What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

Frederick

Staff member
Yeah, the history element would interest me. Not a Michael Bay fan though haha
Think a cross between the action of the Indiana Jones movies, with the scale of a Michael bay film. Plenty of ancient civilizations and tombs and traps and shit, but also lots of death and destruction and betrayal and pretty much everything

So, in these "difficult" times...maybe you want something to read. You could do worse. Sadly, it doesn't come in paper format so you can wipe your ar$e with it. But have fun nonetheless.

Oh, and listen to plenty of Queen, Gary Numan, Thompson Twins, Ultravox, Joy Division, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode and Duran Duran.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/177699342-alistair-raven-and-the-stormtrooper-in-stilettos

And once you're done with the cliche, tropes and implausible plotting and inconsistent characterisations, read some of the sequel...

https://www.wattpad.com/story/197103316-alistair-raven-and-the-army-of-the-rising-sons

Perth Tiger

Bench
So I am guessing lots of people have more time to read. Anyone reading or reading any good newish sci-fi series? Looking for a replacement for the expanse series

King hit

Coach
The big O the life and times of Olsen Filipina

Interesting story about the life of Olsen Filipina and the impact he left upon Rugby League. Strange to think these days that a Kiwi playing in Australia was a novelty just 30 years ago. Was a victim of the times as coaches in Australia just couldn't understand him the way Kiwi coaches could which meant he was at his best when playing for NZ. He also had to overcome prejudice and social barriers as well throughout his career even in NZ.

the-big-o.jpg

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Reading Asimov's works at the moment.
At least what's available on Kindle which isn't much tbh. Currently reading the Foundation series. Hopefully with the TV series coming soon the rest of them will be available.
I've read the Robots series earlier in the year.

RedVDave

First Grade
I have recently read all of the Jack reacher series by Lee Child (24 books thus far and another one on the way soon) really incredible series for those who enjoy crime novels.

David Lagergrantz has picked up the girl with the dragon tattoo series by the deceased Steig Larson I was sceptical but he has done an amazing job and added 3 incredible books to this crime series.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Reading Asimov's works at the moment.
At least what's available on Kindle which isn't much tbh. Currently reading the Foundation series. Hopefully with the TV series coming soon the rest of them will be available.
I've read the Robots series earlier in the year.

I recently read the Foundation series and really enjoyed it, although I thought the first book was by far the best of the three

Eelectrica

Referee
I recently read the Foundation series and really enjoyed it, although I thought the first book was by far the best of the three
I'm now up to book 3 which I'll probably start next week, but so far I did like the first. I feel like I'll read it again to see whatvI missed the firsr time around.
It's interesting to see how much modern Sci Fi is inspired by that series.

gUt

Coach
Thunderbolt kid is the only book of his I didn't like so far.

Latest readings:

The Third Chimpanzee - Jared Diamond
Stephen Fry in America - Stephen Fry
Churchill - Andrew Roberts

gUt

Coach
So I am guessing lots of people have more time to read. Anyone reading or reading any good newish sci-fi series? Looking for a replacement for the expanse series

Not newish but the best I have read is the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. Get on it if you haven't.

Matua

Bench
I need to read these before the tv show starts.

Anything Bill Bryson can be laugh-out-loud funny - Give Down Under a read, or The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.
The funny thing with reading some of them now is how much the technology and way of travelling has changed. They'd be less entertaining now as it would be booked on Booking.com, picked up by uber, ate after checking review etc.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I need to read these before the tv show starts.

The funny thing with reading some of them now is how much the technology and way of travelling has changed. They'd be less entertaining now as it would be booked on Booking.com, picked up by uber, ate after checking review etc.
Oh I agree completely - He's just a ridiculously entertaining writer with a quick wit and brilliant ability to draw the reader in.