What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

CC_Roosters

First Grade
not reallly, a disfunctional nrl plays into their hands. The more the clubs and states continue to block the commission from doing what it needs to do the more power the tv companies hold.

my feelings on such a reorganisation of the games structure by conspiracy from the club's and TV powerbrokers will finish me with the professional game in Australia.

Canard

Immortal
my feelings on such a reorganisation of the games structure by conspiracy from the club's and TV powerbrokers will finish me with the professional game in Australia.

Mate, guys like @Perth Red think there is some sort of all omnipotent ARLC that will reshape the game into some ideal vision once we come out of this crisis.

If this drags on, the reality is, Rugby League will be scratching around trying to get any money they can to start a bare bones comp, and the ARLC will all be long gone.

Wizardman

First Grade
Mate, guys like @Perth Red think there is some sort of all omnipotent ARLC that will reshape the game into some ideal vision once we come out of this crisis.

If this drags on, the reality is, Rugby League will be scratching around trying to get any money they can to start a bare bones comp, and the ARLC will all be long gone.

Make no mistake, if we have no comp this year (which is looking increasingly likely) professional rugby league will have a very different look in 2021.

Some clubs simply won't survive this.....and the clubs that do will be operating with less clout than they did a year ago. The pain from this will not be completely healed at the start of 2021. The sponsorship dollar will be much harder to come by. While union may not be a threat here, the rich English Rugby Union may look to poach some top liners looking to top up their bank accounts.

I don't see this restructuring of the game as a totally bad thing to be honest. While I am a fan of a Sydney club, most people would admit that it has not been sustainable to have that many and has not been for a very long time. Even if my club goes belly up, I'd continue to watch and support the game. If my club went belly up due to Super League, I'd be a bitter bloke. If it is due to this corona virus, I'd be a lot more understanding of the situation.

Canard

Immortal
Make no mistake, if we have no comp this year (which is looking increasingly likely) professional rugby league will have a very different look in 2021.

Some clubs simply won't survive this.....and the clubs that do will be operating with less clout than they did a year ago. The pain from this will not be completely healed at the start of 2021. The sponsorship dollar will be much harder to come by. While union may not be a threat here, the rich English Rugby Union may look to poach some top liners looking to top up their bank accounts.

I don't see this restructuring of the game as a totally bad thing to be honest. While I am a fan of a Sydney club, most people would admit that it has not been sustainable to have that many and has not been for a very long time. Even if my club goes belly up, I'd continue to watch and support the game. If my club went belly up due to Super League, I'd be a bitter bloke. If it is due to this corona virus, I'd be a lot more understanding of the situation.

I agree with the majority of this, as its essentially restating my view.

The one that I'm almost certain about is that there will be no "board" or body restructuring the game. It will just be whatever bones of club's are left scrambling to see if they can form a comp.

There will be no money spent on creating new teams or competitions.

As for overseas challenges, I'd say anything that's not Soccer is just as f**ked in terms of viability if this goes long-term, and who knows what travel restrictions might exist for years.

Sadly, I think the Warriors and Bulldogs have played their last game in the NRL.

I continue to laugh at people saying "if" the season restarts there won't need to be an asterisk for the comp winner...despite the suspension of play for three months, oh and let's play quarters...sixteen minute quarters...at that, in December.

FMD.

I reckon we'll be lucky if 10 teams resume.

The season is a write off.

And as this virus unfolds and the economic disaster takes hold...footy will be the least of our worries. Granted it can act as a diversion and something to bring people back together...eventually. The million dollar footy players will be a thing of the past for a decade. Sponsors won't be there, media is fked. Clubs will be wearing Best & Less jerseys.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Sadly, I think the Warriors and Bulldogs have played their last game in the NRL.

I continue to laugh at people saying "if" the season restarts there won't need to be an asterisk for the comp winner...despite the suspension of play for three months, oh and let's play quarters...sixteen minute quarters...at that, in December.

FMD.

I reckon we'll be lucky if 10 teams resume.

The season is a write off.

And as this virus unfolds and the economic disaster takes hold...footy will be the least of our worries. Granted it can act as a diversion and something to bring people back together...eventually. The million dollar footy players will be a thing of the past for a decade. Sponsors won't be there, media is fked. Clubs will be wearing Best & Less jerseys.
I reckon you’re right. This season is OVER. Any other message is akin to telling fans Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are real.

Exsilium

First Grade
Even if the game is given the all clear, the season should not be played out. Leave that for 2021.

That being said, I feel as though we need to put some sort of show on. If it’s at all possible, any form of football will be better than nothing.

Play for zero points, play exhibition games for the fans, anything to boost moral and get the game back on track for 2021.

Even if the game is given the all clear, the season should not be played out. Leave that for 2021.

That being said, I feel as though we need to put some sort of show on. If it’s at all possible, any form of football will be better than nothing.

Play for zero points, play exhibition games for the fans, anything to boost moral and get the game back on track for 2021.

100%

Here's an opportunity for the NRL - if they're able - to try something different. Like the post-war Victory games. Clubs or rep teams...etc.

Players (and society) won't be fit, in the right headspace, will be financially suffering. The NRL, clubs and players could do so much good with goodwill games.

There's no easy fix and I'm trying to stay positive. The game and society are resilient. Hope for the best. Adapt and survive.

Can someone please explain this to me:

1. The AFL are going to extend their current TV rights deal for another two years at its current value, while

2. Channel Nine wants to tear up the existing NRL tv rights deal and renegotiate?

How did we get into that situation?

sempmrh

Juniors

1. The AFL are going to extend their current TV rights deal for another two years at its current value, while

2. Channel Nine wants to tear up the existing NRL tv rights deal and renegotiate?

The people running our game are gutless.

Wizardman

First Grade

Even the biggest rugby league fan has to admit that in terms of management, afl has kicked rugby league's ass...always has in Australian sports.
Rugby league management over the years has ranged from bad to disgraceful over the years. Afl has always been a step ahead of us.

Wizardman

First Grade
Watch the rugby league media be complete bitches over the next few months. They have already started with various situations at Souths.

The media slant on the current situation...

Ch 9 and Fox holding payments.

Start kicking the stuffing out the NRL / ARLC.

Game on its knees...broken, bleeding, bankrupted.

Woo players on side.

Swoop in and be the white knights with a "new" comp, payment structure, clubs, TV deal.

Voila...

Thank God for St Paul, patron saint of Kents.

axl rose

Bench
Woo players on side.

Swoop in and be the white knights with a "new" comp, payment structure, clubs, TV deal.

This. Would the NRL or whoever takes over be better off producing broadcasts in-house rather than the pittance 9 will offer? For the streaming side of things they can just buy Kayo since its worth about $1 now.

Wizardman

First Grade
Is he entitled to it, is it less than he would be entitled to?

Entitlements aren't greed or selfishness imo.
Bennett is entitled to his pay, players are entitled.....but will get very little of what they are entitled to.

Meanwhile, Richo is bailing with 6 months worth of pay that he hasn't worked for. Sure, he is probably saving Souths some money but taking a full six months pay that you haven't worked for while most others will be sacked or take huge paycuts is not a good look.

Richo is exiting league on a pretty damn good deal compared to what most will will be getting.