienced mind, the Dragons have no chance of winning the comp in the next 3 years.

So now we know that we have no chance of winning the comp in 3 years. Tyson should be in the know because he has been part of the rot we have at the club and knows first hand that we are rubbish. That is why he didn't re-sign with us.

By joining the Knights he must sense that they have a good chance of winning the comp in the next 3 years. They have some good players - one stand out in Ponga - but they are not great and Tyson will bring to the Knights not much more than as a good player. However, from the games that I have seen of Newcastle this year (yes I know there have only been 2), Adam O'Brien has got the players working better as a team and that is the ingredient for success.

Our games, in most of the years McGregor has coached the guys, have been reliant on a handful of guys and not gelling as a team overall and that is why we have had little success.

So from this, Tyson is right in that McGregor is a dud and that we will not win the comp in the next 3 years. Enjoy!
But mary said while ever I am here Tyson will be here.
So Mary must have told Tyson he too will be gone by next year.
That is what Mary will say why Tyson left.
Over to you now Mary to hold up your end of the bargain and also leave by 2021

Old Timer

Coach
That poster is me!

Excellent appraisal.
I am sure TF would be happy to make the semis and at least have a shot at getting to a GF and that is the even more concerning underlying element.
Not only doesn't he see us as a GF team he doesn't even think we are a semi final team.

Excellent appraisal.
I am sure TF would be happy to make the semis and at least have a shot at getting to a GF and that is the even more concerning underlying element.
Not only doesn't he see us as a GF team he doesn't even think we are a semi final team.

Simple answer is, he is correct.

No semis for us until change of Head Coach and the change needs to be an outsider and not Dean Young.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/27/dragons-hunting-speed-over-size-to-replace-frizell/

If we offer Addo-Carr the same money that we offered Frizell, we're f**king daft.

JAC would give us much needed speed, but he's a winger. Wingers are not worth that sort of money unless it's Semi Radradra.

If we're not careful our forward stocks are going to drop to the level they were when Price (and the early Mary years) was coaching.
Frizell, likely JDB, Graham (albeit not even half the player he was) all gone next year. Kerr looks likely to step up, but Blocker is a bit of a plodder these days and I have no faith in Host filling that void. Don't even get me started on Merrin.

D.Fifita is the only like-for-like replacement/upgrade, and everyone is in for him.

Dragon David

First Grade
Excellent appraisal.
I agree with you.

I'm also wondering if he has any knowledge no matter how small about what the coaching structure for the Dragons will be post McGregor. I have a suspicion, and like a lot us who speculate on these forums, that some time in 2021, like April/May, the Dragons will announce that Flanagan will be our head coach for 2022 so that the vultures from other clubs don't nab him first to replace their coaches.

So, is this still a problem and does TF feel that 2022 is too far away to wait to even reach semi-final football or that he just thinks the Dragons are a basket case even if Flanno was the coach? Hard to say or is TF being a bad judge of what's around the corner.

It would be fantastic that in the next 3 years we do make the semis and greater still if we made it to the grand final and TF not reaching that limelight with the Knights.

If Flanno was announced in early 2021 to be our head coach starting in 2022, it might make the Dragons more appealing for better players to join us and Flanno and Millward could start the planning process of recruitment a lot sooner. Who knows? Food for thought!

Losing friz was a fail of the highest order.

He’s a world class player, loves the physical side, dominant in every respect. He’s not easily replaced by anyone in the game let alone “emerging talent”

He’s rare.

The Mary elite really f**ked this up.

You need a genuine superstar to replace him. Still the market should be fresher and players cheaper in 2021.

emu62

Juniors
Apparently Newcastle has no coach at the moment At least Tyson doesn't have to adapt , as
he hasnt had one for F##ken years. Pardon the French

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Word is that the Saints leaked his signing to the media at this time to get back at him and Newcastle. If that is true and we do take the paddock again this season I don't see Friz realistically being able to play again id say he be pretty pissed about it. If true its pretty bad form by the club imo.