What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL makes the BIG call - Statewide comps canned for 2020

expansionist

Juniors
So whats everyones take on this?

Ive heard a couple of differing opinions on it - but in any case it raises some concerns about some clubs survival.

I have to say I feel for the Q Cup people. Its such a strong and demanding comp, with players who dont earn even a living wage on the whole, and while there are a heap of dinosaurs in administration amongst the clubs, there are some genuinely good people with no ongoing employment now. A sad outcome.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I get the feeling that this is a "cut the losses" move. Waiting around for a part competition later on the year and keeping everyone on the books was certainly going to be more expensive that just hibernating everything now.

The Partisan

So whats everyones take on this?

Ive heard a couple of differing opinions on it - but in any case it raises some concerns about some clubs survival.

I have to say I feel for the Q Cup people. Its such a strong and demanding comp, with players who dont earn even a living wage on the whole, and while there are a heap of dinosaurs in administration amongst the clubs, there are some genuinely good people with no ongoing employment now. A sad outcome.

I think that the QRL probably had to weigh up all the costs involved in a shortened season - say max 4 months for ISC / HS20's - against the revenue made from the domestic comps then factor in the possible costs involved with the loss of Origin as well. Think they would have been in the red a fair margin.

The Partisan

It really was a great season. Round 1 was exceptional.

Certainly gets my vote as Round of the season. Has there been any announcement of when the QRL Awards night is ? Votes for the Player of the year would have to be close.